Use of QRP

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Use of QRP

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Use of QRP

Hamish

Just purchased the QRP and a camera plate from NN, but am I thick, or what? How the heck does this go together? I can see how the QRP attaches to the upper rail, and then how the CP fits the QRP, but then how does that, in turn, attach to the bottom of the camera? I have two female 3/8" threads that meet together. Also - why does the CP have to 'lock' into the QRP when the mount, with the screw and the alignment pin are bomber secure to start with?

I must be doing something wrong - or there is yet another piece I have to buy between the camera and the CP.

Camera is Nikon D300

Thanks,

Hamish
  2. Re: Use of QRP

Hi Hamish,
    Here is are some photos of how the ASQRC1 attaches with the CP.
    http://nodalninja.com/arca_style_qui...ase_clamp.html
    Once attached this is secured to the upper rail using the camera mounting knob. The Arca style "clamp" is to be used with an Arca style plate or L bracket that attaches to the base of the camera.
    Let me know how this works for you.
    Thanks
    Bill
  3. Re: Use of QRP

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I must be doing something wrong - or there is yet another piece I have to buy between the camera and the CP.
    Camera is Nikon D300
    Hamish,

Mount the NN Arca style Quick Release Clamp to the CP, then mount the CP to either rail. Then your D300 mounts to the QRC.

To mount your D300 to the QRC, you need an Arca style camera plate mounted to your D300. Either a regular camera plate or an L-plate. L-plates allow easily changing between portrait and landscape.

Check out Really Right Stuff, they make great products.
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/index.html

David
  4. Re: Use of QRP

Users Country Flag

Hi Hamish,

sorry for the confusion. The QRP is still under production. What you see is the QRC (quick release clamp). Some people have Arca Swiss style QRP/ L-bracket already. So the QRC is made for them.
    The overall thickness of QRC+QRP+ CP is big. So it may not work for NN3 for some cameras. We are working on other type of mass produced QR system which are more economical and thinner. The system will work with many of existing Manfrotto plates and Gitzo/ Giottos plates. Of course, we also make our own plate. If you don't have Arca Swiss style QRP/ L-bracket, you may want to wait for some more time.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: Use of QRP

Hamish

Thanks Bill,

I did look up that reference on your site but didn't realize I had yet still to purchase another part to install on the base of the camera - and they are quite expensive for what they are (about $60 including shipping, making my total investment in QR about $120! And as Nick has pointed out elsewhere, this is bulky once all the pieces are put together - and heavy for the likes of me mountaineering with all this gear on my back. I think it would be helpful if your site showed a couple more images of the camera base with that part of the equation.

Also - is there an instruction anywhere on the forums to explain how one submits panos to the site?

Thanks,

Hamish.
  6. Re: Use of QRP

Hamish

Thanks to everyone who responded to this - I do feel a bit stupid 'cos it is obvious that a plate is needed on the base of the camera to take the QRP. However, it is all very spendy, heavy and, as Nick pointed out, quite thick needing adjustments to the settings of the NN3 to an almost unacceptable degree.

I think I'll just put up with screwing the camera on and off every time. Anybody got a plate for sale?

As for the L-Bracket - I've been using the NN3 quite successfully for tripod-mounted portrait and landscape photos without having to buy a special bracket. I don't have the convenience of a ball head, of course - I just lower tripod legs as needed.

I'm just learning pole-mounted panoramics and don't do much in the way of 'general' photographics - just working my way into panoramas and mast-based (50&#039:wink: panoramas for anything from weddings to tourist-based, architectural, and engineering applications - and unfortunately, real estate sales. The expense is quite staggering right now so I have to back-off on the unnecessary.

Sorry to go on - but one more question - the mast system has a motorized pan/tilt head but rotates the camera at the base of the camera body - not the nodal point of the lens. Any suggestions as to how I would achieve this?

Thanks,

Hamish.
  7. Re: Use of QRP

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Thanks Bill,
    I did look up that reference on your site but didn't realize I had yet still to purchase another part to install on the base of the camera - and they are quite expensive for what they are (about $60 including shipping, making my total investment in QR about $120! And as Nick has pointed out elsewhere, this is bulky once all the pieces are put together - and heavy for the likes of me mountaineering with all this gear on my back. I think it would be helpful if your site showed a couple more images of the camera base with that part of the equation.
    Also - is there an instruction anywhere on the forums to explain how one submits panos to the site?
    Thanks, Hamish.
    Hi Hammish,
    Why not return the clamp for a refund? I'll also refund the full amount you paid + an extra $10 to cover shipping the unit back.
    These clamps are better suited for those using NN5L's.
    Once Nick releases the other components you can better make a determination at that time if the product will fill your needs.

On submitting a pano if you have a link to the actual pano simple apply the link with
    This should work for you.
    Thanks
    Bill
  8. Re: Use of QRP

Hamish

Well Thanks Bill, You're such a good guy. Hear that everybody - Bill's SUCH A GOOD GUY!

Still working on perfecting the panoramas and look forward to submitting when I can. Hope to get one from the summit of Grand Teton this summer.

Hamish.
+ Reply to Thread