Upper arm heights in various NN versions.

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upper arm heights in various NN versions.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. Upper arm heights in various NN versions.

I currently have a NN sph 1-i (or maybe it's j) which worked fine with my older camera. Now that I have upgraded to a Nikon D50 and am attempting to do panoramas with the 18-55mm kit lens I've found that the upper arm isn't high enough to allow for full rotation up to get the Zenith shot. So, it looks like it's time to upgrade... What I want to know is if the newer versions of NN such as the NN3/NN3-II upper arm height is high enough to allow full rotation of the camera/lens to get the Zenith shot or if it's the same height as I have now?

I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of construction along with the ease of use when it comes to this panoramic head. I have looked at other options, but anything in the same price range just doesn't seem to stand up to this model so I plan on sticking with the NN family. If it will make my life easier to upgrade I'll save up and do that, but if I will run into the same problem, I'll stick with what I have and put the money towards a 10.5mm fisheye lens.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Re: Upper arm heights in various NN versions.

Users Country Flag

vertical clearance using the default rotator:
    NN3/NN3II ~125mm
    NN5/ NN5L ~172mm

add 10 mm to them if advanced rotator is used.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Upper arm heights in various NN versions.

4. Re: Upper arm heights in various NN versions.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991Syclone View Post
    I currently have a NN sph 1-i (or maybe it's j) which worked fine with my older camera. Now that I have upgraded to a Nikon D50 and am attempting to do panoramas with the 18-55mm kit lens I've found that the upper arm isn't high enough to allow for full rotation up to get the Zenith shot. So, it looks like it's time to upgrade... What I want to know is if the newer versions of NN such as the NN3/NN3-II upper arm height is high enough to allow full rotation of the camera/lens to get the Zenith shot or if it's the same height as I have now?

I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of construction along with the ease of use when it comes to this panoramic head. I have looked at other options, but anything in the same price range just doesn't seem to stand up to this model so I plan on sticking with the NN family. If it will make my life easier to upgrade I'll save up and do that, but if I will run into the same problem, I'll stick with what I have and put the money towards a 10.5mm fisheye lens.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi 1991Syclone,
    If you're very happy with NN1 you will be extremely gratified with NN3 MKII. Although you still will not be able to shoot the zenith with this lens - to do this you would need NN5L, or a different lens.
    We also have a trade-in program for folks using older equipment: http://nodalninja.com/trade_in.html
    BUT - you might want to try eBay - NN's have incredible resale value. We can even post it for you on our website under the used equipment page. If you want to do this touch bases with me - bill[at]nodalninja[dot]com.
    Thanks
    Bill
  5. Re: Upper arm heights in various NN versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    Hi 1991Syclone,
    If you're very happy with NN1 you will be extremely gratified with NN3 MKII. Although you still will not be able to shoot the zenith with this lens - to do this you would need NN5L, or a different lens.
    We also have a trade-in program for folks using older equipment: http://nodalninja.com/trade_in.html
    BUT - you might want to try eBay - NN's have incredible resale value. We can even post it for you on our website under the used equipment page. If you want to do this touch bases with me - bill[at]nodalninja[dot]com.
    Thanks
    Bill
    Thanks Bill:

So even with the new NN3 MKII and a quality fisheye lens (Nikkor, Sigma, Tokina), the camera would need to be tilted up say 10¬? in order to not have to shoot the zenith shot. I'm sure some trial and error would be in order to get the exact amount of tilt for that to work. Then a one handheld nadir should work for stitching in PTGui. I suppose if someone came up with a spacer between the lower and upper rail that would solve the issue as well.
  6. Re: Upper arm heights in various NN versions.

Hi 1991Syclone,
    Yes you can rotate the camera/lens slightly upward - you should be able to get about a 45 degree rotation upwards - which itself would be enough to catch the zenith. The 8mm or 10.5 lens (and many others) do allow for full rotation up.
+ Reply to Thread