Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

So can I use the rotator with the NN3 MK II? I assume you would not use the rotator in the NN. How do you lock it down?
  2. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Cooper View Post
    So can I use the rotator with the NN3 MK II? I assume you would not use the rotator in the NN. How do you lock it down?
    The rotators have a M6 socket. So the lower rail is mounted onto the rotator by a M6 screw. NN3 rubber camera mounting plate can be placed under the rail as anti-twist padding. This should be sufficient considering the small loading you are to put on NN3(II). If not, we can make an anti-twist adapter as the interface. NN5 or futures NNs have right sockets for anti-twist pins as pictured.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  3. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

When will the NN3 be redesigned for that. I am about to purchase it, but would prefer to wait a reasonable amount of time.
  4. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Are the pins in a different position to the plastic detent retaining pins.? Iff so why? are they interchangeable?
    Looks like a simple drill and tap situation. You could always provide a thin plastic drilling guide to put over the NN3 ii centre screw.
  5. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Nick, you did it again! For the last week, I've been agonizing about the MKII rotator upgrade to my NN3-MKI and now you have to muddy my thinking with new options.

I can't help but be drawn to the D3L. If you do create an anti-twist adapter for the NN3 that fits your pin sockets, I think you've got another winner!

Maybe I'll hold off on Drilling and Tapping my MKI for a bit.

Thanks again

- Dean
  6. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    Are the pins in a different position to the plastic detent retaining pins.? If so why? are they interchangeable?
    Looks like a simple drill and tap situation. You could always provide a thin plastic drilling guide to put over the NN3 ii centre screw.
    The pins in NN3 are quite close together. This is because the detent ring is small. When designing NN5, we decide to put them farther away. The farther away, the better anti-twisting and reproducibility in positioning. Any way, anti-twist adapter for NN3 can be made easily.

nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

jldt706

When can we get our hands one these awesome items?

Are there any realease dates that we can count on?
  8. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jldt706 View Post
    When can we get our hands one these awesome items?

Are there any realease dates that we can count on?
    late July to early September.

nick

Fanotec
  9. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Hi! I asked my brother in law to buy the upgrade rotator for the NN3 in my name. Visiting the Nodal Ninja store, I noticed that the Rotator R-D12 is already been offered. Now is it ready to be shipped or will it be still as promissed "due mid to late 2008"?
    If it is not this one then I will go with the MKII upgrade .
    Thanks, regards, Martin
  10. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

I have to say, when I'm not out actually using my NN I'll be sitting here with my credit card out waiting to order the Rotator D12.

I had been resigned to living with the 10 degree dentent installed and counting clicks when I'm using a wider lens.

Also, I have to agree it would be great to have even smaller stops, even 5 degrees would be amazing but I'll be happy for the 7.5. I take a lot of shots in low light conditions and the marks are sometimes a little hard to read. At any rate I appreciate your craftsmanship and I would never want you to compromise quality to try to make the tighter stops work. Your products have the rare feel of something that is made by someone who actually uses their own creations.

"Well, some day, we may have motorized rotators..." Ok, I just have to go out shoot something now...

Thanks for the great tools!

11. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Quote Originally Posted by wheller View Post
    "Well, some day, we may have motorized rotators..."
    Search around, there are several out there already.

For example
    http://marc-kairies.de/english/index.html

David
  12. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Nick,

Will it be possible to order the NNs with one of these advanced rotators instead of the standard? Will you extend your NN buyback offer to just rotators, for those looking to upgrade. I have the NN3 Mk 1 and would love to put that D3L on it. You mention custom detent positions, is that an extra cost? Thank you for making wonderful toys!

13. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tailwinds View Post
    Nick,

Will it be possible to order the NNs with one of these advanced rotators instead of the standard? Will you extend your NN buyback offer to just rotators, for those looking to upgrade. I have the NN3 Mk 1 and would love to put that D3L on it. You mention custom detent positions, is that an extra cost? Thank you for making wonderful toys!

In the future we will have packages with the advanced rotator replacing the default rotator.
    we will not buy back NN3I rotator as it is discontinued. Deducting the return shipping cost, I don't think it will save you much money.
    If feadback shows that particular sets of detent combination for D3L is popular, we may offer it without extra cost. We may charge extra if the total number of stops exceed certain number because the maching cost is proportional to the number of stops. what detent settings do you like?

Nick

Fanotec
  14. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Hello,

with the D8 and D12 rotators you have very interesting products!

The only problem I see is to make these fit in an Arca Swiss environment.

It must be possible to mount an Arca clamp on top of the rotators, and
    the most common screw to do this is 3/8". Your M6 socket seems to be
    a problem at this point.

To mount a rotator on top of an Arca Swiss compatible ballhead, you need
    a plate under the rotator. The most elegant way to do this seems something
    like the RRS Dovetail mount for the PCL-1 clamp (PCL-DVTL). Is it possible
    to you make your rotator compatible (2 sockets) with the (pricey) PCL-DVTL,
    or invent your own solution?

Kind regards,

Juergen
  15. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    what detent settings do you like?
    Good question. The 20 detent ring is in their now, but with the chance to have three rings all active at once.... I only have one ultra-wide, the Tokina 10-17mm, and it needs a minimum of 5 shots round. So 2,3,4 detents are pointless to me, while 5 is more useful. Just playing with numbers I think 5, 24, 30 detents would be a fun combo, yielding 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 24, 30 stops, with no skips at either the wide or narrow end and no more than two skips in the middle. It would also have 2, 4, and 6 but with too many skips.

I don't think I'll need it, but is it possible to have two 30 detent rings offset to create 60 detents when both are selected?

Most importantly, can I get one by the Oshkosh Airshow (Jul 28-Aug3)?
+ Reply to Thread