Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

Share/Bookmark
  1. Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

I'm new to the forum but not to Nodal Ninja having previously owned an SPH-1 and now a NN3 but mostly using the NN5L.

I use my Nikon D300 WiTH MB-D10 attached. I have a Really Right Stuff BMBD10 QR plate permanently attached to the D300/MB-D10. I also have the NN Arca Style QR adapter permanently mounted to the NN5 Camera mounting plate. This allows me to quickly attach and remove the camera plus easily adjust the upper rail setting to suit my various lenses. In order to use this setup requires a bit more travel along the lower rail than is available without modification. To do this you need to 'mod' the lower rail of the NN5 buy filing down just the 'ridge' at the end of the lower rail. Doing this will allow you an additional 6mm (approximately) of travel along the lower rail. Basically the vertical arm is allowed to move as far along the lower rail as it's mounting bolt will allow. This setting (~LR_122) works perfectly with the D300/MD-D10/RRS BMBD10/NNQR/NNCP combo.

I use the following Upper Rail settings:

Sigma 8mm f/3.5 70

Sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm 89
    @ 14mm 91
    @ 20mm 95

Nikon 17-55/2.8 @ 17mm 122
    @ 24mm 110
    @ 35mm 104
    @ 55mm 100

Nikon 17-35/2.8 @ 17mm 110.5
    @ 24mm 106.5
    @ 35mm 106.5

Nikon 28-70/2.8 @ 28mm 122
    @ 35mm 115
    @ 50mm 100
    @ 70mm 101

Hope some will find this useful.

My QTVRs can be seen here: http://www.rogerhein.com/galleries/inMotion/index.html

Roger...
    P.S. Hey Nick, sure would be nice if there was a slightly longer lower rail available
  2. Re: Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

Appreciate the detailed feedback. Can you share with us some photos of your setup/mod?
    thanks
    Bill
  3. Hey Bill

Does this situation sound familiar?

We exchanged a few E-Mails relating to a very similar problem involving my D200 with RRS L plate and the Arca Swiss release.

Dave
  4. Re: Hey Bill

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog2 View Post
    Does this situation sound familiar?

We exchanged a few E-Mails relating to a very similar problem involving my D200 with RRS L plate and the Arca Swiss release.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

If you use RRS level clamp, I can offer you a thin adapter that should solve the problem.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

Here's some quickpics of my setup - sorry for the quality, I only have one 'digi' and had to borrow a p+s to take these.

Roger...

6. Re: Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

Users Country Flag

Hi Roger,

Nice work. Maybe I can do the same mod for some units before painting. I will look more elegant.

nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

Thanks Nick! Actually I had to do a similar mod to my NN3 w/D80 + 10.5mm and QR clamp and plate. For that one I only needed to 'shave off' part of the 'foot' (>3mm) at the base of the vertical arm to achieve enough travel along the base horizontal arm. Worked like a charm.

Roger...
  8. Re: Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

Uh-oh. Hopefully the D3 isn't any bigger than the D300 with the grip. I just got my NN5L for my D3 - I'm very impressed with the sole exception that I didn't realize how difficult and time consuming it would be to mount the camera to the arm. I just ordered the NN AR clamp - it seems like I have plenty of room to slide still horizontally, so hopefully it works. If not, thanks for the tip!
  9. Re: Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

Users Country Flag

The D100/200/300 with grip seem biggest. D1/2/3 and 1D seriss are smaller.
    The camera mounting plate is just an intermediate solution. We are working on QR systems.

nick

Fanotec
  10. Re: Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

To my unexperienced eyes the easy solution would be to have a slightly longer lower rail. I think just 1 cm longer in 'usable' travel would be wonderful and not add significantly to the size/weight of the unit.

Roger...
  11. Re: Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

Users Country Flag

Hi Roger,

Yes, this is my mistake. 1cm longer will make many people happier.

nick

Fanotec
  12. Re: Nikon D300 and NN5L - Some lens settings

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    The D100/200/300 with grip seem biggest. D1/2/3 and 1D seriss are smaller.
    The camera mounting plate is just an intermediate solution. We are working on QR systems.
    Just got my QR plate (Bill - thanks a ton for getting it out so fast!), and can confirm it works perfectly with the D3 - no need to file anything down. I guess it would be nice to have a QR plate that sits right in the rail (in place of the mounting block) to eliminate one joint, but I have no complaints. Now that I've got the whole thing put together, I'm extremely impressed - smooth motion, easy to set up, and seems to hold this brick of a camera beautifully.
+ Reply to Thread