Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Share/Bookmark
  1. Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Long time ago, we planned to release some advanced rotators for the most demanding customers. We fail to do that until we invest heavily in computer aided design (CAD) and computer aided manufacturing (CAM) facilities. We count every second to sort out factors affecting the precision and quality of the final design. After many versions of prototyping and tweaking and discussion with advanced panographers, we come to 3 most advanced rotators that represent the top of line of Fanotec products. We believe they are what panographers having been awaiting for a long time—a rotator that combines precision, ease of use, compact, light weight and durability.

Here are the features common to these 3 models. Features for specific model will be listed alongside with each model.
    * made from imported premium quality aluminum alloy.
    * precision CNC machined components
    * lubricated bearings for smooth rotation
    * laser engraved marking
    * detent interval option can be changed on the fly.
    * more than 10 kg loading supported.

Rotator D8
    * 8 detent interval options
    Complete set of 8 detent interval options (3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 18 stops / 120, 90, 60, 45, 36, 30, 24, 20 degrees) suitable for lens ranging from ultra wide angle to 50mm (35mm eq.). No more need for skipping detent interval. Ideal for pressurized situations in which shooting must be completed quickly, such as in changing lighting. No more missing photos due to mistake in skipping.

* detent interval can be changed in seconds
    * knob for locking rotation
    Ideal for making HDR panos or in windy locations.
    * small nadir footprint
    Diameter of 62mm provides sufficient precision and stability while keeping the nadir footprint small. The unique placement of knobs means that they will never appear in the spherical panos.
    * fine 2.5 degree interval for making high resolution mosaics.
    * compact and light weight
    Probably this is the most compact and light weight rotator with 8 detent interval options built-in-- a mere 350g, a diameter of 62mm and a height of 40mm.
    Target price is US$149.95

Rotator D12
    * 12 detent interval options
    Complete set of 12 detent interval options (3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 18, 24, 30, 36, 48 stops / 120, 90, 60, 45, 36, 30, 24, 20, 15, 12, 10, 7.5 degrees) suitable for lens ranging from ultra wide angle to 135mm (35mm eq.). No more need for skipping detent interval. Ideal for pressurized situations in which shooting must be completed quickly, such as in changing lighting. No more missing photos due to mistake in skipping.

* small nadir footprint
    Diameter of 62mm provides sufficient precision and stability while keeping the nadir footprint small. The unique placement of knobs means that they will never appear in the spherical panos.
    * fine 2.5 degree interval for making high resolution mosaics.
    Probably this is the most compact and light weight rotator with 12 detent interval options built-in-- a mere 400g, a diameter of 62mm and a height of 49mm.
    Target price is US$179.95

Rotator D3L
    This is most fancy product we ever developed!
    * new EZ-Leveler MKII built in.
    Users can now adjust very fine leveling WITH LOADING of heavy gear on top. Unlike leveling using ball head or tripod legs, leveling remains stationary after each adjustment. No more need to compensate for the effect of loading. Maximum angle of adjustment is 5 degrees.

* 3 selectable detent interval options.
    There will be 2 versions. Customers can select either a combination of 6, 8, 10 stops or 6, 8, 30 stops. By skipping, one can get 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 stops or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 15, 30 stops respectively. Popular combinations like 3, 4, 6 can also be made upper request.

* detent interval can be changed in less than 3 seconds
    By a simple flip of detent switches, detent interval setting can be changed from one to another on the fly.

* compact and light weight.
    Probably this is the most compact and light weight rotator with leveling base built-in-- a mere 330g and a minimum height of 48mm.
    Target price is US$189.95

Rotator D4
    The default rotator for our new product, Nodal Ninja 180.
    * 4 detent interval options
    Complete set of 4 detent interval options (2, 3, 4, 6 stops / 180, 120, 90, 60 degrees), suitable for most ultra wide angle lens for making spherical panos.

* small nadir footprint
    Diameter of 54mm provides sufficient precision and stability while keeping the nadir footprint small. The unique placement of knobs means that they will never appear in the spherical panos.
    A mere 220g, a diameter of 54mm and a height of 40mm.
    5kg loading supported
    Target price is US$129.95.

Note: price updated to reflect the acutal manufacturing cost. Detent interval changed for optimal use for fisheye lens.

More photos

Note that specifications may change slightly in production models.

