NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

I just received my Nodal Ninja 3 MkII this morning. At lunch I went out to set it up. I used it on a Canon 40D with the 17-55 mm IS USM lens. I tested for parallax using a sign post approx 3 ft from the tripod and the edge of a building approx 1/3 of a mile away. With the lens set at 17mm there was no parallax with the upper rail assembly set as far back as it would go. At 20mm there was some barely perceptible parallax at that setting.
    So this combination of body and lens just fits the Nodal Ninja 3. I would recommend anybody using this combination to buy the Nodal Ninja 5. I wish I had done so. I am contemplating upgrading. Since this is the longest lens I anticipate using I may not go to the trouble.
  2. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Marc4UCB View Post
    I just received my Nodal Ninja 3 MkII this morning. At lunch I went out to set it up. I used it on a Canon 40D with the 17-55 mm IS USM lens. I tested for parallax using a sign post approx 3 ft from the tripod and the edge of a building approx 1/3 of a mile away. With the lens set at 17mm there was no parallax with the upper rail assembly set as far back as it would go. At 20mm there was some barely perceptible parallax at that setting.
    So this combination of body and lens just fits the Nodal Ninja 3. I would recommend anybody using this combination to buy the Nodal Ninja 5. I wish I had done so. I am contemplating upgrading. Since this is the longest lens I anticipate using I may not go to the trouble.
    Hi Marc,
    While the 17-55 at the 55mm focal length may be stretch I would think it should still work fine all the way out to that focal length (aside from the fact this lens can't do full rotation up on NN3 MKII).
    Any "perceptible" parallax may be due to incorrect settings at that focal length, but the stitching software should still be able to help you on this.
    Your still under the 30 days on your purchase - if you would like to send it back and trade-up to the NN5L I will give you full credit including all shipping fees paid.
    If this is of interest touch bases with me: bll[at]nodalninja[dot]com.
    We want you to be 100% satisfied
    Thanks
    Bill
  3. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Marc4UCB View Post
    You are correct.... see my posts in this thread http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.ph....msg171#msg171
    This set up solved the problem for me But it did entail having a special adapter made.

You will be able to use the lens with out adapter at 20 mm as the nodal setting is about 3mm less. At that setting you need to use a 12 hole detent ( 0r 24 hole detent alternate holes.

An easier solution would be to go for a NN5 which has no such restrictions.
  4. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Hey Bill,

I've seen your prompt attention to questions on this forum and I appreciate it. I just ordered a NN3 II bundle and I am planning to use it with a 40D and 17-55 2.8 IS. Can you please explain a little further what you mean by the following:

While the 17-55 at the 55mm focal length may be stretch I would think it should still work fine all the way out to that focal length
    Is this concern around the length of the lens barrel? What is the maximum length the NN3 will accept?

(aside from the fact this lens can't do full rotation up on NN3 MKII).
    Please explain, which shots will not be available at which focal length?

Cheers,
    Mo
  5. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Hey Mo,
    The longer the focal length on a zoom lens the further forward the no parallax point (NPP) moves inside the lens. This means you would have to move the camera further back on the upper rail to compensate. I know the 17-40mm just barely works at the full out position (different lens I know) so I would be inclided to think this focal length would be a stretch.
    Since we haven't heard back from a user of this lens I could be wrong. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    If anyone else has this lens we would love to hear from you.
    Thanks
    Bill
  6. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Thanks Bill, I guess I'll find out in a few days once my NN3 is here
  7. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Hey Mo,
    The longer the focal length on a zoom lens the further forward the no parallax point (NPP) moves inside the lens. This means you would have to move the camera further back on the upper rail to compensate. I know the 17-40mm just barely works at the full out position (different lens I know) so I would be inclided to think this focal length would be a stretch.
    Since we haven't heard back from a user of this lens I could be wrong. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    If anyone else has this lens we would love to hear from you.
    Thanks
    Bill
    I use the 17-55 0n 40D However as I use a manfrotto quick release as well, I do not have the figures for it mounted straight on the arm.
    I had to make a special thin adapter that allows it to move out a further 3mm For my mounting for the 17mm position.
    There was no problem at 20mm. as the focal length increases this lens move back along the arm, so there is no problem for the longer focal lengths either.

