WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Thread: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Share/Bookmark
  1. WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

These are statistics on the equipment used for those contributing to the Worldwide Panorama.
    The list shows who is using what and if you go back a few months you will see trends.

http://timhatch.com/projects/wwp-equipment/

Those interested in learningmore about the WWP visit http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldw...wwp/index.html
  2. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Users Country Flag

Looks like ...

Nodal Ninja
    Manfrotto Tripods
    and Ptgui are taking over the world

it is less clear about cameras and lenses....
    And we all march onwards....
  3. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Well you can count me in that crowd, I've just upgraded to a Nodal Ninja 5L and a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod. As for the camera choice I've gone for a Nikon D300.
  4. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Terrywoodenpic said:
    ...and Ptgui are taking over the world
    NN5L, Bogen (Manfrotto), PTGui with PT Assembler coming fast on the outside since it will do focus fusion where PTGui doesn't.
  5. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Terrywoodenpic said:
    NN5L, Bogen (Manfrotto), PTGui with PT Assembler coming fast on the outside since it will do focus fusion where PTGui doesn't.
    Yup I use PTAssembler... but we seem to be in the minority... I have no Idea why?
  6. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    Yup I use PTAssembler... but we seem to be in the minority... I have no Idea why?
    Really? The WWP statistics relate to VR panorama photography. There is no doubt that its practitioners find PTGui meets their particular requirements rather better than PTAssembler. PTA is targeted more at those seeking to produce high resolution partial panoramas, in which field its author - Max Lyons - is a notable exemplar.

John
  7. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    Really? The WWP statistics relate to VR panorama photography. There is no doubt that its practitioners find PTGui meets their particular requirements rather better than PTAssembler. PTA is targeted more at those seeking to produce high resolution partial panoramas, in which field its author - Max Lyons - is a notable exemplar.

John
    That it explains a lot...
    I have never had an interest in Vr photography, so perhaps I would never find the particular benefits of using PTGui.

Does that mean PTAssembler can not be used in the work flow of Vr ?
    What does PTGui bring to the game that is extra?
    Or has PTAssembler left something out? perhaps on purpose.?
  8. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Looks like ...
    Nodal Ninja
    Manfrotto Tripods
    and Ptgui are taking over the world
    This is a snapshot of select users. I wish we were taking over the world but keep in mind we are a small company with limited sales. That said Nick is doing a great job in product development and in bringing newer items to market.
    So word of mouth is important to us as is the building of a solid foundation of customer trust.
    Being small also allows us to provide for more efficient customer support and more of a one on one feel when working with folks.
    So remember - tell a friend!
    Thanks
    Bill
  9. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
    This is a snapshot of select users. I wish we were taking over the world but keep in mind we are a small company with limited sales. That said Nick is doing a great job in product development and in bringing newer items to market.
    So word of mouth is important to us as is the building of a solid foundation of customer trust.
    Being small also allows us to provide for more efficient customer support and more of a one on one feel when working with folks.
    So remember - tell a friend!
    Thanks
    Bill
    Well said Bill. These days it's not always easy to find the excellent "one on one" level of customer support that Nick, you, and the other NN resellers offer. And what helps tie it all together are the many pano veterans here who relentlessly offer their time, skills, and advice to improve everyones understanding.

Okay Ninja team.... let's get out there and take over the world!
  10. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Does that mean PTAssembler can not be used in the work flow of Vr ?
    What does PTGui bring to the game that is extra?
    PTAssembler can be used for VR work. After all, it uses the same Panorama Tools based stitching software. However, the more than 8 years of development of PTGui have been heavily influenced by the needs of VR panographers, who largely use fisheye lenses. If you want to understand why PTA is not so suitable for VR work, you really need to try to produce a 360x180 equirectangular image from a set of sample images. I have uploaded a set of 3 Sunex 5.6mm images - fov 185 degrees (taken by John Law). Download them from:

http://www.johnhpanos.com/sunex.zip (2MB)

Your experience with PTA should be enough to enable you to stitch them, but you may not find it as straightforward as you think.

John
  11. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Houghton View Post
    PTAssembler can be used for VR work. After all, it uses the same Panorama Tools based stitching software. However, the more than 8 years of development of PTGui have been heavily influenced by the needs of VR panographers, who largely use fisheye lenses. If you want to understand why PTA is not so suitable for VR work, you really need to try to produce a 360x180 equirectangular image from a set of sample images. I have uploaded a set of 3 Sunex 5.6mm images - fov 185 degrees (taken by John Law). Download them from:

http://www.johnhpanos.com/sunex.zip (2MB)

Your experience with PTA should be enough to enable you to stitch them, but you may not find it as straightforward as you think.

John
    Thanks John
    I had a quick look... which demonstrated to me that I know nothing at all about stitching 360x180.

If my interest ever moves in that direction, at least I will know an expert should I need to pick some brains.
    so far I have not even read up on it, which is my usual first step in learning something new.

Regards Terry
  12. Re: WWP Equipment: Statistics on the equipment used for WWP

Being a novice and using both PTGui and PTA, I find PTGui a bit more user friendly (that's a personal opinion not meant to challenge, etc.) I don't do 180X360 but do do exposure and focus fusion panos. PTGui does not do focus fusion for which I'm using PTA. Both are excellent programs with support not normally associated with computer software...

Richard