Charles Bridge, Prague

Thread: Charles Bridge, Prague

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Charles Bridge, Prague

here we go, charles bridge, prague, shot with nikon D80/nikkor 18-70mm at 18mm, brackets of -2, 0, +2 ev, merged and stitched in hugin, then tone mapped in photomatrix. this was shot with my trusty old NN3. two rows of seven images and three brackets for a total of 42 images into hugin.

-- michael

ps: resized the image with the recipe that terry provided, looks much better i think. the full size 16b tif looks fabulous, i sent a copy off to be printed 12"x30", hope it turns out nice.
  2. Re: Charles Bridge, Prague

Not sure if it's me but the pano appears out of focus (still waking up). It is easy to see the great results you can achieve using bracketed shots. Thanks for sharing.
  3. Re: Charles Bridge, Prague

yeah, it looked like that after i downsized and converted to jpeg :-\

i'll try another downsize this evening ....

-- michael
  4. Re: Charles Bridge, Prague

what software do you use to downsize? I believe one of the better ones is Photoshop under the menu: Help/Resize. Gives you better control over the compression.
  5. Re: Charles Bridge, Prague

i use photoshop, image resize. reattached a new one from gimp. still looks soft to me. original was 450Mb 16b tif, i convert to 8b, then resize down to 1500x650 or whatever it sizes too. i guess i need to find a tutorial on resizing.

-- michael
  6. Re: Charles Bridge, Prague

7. Re: Charles Bridge, Prague

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by michael_tn View Post
    i use photoshop, image resize. reattached a new one from gimp. still looks soft to me. original was 450Mb 16b tif, i convert to 8b, then resize down to 1500x650 or whatever it sizes too. i guess i need to find a tutorial on resizing.

-- michael
    I resize in photoshop to 50% greater than I want to end up, but keep it at 300dpi
    I then resharpen to taste.
    Then I do a save for web at the size I want to end up. That way I find it stays sharp. I only change to Jpg at the last save.
    I usually do it in two stages because most images are too large to use ,save to web, directly.
  8. Re: Charles Bridge, Prague

ok, i will give that a try this evening, thanks ...

-- michael
  9. Re: Charles Bridge, Prague

Hello Michael,

Besides the issue that the image is a little unsharp it is fine ;-)

I am told that approx. 6.000.000 tourists are visiting Prague each year so it must be a very crowded city.
    The bridge is one of the most famous bridges in Prague so I wonder how you got this scene with so few people on it. ?

BTW, This year in August I will visit Prague for the first time for the annual PanoTools Meeting.
    When I looked at your image I saw 2 spots that I will see very often by then, the Towers at the end of the bridge (the hotel is less then 100 m from there) and the other bridge that is very close to the FAMU (the University that will host the Meeting.

Best,
    Wim.

10. Re: Charles Bridge, Prague

Quote Originally Posted by Wim.Koornneef View Post
    Hello Michael,

Besides the issue that the image is a little unsharp it is fine ;-)

I am told that approx. 6.000.000 tourists are visiting Prague each year so it must be a very crowded city.
    The bridge is one of the most famous bridges in Prague so I wonder how you got this scene with so few people on it. ?

BTW, This year in August I will visit Prague for the first time for the annual PanoTools Meeting.
    When I looked at your image I saw 2 spots that I will see very often by then, the Towers at the end of the bridge (the hotel is less then 100 m from there) and the other bridge that is very close to the FAMU (the University that will host the Meeting.

Best,
    Wim.

wim, thanks :-)

its easy to get charles bridge with few people on it, go early in the morning. i shot this one about 6:30am, it was trying to drizzle rain a bit. was a nice shoot. both ends of the bridge are quite photogenic, i like the crosses at this end the best, i found them most dramatic. hopefully i have the image downsized in a better way now, thanks terry!

-- michael

ps, prague is a great city, i hope you enjoyed it as much as i did.
  11. Re: Charles Bridge, Prague

The version I'm looking at today (May 20, 0 only has blurry people.

Shutter speed was quite low, I'm guessing ?

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?