As you suggest this lens seems to be at the extreme of the range of the NN3ll.

See my replies on this Thread for details of my adapter. http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.ph....msg171#msg171

This is a recent progress shot, which demonstrates the stitching of difficult paving patterns. As it managed this with out any problem it is some indication that the arm setting was correct.

Terry
  8. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Hi all, first post for me, I hope it's not out of place. I've just placed an order for my NN3 MKII and I'm very much looking forward to this new piece of hardware. I've been stitching panos for a number of years, but have mostly been doing landscapes (not 360x180 degree) and have found out the hard way that parallax errors are painful to fix in post processing.

My reason for posting here is that I also have a 40D with the Canon 17-55 F2.8, (and in addition the Canon 10-22). It seems the Canon Camera Settings page does not have any suggested settings for the 17-55 and I'm a little worried that means it's not supported by the NN3? From reading this thread and others it sounds like the NN3 can just about cope with this lens, but may need an extra plate like Terry's setup to work across the full zoom range with no Parallax errors.

I wanted to send this reply to the post to ask if there were any other 40D + 17-55 + NN3 owners out there, and to ask their feedback on this combination; and any settings people may have found out. I believe the latest NN3 MKII includes the N-CP1 to help lift the camera off the arm; also I ordered the T20T for extra extension/spacing if required. I know the best solution would be to have an NN5, but for me the NN3 looks to be a sweet spot for the 40D size camera, plus it's smaller and lighter which really helps if I'm taking all this gear on an extended hike!

I expect I would use the 10-22 if I try any 360x180 panos, and use the 17-55 for more zoomed in landscape pano shots so maybe it's less of an issue for me.

Any feedback from other owners appreciated!

Thanks,

Neil.

PS - thanks to Terri for the detailed images and posts above, I have a Manfrotto ball head on SLIK 614CF legs and the addition of the 323 plate looks like something I would like to repeat.
  9. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Quote Originally Posted by neilp View Post
    Hi all, first post for me, I hope it's not out of place. I've just placed an order for my NN3 MKII and I'm very much looking forward to this new piece of hardware. I've been stitching panos for a number of years, but have mostly been doing landscapes (not 360x180 degree) and have found out the hard way that parallax errors are painful to fix in post processing.

My reason for posting here is that I also have a 40D with the Canon 17-55 F2.8, (and in addition the Canon 10-22). It seems the Canon Camera Settings page does not have any suggested settings for the 17-55 and I'm a little worried that means it's not supported by the NN3? From reading this thread and others it sounds like the NN3 can just about cope with this lens, but may need an extra plate like Terry's setup to work across the full zoom range with no Parallax errors.

I wanted to send this reply to the post to ask if there were any other 40D + 17-55 + NN3 owners out there, and to ask their feedback on this combination; and any settings people may have found out. I believe the latest NN3 MKII includes the N-CP1 to help lift the camera off the arm; also I ordered the T20T for extra extension/spacing if required. I know the best solution would be to have an NN5, but for me the NN3 looks to be a sweet spot for the 40D size camera, plus it's smaller and lighter which really helps if I'm taking all this gear on an extended hike!
    I expect I would use the 10-22 if I try any 360x180 panos, and use the 17-55 for more zoomed in landscape pano shots so maybe it's less of an issue for me.
    Any feedback from other owners appreciated! Thanks, Neil.

