NN3 Rotator upgrade
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NN3 Rotator upgrade

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ewie_nz View Post
    Bill, Nick.... If I were to upgrade to the MKII rotater and detents, will the newer detent rings provide a finer step increment than 15 degrees?
    Alternatively, can I use the unit (MK1 or MK2) without detents to get finer adjustment?

Cheers, Ewie
    Due to the small diameter of the detent ring, we can not provide smaller than 15 degree increment. One of the detent rings has a blank/flat surface. you can use it for finer adjustment.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  2. Re: Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Hi Dean, all of a sudden, I find my English not good enough to describe the upgrade process. :blushing:. I will take some pictures later to illustrate the process. You must have a drill, 3.5mm drill bit, a M4 tap and tap wrench.

nick
    Thanks for the update, Nick. What can I say except "a picture is worth a thousand words." Thanks again!

Dean
  3. Re: Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frate View Post
    Thanks for the update, Nick. What can I say except "a picture is worth a thousand words." Thanks again!

Dean
    Hi Dean,
    here is my 5 thousand word description.
    http://nodalninja.com/NN3_to_MKII_DIY_Upgrade.pdf

nick

Fanotec
  4. Re: Rotator upgrade

nick,

i took my nn3 with new rotator out today for the first time in the field.

it came loose a number of times making it rather difficult to align bracketed shots.

it rotates smoothly, but when it moves smoothly, it also is loose enough to rock. if i tighten it, the rotation becomes rough on a brand new detent ring which i've wiped off a number of times and appears gouged a good bit for a day's use.

i'm pretty frustrated with it at the moment and probably shouldn't be posting on a forum. i've put loc-tite on it today, but as i said on another forum, it looks like i'll have to go back to the old knob unless you have something different to tell me about how to use a simple knob :-\
  5. Re: Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by aiwetir View Post
    it rotates smoothly, but when it moves smoothly, it also is loose enough to rock. if i tighten it, the rotation becomes rough on a brand new detent ring which i've wiped off a number of times and appears gouged a good bit for a day's use.
    Did you put any teflon rings under the knob? If you did, remove them.
    The brass dust acts as lubricant. so just leave it there. You should be able to make some fine adjustment on the tension knob. By fine adjustment, I mean every 10 degrees of rotation. Does the knob loosen when you rotate anti-clockwise? It should not loosen unless the tension is too small. the wearing of new detent ring is normal. There can be slight unevenness in the surface. Once the surface becomes flat and smooth, wearing should slow down.
    BTW, which model of Loctite are you using? don't use the models for permanent seal/ joint.

nick

Fanotec
  6. Re: Rotator upgrade

Did you put any teflon rings under the knob? If you did, remove them.
    The brass dust acts as lubricant. so just leave it there. You should be able to make some fine adjustment on the tension knob. By fine adjustment, I mean every 10 degrees of rotation. Does the knob loosen when you rotate anti-clockwise? It should not loosen unless the tension is too small. the wearing of new detent ring is normal. There can be slight unevenness in the surface. Once the surface becomes flat and smooth, wearing should slow down.
    BTW, which model of Loctite are you using? don't use the models for permanent seal/ joint.

nick

no teflon rings inserted. i never rotate it counter clockwise (but i imagine with this new rotator it would be more possible than the old), it's just in the normal handling and carrying (walking around and getting in and out of the car) of the tripod. i used the blue loctite. i'll have to see how it works over time, i really can't have it coming loose in normal handling, perhaps a nylock type nut or a set screw is in order ??
  7. Re: Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

i used the blue loctite. i'll have to see how it works over time, i really can't have it coming loose in normal handling, perhaps a nylock type nut or a set screw is in order ??
    not sure if i understand. did you glue the tension knob to the rotator? Can you loosen it any more? Have you tried fine adjustment I suggested?

nick

Fanotec
  8. Re: Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

no teflon rings inserted. i never rotate it counter clockwise (but i imagine with this new rotator it would be more possible than the old), it's just in the normal handling and carrying (walking around and getting in and out of the car) of the tripod. i used the blue loctite. i'll have to see how it works over time, i really can't have it coming loose in normal handling, perhaps a nylock type nut or a set screw is in order ??
    What did you put the locktite on.? nothing on mine has a tendency to loosen in either direction. nor should it.
    If you put locktite near the bearing ... that sounds very bad news as it needs to be very free moving.
  9. Re: Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

Hi Dean,
    here is my 5 thousand word description.
    http://nodalninja.com/NN3_to_MKII_DIY_Upgrade.pdf

nick
    Thank you, Nick!

Bill, what, and how, should we order to try this upgrade?
    I'm seriously considering this.

