Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Share/Bookmark
  1. Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Hello everyone. This is my first post.
    I am working with Nodal Ninja 2 Head and I will soon upgrade my gear to NN5. Its light its fast and I love it!!
    I work on spherical panoramas and I use canon 400D and sigma 10-20mm lens. Job is getting better and better and I need to make "fast" panoramas!
    My lens settings are always 10mm but I need several pictures to cover the 360 spherical panorama and I am looking for a much "wider" lens so I need to take less shots. Searching I discover Tokina 10-17mm lens witch I must say impressed me.

You think is a good decision to buy the Tokina lens or its better to get an 8mm fisheye?

Thanks.
  2. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by giorgosmg View Post
    Hello everyone. This is my first post.
    I am working with Nodal Ninja 2 Head and I will soon upgrade my gear to NN5. Its light its fast and I love it!!
    I work on spherical panoramas and I use canon 400D and sigma 10-20mm lens. Job is getting better and better and I need to make "fast" panoramas!
    My lens settings are always 10mm but I need several pictures to cover the 360 spherical panorama and I am looking for a much "wider" lens so I need to take less shots. Searching I discover Tokina 10-17mm lens witch I must say impressed me.

You think is a good decision to buy the Tokina lens or its better to get an 8mm fisheye?

Thanks.
    Can't see why you think a 10-20 tokinina would be any wider.
    a 10 mm or8 mm fisheye certainly need far fewer shots.
  3. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Can't see why you think a 10-20 tokinina would be any wider.
    a 10 mm or8 mm fisheye certainly need far fewer shots.
    Hello Terrywoodenpic,
    Tokina is a fisheye lens
    Take a look link bellow

Code:
    http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tokina/atx107afdx-sample.html
    Regards.
  4. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by giorgosmg View Post
    Hello Terrywoodenpic,
    Tokina is a fisheye lens
    Take a look link bellow

Code:
    http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tokina/atx107afdx-sample.html
    Regards.
    My Bad :blushing: saw it was a zoom
    Though most seem to use fixed fisheyes such as the sigma 8 or 10 mm or the nikon 10.5mm
    I don't do 180x360 so I don't need them.
  5. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Hello, first post too.. I have been looking at getting a pano head and was referred here by another realestate photographer to look at a nodal ninja. I am using a sigma 10-20 same as you, but not having any luck if I want to stitch them unless I zoom in to 17mm +, which defeats the purpose of this lens. The reason I posted here is to ask if you are getting good stitching out of it? I have a home made "L" bracket that I am using, but just now seeing and realizing the concept of nodal points and parralax errors. I suspect this is my problem, and if you are using a pano head and its working for you (regardless of number of shots) then that just confirms it, and my need for something like a nodal ninja.

Thanks,
    Jason
  6. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jtj View Post
    Hello, first post too.. I have been looking at getting a pano head and was referred here by another realestate photographer to look at a nodal ninja. I am using a sigma 10-20 same as you, but not having any luck if I want to stitch them unless I zoom in to 17mm +, which defeats the purpose of this lens. The reason I posted here is to ask if you are getting good stitching out of it? I have a home made "L" bracket that I am using, but just now seeing and realizing the concept of nodal points and parralax errors. I suspect this is my problem, and if you are using a pano head and its working for you (regardless of number of shots) then that just confirms it, and my need for something like a nodal ninja.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Hi Jason,

what camera do you use? It seems that Sigma 10-20mm is no problem for NN3. Here are reported settings from our customers.
    http://nodalninja.com/nodal_ninja_3_..._settings.html

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  7. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

I am using a sony a100 or a200 (usually the a200) with the 10-20. I see the KM 7d and sony a700 are listed in the table you linked to, and work with the NN3. the 2 alphas I have are a bit smaller than those cameras but almost exactly the same size as nikon d40 so I am sure the nn3 will work with them.. I would have already pulled the trigger on a NN3 but Im secretly hoping I win a nodal ninja in the drawing... doesnt hurt to dream right!?!?
  8. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

I also would like to ask a few questions regarding the lens selection, being a relatively noob when it comes to this subject. I have a Sony A350 with a Sigma 28-300mm lens, most of my shots are taken at some distance which will be used for 2D textures placed on 3D models in various modeling programs. The need for pano's come into play with the background images which are placed around the 3D model. Most of the time I can use a 180 degree pano without too much difficulty. Unfortunately I am unable at this time to afford a expensive fisheye lens, so I really would like to understand the lens selections better if I can with your help. If I use the Sigma 28-300 lens that I have, I am able to get about 74 degrees at 28mm. So is it really as simple as I need to use more images to obtain the overlap that I need or is there more to this equation?

