Crossing the road

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crossing the road

Share/Bookmark
  1. Crossing the road

Users Country Flag

I am starting a new project for the local museum..I shall be photographing each shop and business in the high street Uppermill.
    I shall do it old style with each owner and staff outside their shops.

Yesterday whilst waiting as people gathered for the Whit walks and bands to march past, I thought I would see how it would look in a pan..
    So I did a very rapid hand held pan. and caught one woman three times pushing her pram rushing to cross the road.

Like many such hand held pans It was not as level as it might be, so I have lost some off the top and bottom to a crop.
    However it illustrates to non believers how such things as a slightly wandering bubble, are of no consequence to modern software
    This was done with PTAssembler.

http://xs227.xs.to/xs227/08206/crossing-the-road764.jpg
  2. Re: Crossing the road

for hand held I'd say that's pretty good - and good job with the stitching with all those people.
  3. Re: Crossing the road

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    for hand held I'd say that's pretty good - and good job with the stitching with all those people.
    Hand held shots give lots of limitations.
    1) Problems with foreground parallax
    2) problems with controlling the horizontal of the pan
    3)difficult to do in portrait orientation.
    4) Need to crop uneven tops and bottoms

In this one the slope-rise in the road fooled me so I had to crop more than I would have liked.
    PTAssembler saved as photoshop layers with masks, so I could adjust the masks around the people.
    It all would have been much easier on my NN3ll.
  4. Re: Crossing the road

It might be worth adding, from personal experience, that when doing hand held panos to try take several series so you have more to work with. So if set one doesn't work you have set two or set 3.
  5. Re: Crossing the road

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    It might be worth adding, from personal experience, that when doing hand held panos to try take several series so you have more to work with. So if set one doesn't work you have set two or set 3.
    I think that is a good guide with most pans, even on my NN3ll I usually take a pair of pans... the odd shot spoilt by wind vibration or scurrying clouds,means a back up can often save the day on an otherwise lost Pan.

As far as crowd pans are concerned, it is best to take the pan into the movement of the people to limit breeding extra twins. I was moving with the woman with the pram and managed to catch her three times.
+ Reply to Thread