- Dean
  10. Re: Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    What did you put the locktite on.? nothing on mine has a tendency to loosen in either direction. nor should it.
    If you put locktite near the bearing ... that sounds very bad news as it needs to be very free moving.
    If I had to guess, I'd think it was the center adjustment screw on the MKI.
  11. Re: Rotator upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic View Post
    of course i didn't put it on or near the bearing :
    there's only one part that could loosen, it's the big screw knob on top that comes loose in normal handling of the tripod, walking around with the tripod on my shoulder, getting in and out of the car etc. of course i tried the fine adjustments, if i have it tight enough to not come off, then the rotator is hard to turn and the detents are as hard to feel as the old rotator. if this is the case, then there's no reason for the upgrade knob.

so if i'm the only person with this issue, what in my setup could cause this nick, did i get a bad knob, is there a part missing or what ?

the loctite is a patch, it's not a permanent fix and i know after just a few adjustments the loctite will lose it's hold i'll be back to having to check the thing every single time, which is just another thing to mess up, never mind all all the other things that can be messed up with the camera.

i guess i'll just wait for the new rotators or get a different brand
  12. Re: Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

of course i tried the fine adjustments, if i have it tight enough to not come off, then the rotator is hard to turn and the detents are as hard to feel as the old rotator. if this is the case, then there's no reason for the upgrade knob.

so if i'm the only person with this issue, what in my setup could cause this nick, did i get a bad knob, is there a part missing or what ?
    i guess i'll just wait for the new rotators or get a different brand
    what lens/camera combination are you using? the new knob design just make adjustment easier. It does not make a big boost in performance.
    without anything on NN3 and assuming the tension is at the right level, does the knob loosen when you rotate anti-clockwise? Do you need to change detent ring often? If not, putting a little grease under the ring will help. You can use Lithium grease or Teflon grease for best result. if don't you have, I can send you a small tube of grease.
    If you want to keep the camera and NN3 on the tripod and walk with the tripod on shoulder, you need a rotator with locking knob. NN3/NN3II rotator is not for this purpose. We have tight budget on the rotator design. The inflated cost of NN3II rotator and detent rings make our profit margin even lower. We just want to give our customers the best for the money within our capability. And we enjoy it. Customer satisfaction and appreciation help me overcome the setbacks and challenges I face everyday in manufacturing and developing NNs. But "Life Is Never Easy!" I was told at a younger age.

nick

Fanotec
  13. Re: Rotator upgrade

what lens/camera combination are you using? the new knob design just make adjustment easier. It does not make a big boost in performance.
    without anything on NN3 and assuming the tension is at the right level, does the knob loosen when you rotate anti-clockwise? Do you need to change detent ring often? If not, putting a little grease under the ring will help. You can use Lithium grease or Teflon grease for best result. if don't you have, I can send you a small tube of grease.
    If you want to keep the camera and NN3 on the tripod and walk with the tripod on shoulder, you need a rotator with locking knob. NN3/NN3II rotator is not for this purpose. We have tight budget on the rotator design. The inflated cost of NN3II rotator and detent rings make our profit margin even lower. We just want to give our customers the best for the money within our capability. And we enjoy it. Customer satisfaction and appreciation help me overcome the setbacks and challenges I face everyday in manufacturing and developing NNs. But "Life Is Never Easy!" I was told at a younger age. ;
    nick
    nick,

i use a d70 and 10.5 nikkor
    no it does not loosen when i turn it ccw, but as i said, i don't turn it that way in use (i'm sure it goes that way by accident at times though).
    i can probably get away without ever changing the detent ring, i have plenty of different lubricants lying around, no worries on that.

i do need a locking knob so i may try putting the old knob onto the new base with a teflon washer again. i actually carry the old rotator in my bag as i anticipated this issue.

i got your p.m. and i'll more than likely be getting a newer rotator when you finally have them they all look interesting, i just have to decide. i am looking for something more precise though, any secret plans on a nn4 or nn6 something to fill the price gap between the nn3 and agnos or 360p

thanks for your time nick, i'll just work with what i have right now and plan on picking up something in the near future
  14. Re: Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

i am looking for something more precise though, any secret plans on a nn4 or nn6 something to fill the price gap between the nn3 and agnos or 360p
    In around one and a half years, we developped EZ-Leveler, NN5, Arca Swiss style QR system, NN3II, 4 advanced rotators and NN180. So what are we still going to achieve in 2008/2009? You bet.
    sorry a sercret is something that can't be revealed by definition. My tip is always stay with us.
    In fact even myself can't predict the release date of a product until it is released. Lots of uncertainty.

nick

Fanotec
  15. Re: NN3 Rotator upgrade

Users Country Flag

One of the things I've always enjoyed about the NodalNinja line is the price point. Is there any thought of creating a line of parts that can be assembled into custom rigs as desired. In this way, one could buy and upgrade as needed/desired/compelled...Well, there might be some psychiatric issues with photo nuts...not me...I can stop anytime I want...honest...

- Dean