Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Share/Bookmark
  1. Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Users Country Flag

Fanotec is proud to announce a new entry into the product line - the Nodal Ninja 180 (NN180). The NN180 will support camera/lens combinations which NN3/5 do not support. They include gears for dual shot spherical panos (such as Nikon FC-E8/E9 and the Sunex 5.6mm Fisheye) and very long converter-camera combinations such as FC-E9/ Raynox DCR-CF185 Pro with long prosumer or point and shoot Digital Cameras.

NN180 is also intended to simplify pano taking for certain camera/lens combinations by allowing single row shooting instead of multi-row shooting. They include cameras with circular fisheye lenses (such as the Sigma 4.5mm, sigma 8mm on full frame camera, Sunex 5.6mm, Nikon FC-E8/E9) for making spherical panos, and wide angle lenses for making cylindrical panos. Lenses such as shaved Nikon 10.5mm on full frame sensor and Sigma 8mm on cropped sensor can be supported by using a L-bracket and slanted adapter (to be released later) for making spherical panos.

Here are the features.
    * universal for all circular fisheye lens
    From compact digital cameras (T-adapter required for offset tripod socket) with FC-E8/E9 to big professional cameras like Canon 1Ds series and Nikon D3.
    * advanced rotator design (Rotator D4).
    Fully lubricated bearing for smooth rotation. Same rotator also works with other Nodal Ninja's.
    * 4 detent interval options
    Complete set of 4 detent interval options (2, 3, 4, 6 stops /180, 120, 90, 60 degrees), suitable for most fisheye lens for making spherical panos. No skipping required..
    * detent interval can be changed in seconds
    * knob for locking rotation
    Ideal for making HDR panos or in windy locations.
    * small nadir footprint
    Diameter of 54mm provides sufficient precision and stability while keeping the nadir footprint small. The unique placement of knobs means that they will never appear in the spherical panos.
    * compact and light weight
    Weight 500g. Much lighter than multi-row equivalents.
    * 5kg loading supported
    Supports all cameras up to medium format.
    * more affordable than multi-row equivalent

Estimated time of availability is September/October.
    Target price is US$199.95 and an introductory price of US$179.95

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  2. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Think tilt. Think monopod or pole shots. Think universal rotators and universal arms that fit the rotators that someone can mix and match to get the necessary geometry. Separate the rotators and the arms like you have done and make more different length arms to fit the rotators.

So a person with a compact camera can select one or two rotators for mono or tripod and short light arms to fit. An NN3 or NN5 on my camera would be like shooting rabbits with a 50mm machine gun. You could do it but...
  3. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    Think tilt. Think monopod or pole shots. Think universal rotators and universal arms that fit the rotators that someone can mix and match to get the necessary geometry. Separate the rotators and the arms like you have done and make more different length arms to fit the rotators.
    The tilt can be achieved by tilted camera plate. To keep the cost down, we won't have arms of different lengths. We simply do not have the economy of scale. But it is possible to make lens clamp type of rigs to attach to the rotator. They will be done by CNC machining. cost is higher though.

nick

Fanotec
  4. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

lowjumpingfrog

This looks good. I would be more interested in it if I could mount my camera in a portrait position. Many of my panos are just three shots in a single row. I love the "wide angle zoom" effect. By shooting 3 portrait shots in a single row you end up with a stitched picture that as a similar aspect as a single shot in landscape. The single row pano is great for banners but is hard to view in many situations.
    I've often thought of just making a simple bracket that would hold the nodal point for the lens with the camera in the portrait position for single row panos. I always use the same camera and lens so adjustability is just a nuisance. Of course for a multipurpose product adjustability is required. Keep the innovations coming. I had not been on your web site for awhile and I see the acra mount. Sweet!
    It is hard to beat the versatility of the NN3 and I just love how compact and lightweight it is. I used to haul my Manfrotto 303SP into the mountains. Now I can carry more food.
    Cheers
    John
  5. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lowjumpingfrog View Post
    This looks good. I would be more interested in it if I could mount my camera in a portrait position. Many of my panos are just three shots in a single row. I love the "wide angle zoom" effect. By shooting 3 portrait shots in a single row you end up with a stitched picture that as a similar aspect as a single shot in landscape. The single row pano is great for banners but is hard to view in many situations.
    Hi John,

we will develop L-bracket for mounting in portrait mode the future. Camera specific product is costly to manage. Considering the number of cameras released every year, it is a nightmare for small company like us.

