NN5L newbie config issues

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NN5L newbie config issues

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. NN5L newbie config issues

If I use a battery grip with a 40D it seems that it would be necessary to use a T-Shaped Adapter, a camera specific plate and a quick-release clamp. Has anyone used this or a similar configuration? I'm concerned that there might be a small degree of slop.

Is there a way to level the NN5L without changing the length of any of the tripod legs--I can't tell from the images of the NN5L? If not, should I also buy the EZ-Leveler, although it seems the max weight the leveler supports is less than the weight the NN5L head can support?

Appreciate any comments before ordering. Thank you.
  2. Re: NN5L newbie config issues

No other accessory is needed for your camera with the battery grip, although the quick release clamp with a specific camera plate are surely useful to easily set up the equipment for the shooting work. No slop, I can assure you!

Even though the weight EZ-Leveler officially hold is less than the declared limit for NN5L, it will support your 40D with all the lenses on the market quite easily. NN5L can't be leveled by itself.

Mauro Contrafatto
    Customer Service Manager
    cs@nodalninja.com
  3. Re: NN5L newbie config issues

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cwest View Post
    If I use a battery grip with a 40D it seems that it would be necessary to use a T-Shaped Adapter, a camera specific plate and a quick-release clamp. Has anyone used this or a similar configuration? I'm concerned that there might be a small degree of slop.

Is there a way to level the NN5L without changing the length of any of the tripod legs--I can't tell from the images of the NN5L? If not, should I also buy the EZ-Leveler, although it seems the max weight the leveler supports is less than the weight the NN5L head can support?

Appreciate any comments before ordering. Thank you.
    some canon battery grip has off-set tripod socket. If that is the case for 40D, you need T-adapter. Alternatively we are making Arca Swiss style quick release plate which will support this off-set. We have QR clamp that is compatible with other Arca style plates or L-brackets.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  4. Re: NN5L newbie config issues

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mauro Contrafatto View Post
    No other accessory is needed for your camera with the battery grip, although the quick release clamp with a specific camera plate are surely useful to easily set up the equipment for the shooting work. No slop, I can assure you!

Even though the weight EZ-Leveler officially hold is less than the declared limit for NN5L, it will support your 40D with all the lenses on the market quite easily. NN5L can't be leveled by itself.
    Whilst the EZ-leveller certainly makes things easier...all the NN's can be levelled simply and accurately by only adjusting the legs.
    however some people never get the hang of how to do it.
  5. Re: NN5L newbie config issues

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    Whilst the EZ-leveler certainly makes things easier...all the NN's can be levelled simply and accurately by only adjusting the legs.
    Sure! Every tripod can be easily leveled by adjusting the length of each leg. I meant the leveling is not possible by setting up the NN5L only.

About the battery grip, I discovered there are 3 different models which fit EOS 40D. The one I tested (I can't remember the product code, sorry) had the tripod mount aligned with the axis of the lens barrel, but of course it may be different with other grips.

Mauro Contrafatto
    Customer Service Manager
    cs@nodalninja.com
  6. Re: NN5L newbie config issues

Thanks for the input. The tripod socket for the Canon battery grip for the 40D (BG-E2N) is offset, so I'd prefer to use a QR clamp than the T-Plate. I've found that fine-tuning leveling by changing the lengths of the tripod legs to be frustrating at times. So I'll also buy the EZ-Leveler.
  7. Re: NN5L newbie config issues

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Ninja
    Terry,

Some people simply don't have the "back" that will allow them do it.

Aussie Ninja
    I have a dodgy back too... a slight bend of the knees is all it takes to adjust the top section of the legs.
    at 73 I am waiting to age a bit, before I do it any other way.
  8. Re: NN5L newbie config issues

@cwest
    WHY o why would you like to use a batterygrip ?
    The batterygrip will give you a lot more extra flex and hey, don't blame NN.
    The camera has a metal bottom, the grip is 95% plastic.
    I have no idea why people want to use those grips on a panohead.
    One battery is perfect to do a lot of shots and the total load is more centered..
  9. Re: NN5L newbie config issues

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    Whilst the EZ-leveller certainly makes things easier...all the NN's can be levelled simply and accurately by only adjusting the legs.
    Agreed. For leveling my NN5L, I find this method quick and easy with lever locks on the legs. Adjusting the legs for leveling is more tedious for tripods with a center brace between the legs and center column.

David
  10. Re: NN5L newbie config issues

Intuitively, I suspected that a battery grip would introduce some flex or slop. The only reason to consider using it, is because its always on the camera. Unscrewing it is easy, but its necessary to re-attached the battery door to the camera which is a click-in function that I also suspect will break one day with lots of re-attachments. I guess when that happens it might be time to buy a body that accommodates more battery power.

From my experience with an RSS ball head, leveling the tripod at one position, say 90 degrees, doesn't imply that it will be the same level at 0 degrees or 180 degrees. I don’t think that changing a tripod leg or two is the easiest or best approach to obtaining a constant level head over a 360 degree span. Perhaps this doesn't matter as any software used to assemble the shots will overcome any small leveling error.
  11. Re: NN5L newbie config issues

I have a Gitzo leveling base on my tripod. I use it under a wimberly head, a Markins M10 and now a NN3.
    Other than losing a center post it works great and is much easier than adjusting the legs of the tripod.
+ Reply to Thread