30D with 24-105

Thread: 30D with 24-105

Share/Bookmark
  1. 30D with 24-105

IanP

I am in the process of deciding which product is suitable for a 30D coupled to a 24-105 lens. Does anyone use this combination with a NN3 and if so is there any problems with weight?

Ian
  2. Re: 30D with 24-105

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    I am in the process of deciding which product is suitable for a 30D coupled to a 24-105 lens. Does anyone use this combination with a NN3 and if so is there any problems with weight?
    Ian
    Hi Ian,
    Weight is not a problem. I personally have not used this lens nor have we heard from customers not being able to use it (which is good news). It does appear the 24-105mm lens will work for single row or multi-row panos. However if doing full 360x180 spherical panos, this lens "may" only allow for partial tilt up. To shoot the zenith (up shot) with this lens you will either need to move the camera/lens forward on the upper rail to allow for full rotation or simply shoot manually (as most do). You could also shoot two rows - one row to catch the zenith (top) and one row to catch the nadir (floor). For many this is not a big deal but thought I would share this.
    NN5L does not have this limitation.
    If anyone know first hand please feel to share your expereinces.
    Thanks
    Bill
  3. Re: 30D with 24-105

howdy my nikon 300d sits on it pretty nicely and the size is just right for lugging around if im right thats L series glass she would be getting tight theres 90 mm of travel on the top rail from the tripod screw point
    from my calculations though im just a roof plumber with a rusty old tape i rekon if ya measure from tripod screw to were your noodle nodal point will be on that lens is if its under 90 mm you will be stylin
  4. Re: 30D with 24-105

IanP

Thanks guys for the replies. As part of my general kit I have been thinking I should have a wide angle lens as welll as the 24-105. The two that I have in mind at present are the 17-40 or the 10-22. Whichever one I end up with, I believe will be able to be used with the NN3 without a problem. At this stage I am leaning towards the 17-40 as I think it would be more versatile than the 10-22, plus I do not like the distortion problem with really wide lenses.
  5. Re: 30D with 24-105

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    The two that I have in mind at present are the 17-40 or the 10-22. At this stage I am leaning towards the 17-40 as I think it would be more versatile than the 10-22, plus I do not like the distortion problem with really wide lenses.
    Hi Ian,

The 10-22 is high quality and a great lens for both wide angle and panos. For spherical, I shoot at 8 around at +30, 8 around at -30(-35), one zenith, one nadir which is 18 images. Using exposure bracketing the number of images is 3x or 54. Rather than one zenith, I often shoot 3 around at +60, then the image count goes up even more. This yields great detail and works good for subjects which are mostly static. The problem is the large number of images to process and the time required. If your main goal is spherical, you might find yourself looking at fisheye lenses.

David
  6. Re: 30D with 24-105

I would recommend the 10-22mm too works awesome with the pano head.

sp