PS - thanks to Terri for the detailed images and posts above, I have a Manfrotto ball head on SLIK 614CF legs and the addition of the 323 plate looks like something I would like to repeat.
    Hi Neil - welcome to the forum - you're certainly NOT out of place but rather IN the right place
    Unfortunately we don't have the settings for this lens as you noted but it doesn't mean you can't use the NN3 MKII because you can with minor limitations.
    If doing full 360x180 spherical panos, both these lenses will only allow for partial tilt up (about 45 degrees). To shoot the zenith (up shot) with this lens you will either need to move the camera/lens forward on the upper rail to allow for full rotation (any resulting parallax is generally negligible) or simply shoot manually (as most do). You could also shoot two rows - one row to catch the zenith (top) and one row to catch the nadir (floor). For many this is not a big deal but thought I would share this. You may also need the T-20 t-adapter for the 17-55 lens if shooting beyond about the 40mm focal length. The t-20 will give you enough added length on the upper rail to reach the no parallax point of the lens at the longer focal lengths.
    The NN5L (currently on sale) does not have these limitations or need for t-20 but due to your needs for lightweight compactness the NN3 MKII is your best choice for sure.
    If you're interested in trying it out the NN3 MKII mention this thread when placing your order and I'll add a t-20 at no cost for you. - oh - you said you already ordered and I see it so went ahead and added it in for you.
    Hope this helps - keep us posted.
    Bill
  10. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Thanks for the quick response Bill, and thanks for the tips on the 2 row. Looks like I've got plenty of experimenting ahead of me, and if I work out some setting with the standard equipment I'll try and post them here.

I'm hoping I can get up to speed with the hardware pretty quickly as I fly out to South America at the end of the week. I'm planning on some great landscape panos around Patagonia (esp. Torres del Paine) and maybe I'll try out some 360x180 in the cities like Buenos Aires and Santiago. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks, Neil.

11. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Please do keep us posted and hope you might share some panos on your return.
    safe travels.
    Bill
  12. Re: NN3 w/ Canon 40D and Canon 17-55 mm EFS IS USM Lens

Hi all,

I'm back from the South American trip with lots of photos that need editing. Before that I want to share with you all the settings I've worked out for the Canon 17-55 F2.8 and Canon 10-22 mm lenses. Good news on the 17-55 is that even though it's a long lens, and it extends as you zoom to the 55mm end, the internal lens elements, and entrance pupil actually move back inside the lens. This means that the full zoom range of the 17-55 can be used with the T20. One exception is that not all angles can be achieved in these settings, i.e. you will need to move the camera on the upper rail to get very steep +ve angles or the zenith shot (though no impact on the Nadir).

Here are my settings for the Canon 40D + Canon 17-55 mm F2.8 attached to a Nodal Ninja 3 MKII with T-20 plate instead of CP1. I've been using the longer focal lengths for detailed 1 or 2 row panos rather than full 360s. For 360x180 the 10-22 at 10mm is quicker (less photos).

Focal length - Upper ARM setting (mm)
    17mm - 86
    28mm - 68
    55mm - 44

I intend to work out all the other marked mm on the 17-55 and post them here later. I've worked out a quick way to measure the ideal point by making use of the live view on the 40D (I'll try and explain it in another thread if anyone is interested). I found 6 focal lengths on 2 lenses in less than an hour with this method.

Here are my settings for the Canon 40D + Canon 10-22 mm attached to a Nodal Ninja 3 MKII with T-20 plate instead of CP1.

Focal length - Upper ARM setting (mm)
    10mm - 78
    17mm - 75
    22mm - 76

I've certainly found it quite a steep learning curve as I only manged to do one pano at home before going on vacation. I wish I had brought it earlier and practised more before the trip as I know I've made a number of beginners mistakes on some of the first panos, e.g. forgetting one of the key setup items like setting the rail, forgetting to level, picking the wrong focus distance, leaving shadows or my feet in some of the pictures etc etc but it's a good challenge! I'm sure though some of the panos will come out well, and I'll post some links on a new thread once I have something worth sharing!

Hope the measurements above help other people looking to buy this equipment.

One last note, I have to say I'm really impressed by the build quality of the NN3, really nice metal work and great detent ring movement. It's a nice compact unit for the kind of travels I was doing. Keep up the good work!

Neil.

+ Reply to Thread