I have also seen this advertisement on Ebay and others which I am sure is nto the quality level of such a Sigma 8mm fisheye lens, but will it suffice for a period of time, or should I just use the Sigma lens that I have until I can afford a better lens such as the Sigma 8mm fisheye?

http://cgi.ebay.com/25x-Fisheye-Lens...QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry if this material has been covered before, I did a search but did not find too much as the Alpha series as of yet, hopefully we can change that in this forum.
  9. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by vkirchner View Post
    If I use the Sigma 28-300 lens that I have, I am able to get about 74 degrees at 28mm. So is it really as simple as I need to use more images to obtain the overlap that I need or is there more to this equation?
    Are you going to make spherical or cylindrical pano as the background? If that is the case, I am afraid the 28-300mm is not wide anough. At 28mm (42mm eq) and camera mounted in portrait orientation, the angle of view is 30.94 and 45.88 horizontally and vertically. I assume the CCD size is same as Nikon D70.
    http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm
    You need at least 15 images for cylindrical pano. You need 5 rows for spherical panos. Simply too many images.
    if you are tight on budget at the moment, you can buy a used 18-70mm kit lens. It is pretty cheap.

Optimized setting from VRwave.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.5x=27mm, HFOV: 67¬? | VFOV: 48¬? | DFOV: 77¬?

Min. shots (1.5x): N, 10 images every 36¬? at -45¬? pitch, 10 images every 36¬? at 0¬? pitch, 10 images every 36¬? at +45¬? pitch, Z
    N=Nadir; Z=Zenith

Foget about the 0.25x fisheye converter. It is just a waste of money. The used kit lens costs about the same as the converter.

BTW, I want to learn 3D modeling as well. What program do you use? I know there are 3dmax, Maya, Lightwave. which is easier to start with?

Nick

Fanotec
  10. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Nick,

Thank you for the answers to my questions, I do plan to use a 180 degree cylindrical pano most of the time. LOL, with three boys in college money is always an issue. So I will start the hunt for a good used lens to help me out with this task. The links you provided also provide a lot of useful information, they will be bookmarked for sure.

As for 3D programs, I use multiple cad programs such as Rhino3D, CatiaV5, ProE, and Icem for Class A styling surfaces. For Polygon modeling I use Softimage because it comes bundled with a high end renderer (Mental Ray) for a reasonable price $500. The 3DSMax, Lightwave, and Maya are too high priced for my taste as most are several thousand dollars. Depending on you final goals, there are some good programs out there for very little to no money at all. Blender and Sketchup can be downloaded for free, Sketchup is very easy to use while Blender is a very powerful program but lacks a friendly interface. Daz3D has multiple programs available, some are free downloads and others will cost a few dollars to a few hundred. They have sales often and when they do the prices are dirt cheap. I picked up a Polygon modeling program called Hexagon which normally costs $250, while the special priced had been reduced to $2. Yes, that is right $2. Take a look and let me know what you decide, I have many other programs here and have played with most of them over the years. Glad to help and have another 3D friend. :-)

http://www.blender.org/

http://www.google.com/sketchup/downloads/

http://www.daz3d.com

Regards
    Vince
  11. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

Users Country Flag

hi Vince,

Thank you for the answers to my questions, I do plan to use a 180 degree cylindrical pano most of the time.
    I am not sure if I understand your meaning of 180 degree cylindrical pano correctly. By cylindrical, people usually refer to 360 degree horizontally and LESS than 180 degree vertically. So do you mean half cylindrical pano, ie 180 degree horizontally? or do you actually mean (360 x 180 deg) spherical pano?

For Polygon modeling I use Softimage because it comes bundled with a high end renderer (Mental Ray) for a reasonable price $500. The 3DSMax, Lightwave, and Maya are too high priced for my taste as most are several thousand dollars. Depending on you final goals, there are some good programs out there for very little to no money at all. Blender and Sketchup can be downloaded for free, Sketchup is very easy to use while Blender is a very powerful program but lacks a friendly interface.

Oh, yeah I forgot the Softimage XSI. It seems a good one. I am not aware of the actual price of the programs. I have not yet started to learn any of them.
    The Sketchup is very good starting point. Thanks for the info. Does it support insertion of background like what you plan to do?

Daz3D has multiple programs available, some are free downloads and others will cost a few dollars to a few hundred. They have sales often and when they do the prices are dirt cheap. I picked up a Polygon modeling program called Hexagon which normally costs $250, while the special priced had been reduced to $2. Yes, that is right $2.
    hmm, it seems a perfect recipe to make old customers angry.

nick

Fanotec
  12. Re: Sigma 10-20mm, Tokina 10-17mm or a fisheye lens?

You are correct, I do not understand your lingo so I am just tooting out of my butt hole. What I meant by a 180 degree pano was this attachment.

Yes, you can apply textures as part of the materials, so you do have control over the look of the surface or solid. You will not obtain photorealistic results from the renderer with the one provided with the google download, but you can upgrade that with a free one called Kerkythea. Then you got some real power for no money down.

http://www.alexschreyer.net/cad/rend...ith-kerkythea/

Actually the Daz3D group has always run some strange specials like that, so we just take it for granted that in a few weeks there will be a new special available. But they also provide a lot of free software such as the Daz Studio product, so a large group of people like myself freely support there platinum club so they have funding for the free downloads.

+ Reply to Thread