Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Share/Bookmark
  1. Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

I am planning to purchase a Ninja 3 MKII for use with my D80 and Sigma 10mm - 20mm.

There is a Manfrotto 1/4" plate on my camera. Can I attach a quick release on the MKII?
    And will I need a panoramic head like the Manfrotto 300N or this feature included?

thanks in advance

2. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Quote Originally Posted by quickcut View Post
    I am planning to purchase a Ninja 3 MKII for use with my D80 and Sigma 10mm - 20mm.
    There is a Manfrotto 1/4" plate on my camera. Can I attach a quick release on the MKII?
    And will I need a panoramic head like the Manfrotto 300N or this feature included?
    thanks in advance
    NN3 MKII (and NN3 and NN5L) all use a 3/8 thread mount with removable 1/4 thread adapter in place. So they work with virtually any photo tripod.
    Many thanks
  3. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by quickcut View Post

thanks in advance

you can attach a THIN Manfrotto quick release clamp to NN3 by using the camera mounting plate. The thickness of clamp + plate must be smaller than 19 mm for D80. We will have thinner adapter to replace the camera mounting plate later. With this adapter, most adapter should work with your camera. We are releasing a low profile QR system later this year. It will work with Manfrotto plate or the Gitzo plate. It will also work for off-set tripod sockets.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

thanks Nick,

I would like to purchase but I need to know if this adaptor from Manfrotto will work?

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...id=107&idx=116

or is there another clamp + plate you can suggest.

thanks again,
    Roger
  5. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Users Country Flag

Try the Manfrotto 394.
    323 needs the coming thin adapter.

nick

Fanotec
  6. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

I'd like to retain my quick release capability too - I have a Manfrotto 488 RC2 ball head. Will that QR plate fit a NN3 mkII?

But on thinking about it, isn't it a bit lazy of me? After all, I have to remove the ballhead from the tripod, so I suppose it's not really much extra work to remove the QR plate from the camera too. Or am I missing something?

David

BTW, trying to enter my address correctly, but New Zealand is missing from the lists. Any reason?
  7. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Try the Manfrotto 394.
    323 needs the coming thin adapter.
    394 uses completely different plates than the 323, so it's not a solution for users like me with existing Manfrotto RC2 series equipment. Any idea when the thinner mounting plate will become available?
  8. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by markkuk View Post
    394 uses completely different plates than the 323, so it's not a solution for users like me with existing Manfrotto RC2 series equipment. Any idea when the thinner mounting plate will become available?
    July/ Aug

nick

Fanotec
  9. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiExpat View Post
    BTW, trying to enter my address correctly, but New Zealand is missing from the lists. Any reason?
    Hi David,
    All sales/inquires must go direct through our reseller down under.
    Please contact Jim direct: order[at]nodalninja[dot]com[dot]au.
    Thank you
    Bill
  10. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Well, this is getting complex...

Getting the NN3 II this week, order placed.
    Also getting the 322RC2 which comes with an unspecified QR plate.

Will the plate work?

Will the Manfrotto thin plate work as well / required?

I obviously want a single solution ... is there one?
  11. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
    Well, this is getting complex...

Getting the NN3 II this week, order placed.
    Also getting the 322RC2 which comes with an unspecified QR plate.

Will the plate work?

Will the Manfrotto thin plate work as well / required?

I obviously want a single solution ... is there one?
    THe plate from 322RC2 is compatible with the popular 323 QR. We will have a new thin adapter plate which will work for more cameras. It will be available next month. what camera do you use? Maybe the default camera mounting plate will work fine too. We will have QR clamp that works for your plate too. It will take a few months to be out.

Nick

Fanotec
  12. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    THe plate from 322RC2 is compatible with the popular 323 QR. We will have a new thin adapter plate which will work for more cameras. It will be available next month. what camera do you use? Maybe the default camera mounting plate will work fine too. We will have QR clamp that works for your plate too. It will take a few months to be out.

Nick
    I am using a D80. and have just ordered the NN3 II. I realize I will have to remove the battery pack before attaching the D80 to the NN3 II. I am trying to figure out how to attach the camera to the NN3 II using either a QR plate (regular or thin) or just direct. I like the idea of using a QR plate, but if not necessary or desirable ... OK.

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I realize I was assuming there was a Manfrotto QR receptacle on the NN3 II and I now realize there is not. I guess I will be attaching the camera directly.
  13. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
    I am using a D80. and have just ordered the NN3 II. I realize I will have to remove the battery pack before attaching the D80 to the NN3 II. I am trying to figure out how to attach the camera to the NN3 II using either a QR plate (regular or thin) or just direct. I like the idea of using a QR plate, but if not necessary or desirable ... OK.

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I realize I was assuming there was a Manfrotto QR receptacle on the NN3 II and I now realize there is not. I guess I will be attaching the camera directly.
    QR adapters (thick or thin) need to be considered on a camera by camera basis when using a NN3 ll. I do not know the data for the D80, but it will probably not be the only camera you will ever use on your NN. It is very much a case of suck it and see, as there are too many possible variations, of adapter camera and lens to take into account.

Terry
  14. Re: Question about quick release adaptor and MKII

Users Country Flag

D80 requires a thin adapter for Manfrotto 323 which is 22mm thick with the plate installed. Canon DSLRs have smaller height of lens axis from camera base and have no problem with the default camera mounting plate.

nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread