Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lilien View Post
    Hello,

with the D8 and D12 rotators you have very interesting products!

The only problem I see is to make these fit in an Arca Swiss environment.

It must be possible to mount an Arca clamp on top of the rotators, and
    the most common screw to do this is 3/8". Your M6 socket seems to be
    a problem at this point.

To mount a rotator on top of an Arca Swiss compatible ballhead, you need
    a plate under the rotator. The most elegant way to do this seems something
    like the RRS Dovetail mount for the PCL-1 clamp (PCL-DVTL). Is it possible
    to you make your rotator compatible (2 sockets) with the (pricey) PCL-DVTL,
    or invent your own solution?

Kind regards,

Juergen
    The advanced rotators are members of our new product lines, Nodal Ninja Ultimate (NN UL). The NN UL is our dream product and features highest quality standard from Fanotec--all precision CNC machined from premium quality material. It is based on Arca Swiss compatible system to give the best versatility and functionality. More components will be released later this year including AS QR clamp made for the rotators. Do give us some time as ours hands are full at the moment.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  2. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tailwinds View Post
    I only have one ultra-wide, the Tokina 10-17mm, and it needs a minimum of 5 shots round. So 2,3,4 detents are pointless to me, while 5 is more useful. Just playing with numbers I think 5, 24, 30 detents would be a fun combo, yielding 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 24, 30 stops, with no skips at either the wide or narrow end and no more than two skips in the middle. It would also have 2, 4, and 6 but with too many skips.

I don't think I'll need it, but is it possible to have two 30 detent rings offset to create 60 detents when both are selected?

Most importantly, can I get one by the Oshkosh Airshow (Jul 28-Aug3)?
    5, 24, 30 detents is a good set and can be potentially popular. would 10, 24, 30 be better?
    I am not sure if two 30 detents will be popular. It seems complicated for average users. It is possible though.
    Customization is costly and we need to make sure at least 20 customers are interested in a particular set.

nick

Fanotec
  3. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    would 10, 24, 30 be better?
    a) Do you prefer no skips at 5 more than no skips at 10 stops.
    b) Do you find one skip at 5 more than objectionable than two skips for 10 stops
    c) If you answered no to (b), is one skip for 12 stops a suitable alternative?

Answer 2 yes: 5, 24, 30 is better
    Answer 2 no: 10, 24, 30 is better

Personally I like 5, 24, 30, but if only the 10, 24, 30 option were available I would still buy it.
  4. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Nick,

I tested all my lenses today to see which detent settings would be most useful to me, and the results point to a 5,24,30 or 10,24,30 setup for the D3L. I could make use of stops at 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 18, 24, and 30 detents. 18-20 stops is useful at 45mm (1.6x), which I don't use often so I could drop that without heartbreak.

While we're talking of advanced rotors.... there's a subset of panographers who use very long focal lengths and have shot to shot rotation needs of < 3 degrees. Since detents that fine are impractical, might you someday build a geared rotor? Gears could be used to get 1/10th degree rotational accuracy. Perhaps one full rotation of a knob could rotate the device one degree. If you restrict the range of motion to substantially less than 360 degrees (maybe 30-40) you could increase the accuracy of the angle readout without making it too huge.

- Eric

5. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tailwinds View Post
    While we're talking of advanced rotors.... there's a subset of panographers who use very long focal lengths and have shot to shot rotation needs of < 3 degrees. Since detents that fine are impractical, might you someday build a geared rotor? Gears could be used to get 1/10th degree rotational accuracy. Perhaps one full rotation of a knob could rotate the device one degree. If you restrict the range of motion to substantially less than 360 degrees (maybe 30-40) you could increase the accuracy of the angle readout without making it too huge.
    Hi Eric,

thanks for your suggestion. Actually, I got this suggestion more than one year ago. I hope we can develop something similar in the future.

Nick

Fanotec
  6. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

The advanced rotators are members of our new product lines, Nodal Ninja Ultimate (NN UL). The NN UL is our dream product and features highest quality standard from Fanotec--all precision CNC machined from premium quality material. It is based on Arca Swiss compatible system to give the best versatility and functionality. More components will be released later this year including AS QR clamp made for the rotators. Do give us some time as ours hands are full at the moment.

nick
    Hi Nick,

Another? You are keeping your customer awake waiting curiously while you sleep!

psJIM
  7. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Nick:

From the looks of it the D8 rotator Has the detents on the sides rather than on the bottom. This eliminates the necessary play inherent in a bottom spring loaded plunger setup and allows smooth rotation without any play. As much as I like my NN3 and NN3MKII, the rotator base is still the weak link, as the tension always needs to be played with and there is the play needed to allow rotation. Do I surmise correctly about the D8? Can it replace my MKII base, which after using it extensively for the first time proved no better than its predecessor?
    I still love the rest of the setup, and hope the D8 will fix the weak link.

Thanks,
    Tim Eastman
  8. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by waters View Post
    I still love the rest of the setup, and hope the D8 will fix the weak link.
    yes, the rotators are very robust. no play.

nick

Fanotec
  9. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Nick:
    Any news on new rotators? D8?
  10. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Nick:
    Any updated time frame on availability for the D8?
    Tim
  11. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

we will start shipping within 2 weeks.

ncik

Fanotec
  12. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

[D8]
    we will start shipping within 2 weeks.
    Hi Nick,
    great!

Is this also true for the D12?
    And is there also an Arca Swiss type clamp coming, that fits onto the rotator(s)?

Thanks and kind regards,

Juergen
  13. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lilien View Post
    [D8]
    Hi Nick,
    great!

Is this also true for the D12?
    And is there also an Arca Swiss type clamp coming, that fits onto the rotator(s)?

Thanks and kind regards,

Juergen
    all rotator D4/8/12 and NN180 will be available in 2 weeks.
    the AS clamp will take some more time. I am struggling on what other features to add. The clamp is part of the very big system. I need to nail down the system first. Otherwise there will be too many versions.

nick

Fanotec
  14. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

all rotator D4/8/12 and NN180 will be available in 2 weeks.
    the AS clamp will take some more time. I am struggling on what other features to add. The clamp is part of the very big system. I need to nail down the system first. Otherwise there will be too many versions.

nick
    I take it then you are launching them at the Photikina...
    They should certainly stir some interest amongst those interested in Pans.
  15. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Nick:
    Does the D8 rotator attach to the NN3 rail? I assume it does and the Allan screw holds the rail down? Also, have you eliminated the play inherent in the rotators with the bottom mounted detent mechanism; i.e. the new rotator rotates on a bearing? Very interested.
    Tim