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  2. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Wow! Really like the spec of the D12. Any ideas yet on availability and pricing?

Regards
    Andrew
  3. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

What an amazing range of heads.
    People will find it hard to chose......
    But there is something for about everyone there...

Well done indeed.
  4. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Nice work Nick!
    Great additions to an already excellent NN line!
    Will the Rotator D3L be an upgrade for current NN's?

David
  5. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Amazing !!
    Just a question : can these new rotators be used on NN3 mark I ?
  6. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Wow! Really like the spec of the D12. Any ideas yet on availability and pricing?

Regards
    Andrew
    Pricing added to each model in the announcement now. Target price for Rotator D12 (RD12) is US$179.95. Available in Aug/ Sept.

nick

Fanotec
  7. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    Nice work Nick!
    Great additions to an already excellent NN line!
    Will the Rotator D3L be an upgrade for current NN's?

David
    all of the rotators work with old and existing and future NNs.

nick

Fanotec
  8. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gibie View Post
    Amazing !!
    Just a question : can these new rotators be used on NN3 mark I ?
    sure. even work with NN1/2.

nick

Fanotec
  9. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Congratulations. Nice work. So, we have still to wait until August. Right?
    Thanks, Martin
  10. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Hello Nick

Thanks for the pricing and availability info on the Rotator D12.

I don't know whether you have considered this, or if it is feasible with your design, but if, on the 12 degree detent level, you were to add a second detent pin almost diametrically opposite the first 12 degree pin, but actually offset by 6 degrees (i.e. at +/- 174 degrees from the first pin) you would achieve a click at every 6 degrees with both pins in use.

Similarly with a second 10 degree pin displaced from the first by +/- 175 degrees you could achieve a click every 5 degrees, and with a second 7.5 degree pin displaced by +/- 176.25 degrees, you could add clicks at 3.75 degrees.

I guess with CNC machining it should be possible to get sufficient accuracy to do this. What do you think?

I do some high res pano work with a 210 mm equivalent lens and the thought of having click stops usable with this lens really gets me excited!

Kind regards

Andrew
  11. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    I don't know whether you have considered this, or if it is feasible with your design, but if, on the 12 degree detent level, you were to add a second detent pin almost diametrically opposite the first 12 degree pin, but actually offset by 6 degrees (i.e. at +/- 174 degrees from the first pin) you would achieve a click at every 6 degrees with both pins in use.

Similarly with a second 10 degree pin displaced from the first by +/- 175 degrees you could achieve a click every 5 degrees, and with a second 7.5 degree pin displaced by +/- 176.25 degrees, you could add clicks at 3.75 degrees.
    Andrew
    we tried the idea actually. For the 7.5 degree detent, the "detent wells" are almost touching each other. Dual detent plungers do not work well. One of them is going to interfere the other to some extent. The idea works for coarser detents. But too many holes make the rotator ugly and work against our aim of ease of use. Actually I did lots of research of the need of people in making high resolution mosaics, if 7.5 degree detent does not fit them, neither will a 5 degree one, neither will a 3.75 degree one. So I gave up. You can rotate it freely without the detent plunger. and we have 2.5 degree interval index. you should be able to read half the interval easily.
    Well, some day, we may have motorized rotators. They should solve the problem.

nick

Fanotec
  12. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

sorry i m not 100% sure abt the use of a rotators?
    can someone tell me why do we still need a rotator if the nn already has click stops detent?
    thank you
  13. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by asiavr View Post
    sorry i m not 100% sure abt the use of a rotators?
    can someone tell me why do we still need a rotator if the nn already has click stops detent?
    thank you
    These are ADVANCED OPTIONAL rotators that REPLACE the default rotator. They are for the most demanding customers who need more bells and whistles.

nick

Fanotec
  14. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Hi Nick,

Will the D4 rotator be precise enough for batch stitching? With an NN3, you (and I) would have the lightest batchable pano head on the market.

Regards
  15. Re: Coming soon: Advanced Rotators for Nodal Ninjas

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by psJIM View Post
    Hi Nick,

Will the D4 rotator be precise enough for batch stitching? With an NN3, you (and I) would have the lightest batchable pano head on the market.

Regards
    I don't think all these rotators are good enough for batch stitching. Much larger diameter is needed.

nick

Fanotec
+ Reply to Thread