Nick

Fanotec
  6. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

europanorama

for portraits or changing from horizontals i have a stroboframe vertaflip from saunders. i have set markers to set nodalpoint for my p50 coolpix. there is big version even for up to mamiya press-cameras. it has 4 positions 35mm up to 69.i will test that too-later. first i must try out nikon coolpix p50(28-102) dont laugh. its lens is superbe despite camera limitations. i dont have pro-vr-heads yet. but a big roundshot as turntable-dont laugh again. i will certainly not carry around that beast(i have the old version of 65el-65/70/220).
    if you are interested what is possible with roundshot, look here:
    www.auschwitz.ch.vu or google auschwitzpanorama or auschwitz panorama
  7. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Quote Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
    if you are interested what is possible with roundshot, look here:
    www.auschwitz.ch.vu or google auschwitzpanorama or auschwitz panorama
    www.auschwitz.ch.vu =
  8. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

kickstand

Looking forward to this product.
  9. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

We hope you might take the time to share your feedback on how Nodal Ninja works for you.
    Thank you for your order.
    Bill
  10. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Looks very interesting! Will it be lighter, for monopod use? Will the price, with L-adapter be higher than NN3? I'd love to have a Nodal Ninja for monopod pano shooting with a Sigma 8mm f4 -- would need to use an L-adapter (or mount the lens directly, via a circular clamp), though, since I can't afford a full-frame, high-end dSLR that could shoot in landscape orientation!
  11. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Users Country Flag

I don't understand why you need a pano head with click stop rotator if you use a monopod. You can rotate the monopod directly. The click stop is not doing any good if you can't effectively prevent the mono pod from rotating. We will provide solution for monopod users in the future. Maybe we can even make monopods ourselves.

nick

Fanotec
  12. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I don't understand why you need a pano head with click stop rotator if you use a monopod. You can rotate the monopod directly. The click stop is not doing any good if you can't effectively prevent the mono pod from rotating. We will provide solution for monopod users in the future. Maybe we can even make monopods ourselves.
    nick
    I mostly use a monopod -- not that I'm making panos worth looking at but that's what I use. Easy to carry around.

You are right. A rotator on a monopod is silly and useless. What I would like on a monopod is
    three things.

1) An adjustable bubble level that I can slide up and down the monopod so that it is always at a position that can
    be easily seen.

2) A way to tilt the camera for down and up pointing shots and zenith.

3) A remote shutter release for a compact camera that doesn't have a remote shutter release.

And if you could control the tilt remotely, that would be a real winner.

If you make monopods, make it so that it could go 10 -12 feet tall for shooting over the heads of
    crowds.

I use a plastic disk with marks on it under the monopod's foot for rotational positions. A real
    wide lens you wouldn't need anything -- 4 shots around is pretty easy to eyeball. I've been
    thinking about a compass for more than 8 shots. An integrated compass and bubble level
    would be the perfect thing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
  13. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDuck View Post
    1) An adjustable bubble level that I can slide up and down the monopod so that it is always at a position that can
    be easily seen.
    Have a look at the...

Bogen - Manfrotto Spirit Level for Aligning Auto Poles (#2963)

Kind regards,

Juergen
  14. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Is there a good date we can look forward to the NN 180?
  15. Re: Coming soon: Nodal Ninja 180 for single row panoramic photography

Users Country Flag

In two weeks.

nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread