Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pole panorama

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Pole panorama

Hello Forum,

I hope this pano can inspire you to do more with your NN panohead.

http://www.dmmdh.nl/panos/beach_oudd...h_ouddorp.html

About the gear:
    I dismantled the rotator of my NN5 panohead and placed a QuickMount (upside down mounted Giottos 200) on top of the rotator and the other part of the QuickMount under the panohead's underrail.
    I also mounted a QuickMount (also upside down) on top of a motorized Seitz VR Drive.

By separating the NN5 panohead from the NN5 rotator I can use the upperpart of the panohead on different types of rotators.
    When I shoot on a fixed high pole (Manfrotto 269HDBU @ 7.3 m) I put the panohead (without the rotator) on the Seitz VR drive and when I shoot on a tripod, and when I prefer to travel as light as possible, then I use the NN5 rotator instead of the Seitz VR Drive. To take the shots I use a wireless remote controller whenever I can.

I like the versatile use of the NN5 a lot, for a high pole I shoot 5 images around with the panohead mounted on the Seitz VR Drive and a Canon 5D+shaved Tokina 10-17mm @14.6mm wit a downtilt -15 degree to get a nice leap in nadir.

I skip the topshot as in this kind of panos nobody is interested in the "roof" of the pano. For a high pole the camera and lens is shifted 25mm forwards out of nodal point so the front of the lens is in line with the outside of the pole.

The result of the 25 mm shift is that the footprint of the pole is very small and the nadir of the pano can be very easy retouched without using a separate nadir image.
    The rail stopper on the swingarm of the panohead is very handy, within seconds I can shift the camera forwards for a pole shoot and when I have finished the pole shots then the camera is shifted back in the proper NP position just as fast.

So I use the parts of the NN5 where and when they suit me best, besides the NN5 panohead I also use a fixed bracket without a swingarm and a simple Feisol rotator without clickstops and those items can be mounted on the separated NN5 parts as well.

Hope you enjoy the pole pano,

Best,

Wim.

EDIT:
    Added brand and model of high pole
  2. Re: Pole panorama

Wim,

Very interesting setup and a great image! The elevated perspective is nice. Thank you for the detailed description. At 7.3m, how much weight and wind can the pole withstand? A 5D + lens + head + motor + plates... is not so light.

Were you able to buy just the VR motor without the head?

David
  3. Re: Pole panorama

Hello David,

I have no idea what the maximum windspeed can be, I guess it stops at windspeed Beafort 3.

I always point one leg to the wind direction and attach a large counterweight of 4.5 kg at the end of that leg.
    Besides that I always use 3 thin strong iron wires with tensioners. Each wire is attached at the top of the pole and to the end of a leg, the wires really helps a lot in stabilizing the camera.
    When there is some wind the top of the pole can swing easily 20-30 cm without wires but with the movement is just a few cm and barely visible.
    The extra tension of the wires and the weight of the gear is not a problem, the pole is designed for 10 kg and I guess it will not collapse before at least 30 kg of weight.

For several reasons (not in the least the price and size of the Seitz panohead) I bought just the VR Drive and with the electrical wire schema supplied by Seitz and the Dutch vendor I made the connection cables for the wireless remote controller, the camera cable, the remote timer and a cable adapter for generic switches myself.
    Making the cables saved me a lot of money and was necessary to make it possible to use my wireless controller.

For transporting the pole, counterweight, wires etc, etc. in the field I use a golf sport trolley, idea © Bigwade ;-)

I hope this extra info is of some use.
    Best,
    Wim.
  4. Re: Pole panorama

Nice Pano Wim !
    Can't see any evidence of you running around the pole with the trolley in de Nadir , not a sign..:-)

The versatile use of the NN5 and NN3 is indeed great as you say.
    The hidden treasure is the 3/8 femaile in the underrail.
    The NN3/5 can be mount on any rotator and that's a big plus !
    For traveling I like the Feisol PB-70, cheap and very good.
    For automatic I use the Seitz.
    I am looking forward to see the new NN rotators.

@David,
    you can order a Seitz without head.
    I am using it with the NN3 with 5D or 450D, perfect !
    Cables, guess what ? ±© Wim.K..........haha !
    Have Fun !
  5. Re: Pole panorama

Hey Wim,
    Pole pano's allows one to take their 360's to all new heights :-)
    Curious if you might share a photo of your rig?
    Many thanks
    Bill
  6. Re: Pole panorama

Hello Bill,

Sorry but at this moment I have few pictures of the pole setup, for the moment this one is all I can publish.

http://www.dmmdh.nl/zoomify/pole_setup/pole_setup.html

The setup on the image is without support wires but since recently I always use them because without them the flex is to much to get shots with good nadir details in the stitched pano.
    I will take and publish some more pics later.

Best,

Wim.
  7. Re: Pole panorama

wow - that's a stretch of height.
    I know your heart must pump a bit harder with all that expensive gear so far up in the air.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Bill
  8. Re: Pole panorama

Users Country Flag

again wow...does it come with a parachute....
  9. Re: Pole panorama

Nah, don't worry.
    Do you use a carpet below a normal tripod :-) ??
    The Manfrotto is about 10 kilo's
    http://www.thomann.de/de/manfrotto_2...stand_blck.htm
    And with the cable/wire-set Wim mentioned it's just as safe as a normal tripod and much, much safer than all those fiber poles, fact !
    I have the same set, Wim invented the cables (thanks Wim! :-) and all works fine.
    Have Fun !
  10. Re: Pole panorama

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bigwade View Post
    And with the cable/wire-set Wim mentioned it's just as safe as a normal tripod and much, much safer than all those fiber poles, fact !
    I have the same set, Wim invented the cables (thanks Wim! :-) and all works fine.
    Have Fun !
    Hi Frank and Wim,

Where do you attach the wire at the base? on the ground or just on the legs at the base?

Nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  11. Re: Pole panorama

Hello Nick,

This picture answers your question about the wires:

http://www.dmmdh.nl/zoomify/pole_set...e_setup_2.html

Because the legs are missing any wire attachment possibilities I had to drill the wholes for the screws at the end of the legs myself to make easy mounting of the support wires possible.

At the time this shot was taken there was a lot of wind and therefore I added an extra weight in the center of the setup.
    Although the camera was in a steady position the pole itself was vibrating a lot and was swinging approx. 5 cm in the middle and therefore I recently added an extra mounting ring that slides over the 30mm tube between segment 2 and 3 (from the top). The extra mounting ring makes it possible to attach an extra set of support wires.
    The truth is that since I added the extra mounting ring I didn't used it and neither did I used the extra center weight.
    Its better not to shoot when it is very windy because raising the pole is then to difficult so I guess I will rarely use the extra support wires.
    The counter weight at the leg and the extra weight in the center makes the pole very stable.

BTW, as you can see I had to put a stone and a piece of wood under one leg, the pole has only one leg that can be leveled.
    I did not have the choice to turn the pole in such a position that leveling with one leg was enough because then none of the legs was pointing towards the wind direction.
    Shooting with a high pole can be very stressfull, there are so many things to take care of and therefore most times Margriet (my wife and business partner) is assisting me on such shoots (she also took this setup shot).

Best,

Wim.

EDIT
    Added some extra info about the leveling of the pole
  12. Re: Pole panorama

Quote Originally Posted by Wim.Koornneef View Post
    About the gear:
    I dismantled the rotator of my NN5 panohead and placed a QuickMount (upside down mounted Giottos 200) on top of the rotator and the other part of the QuickMount under the panohead's underrail. I also mounted a QuickMount (also upside down) on top of a motorized Seitz VR Drive.
    Indeed a pole adds a totally new perspective to panorama photography! And you can experiment with it with less expensive gear. I extented my old Velbon tripod column with a 3 meters long central heating pipe which happened to be the same diameter (22mm) and put my NN3 with D70s and Nikkor 10.5mm on top, operated with a remote control cable. Needless to say I use manual focus and manual exposure. Then, I rotate the pole by hand. It's not very precise but I get away with it by taking a couple of extra shots. For the nadir, I take two shots standing on either side of the pole. Then, I stitch the pictures with Autopano Pro using Smartblend, which automagically blends me out of the picture. After that, the NN3 still needs to be edited out, of course.

Total cost of my setup apart from the stuff I already owned to make normal panoramas: about 20 euros (30 dollars?)

For some examples, see: http://www.molenvrienden.nl/panoramas/10.html
    or: http://www.molenvrienden.nl/panoramas/15.html
    or: http://www.molenvrienden.nl/panoramas/16.html

(There are 17 more panoramas of wind- and watermills in the region where I live on www.molenvrienden.nl but I haven't finished the rest of that website yet)

13. Re: Pole panorama

Hallo pgielen,

Wat een plezier heb je mij gedaan met deze posting, als een echte molengek heb ik genoten van je panos en de molen database, werkelijk schitterend !

I continue in English.

As I wrote above my compliments for the nice panos and database of Dutch mills.
    Indeed it is possible to shoot pole panos with less expensive equipment.
    I started shooting on a high pole 1,5 year ago with a much less expensive fiber pole of Walther Spieth, skipped the 5 top elements of it and only used 5.2 meter.
    I mounted the pole on a sturdy tripod and I rotated the pole by hand.
    The use of a high fiber pole however is limited to situations with less wind because it is hard to stitch an image when the camera is swinging 30 or more cm.
    Because the swinging is weakening the connections of the pole it happened that the pole collapsed, luckily without any damage to the equipment on top of it.
    A tip for anybody who are using such a fiber pole, later I drilled 3mm little wholes in the fiber tubes and secured the connections with small removable plastic plugs that I pushed in the wholes when it was erected.

In the region where I live there is very often a lot of wind so using a pole that can be supported by wires is almost a must but such a pole is hard to rotate by hand unless you design a smart supporting system that rotates at the top.
    So that's why I think the Seitz VR Drive is a good choice for a supported high pole.

Best,
    Wim.

14. Re: Pole panorama

Quote Originally Posted by Wim.Koornneef View Post
    So that's why I think the Seitz VR Drive is a good choice for a supported high pole.
    It is, definitely. But since it sells for about 1300 euros and I am not making money with panoramic photography, I wonder if there is a more affordable alternative. There must be a market for it (hint!).
  15. Re: Pole panorama

Here are my first attempts at pole photography..

http://kmembrydesign.com/masttest.html

15m mast attached to my truck. No guy wires (yet) I need to find some fast!

Shot #3 is full extension (49 feet), it was leaning over a few feet to one side, probably because I didn't pump up enough air in the shaft.

Kirk

--
    Kirk
    Moss Creek Media
    www.MossCreekMedia.com
+ Reply to Thread