Stitching software

View Poll Results: POLL - What stitching software do you use?

Voters
415. You may not vote on this poll
  • PTGui

190 45.78%
  • Easypano

14 3.37%
  • Realviz

18 4.34%
  • Hugin

32 7.71%
  • Panorama Factory

15 3.61%
  • Photovista

1 0.24%
  • VR Worx

0 0%
  • PTBatch

1 0.24%
  • PTAssembler

7 1.69%
  • PhotoShop

55 13.25%
  • Autopano / Pro

68 16.39%
  • Calico Panorama

3 0.72%
  • Other

25 6.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stitching software

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: Stitching software

Up to now I like th ePTGUI much better. Compared to Autopano Pro or Giga (that I would maybe like because of the features) PTGUI gets much better results with exactly the same pictures. I compared PTGUI with RAWS with Autopano with RAWs as well as PTGUI with preprocessed 16BIT TIFS with Autopano precprocesses Tiffs. In every case the PTGUI wins. I really don't know why...

Also: I do not like that the Autopano seams to be less brilliant (colors) than the PTGUI. Might have to do with the settings. But I compared standard settings with standard settings...

Any recommandation?
    Regards
    Kai
  2. Re: Stitching software

Users Country Flag

Hi Bill,

I am using Autopano Giga.

Kolor is a small company, the spirit is entrepreneurial and so, I'd rather patronize the small (and more specialized) gems rather that the 801 lbs Gorilla (Photoshop, that is).

I started panoramic stitching from scratch, ?459.67¬?F (absolute zero) . The software works wonderfully for me.

I would like to recommend an excellent DVD from French photographer Arnaud Frich called "Panoramic Photography with Autopano Pro".

My only sore point with Autopano lies with its documentation, which content seems a bit out of date. I know they're working on updating it (as of July 29th, 2009).

On the positive side:
    The wiki includes video tutorials. That is an excellent idea (not yet available on YouTube...but who knows, one day...),
    The Autopano forum is very active. There seems to be some real pros there answering mega fast...that's a BIG help.

There are my two cents.

Cheers!
  3. Re: Stitching software

i recently switched to PTGUI from realviz/autodesk stitcher as autodesk has apparently abandoned all development and support for this product, actually removing critical features in 5.7 & stitcher unlimited, such as batch rendering, an essential feature which ptgui, autopano, & hugin all support -

not to mention their official and explicitly stated "no support for paying customers after 30 days" policy, more like a trial period than a support plan -

this app was once as good or better than anything else out there, now it is just an overpriced toy, not a professional tool at all

sam

Sam Rohn :: 360° Panoramic Photography :: Location Scout :: New York City :: www.samrohn.com

PanoPress :: WordPress Plugin for 360° Panoramas in Flash & HTML5 :: www.panopress.org
  4. Re: Stitching software

I have been given a copy of canon photostich, on the recommendation of Ken rockwell, my mate has a canon and ill be using it on a mac10.5.8
    any comments greatly appreciated
  5. Re: Stitching software

Quote Originally Posted by donnnnnny View Post
    I have been given a copy of canon photostich, on the recommendation of Ken rockwell, my mate has a canon and ill be using it on a mac10.5.8
    any comments greatly appreciated
    I have Canon PhotoStitch Don and rarely use it these days. I found I got much better results from Panorama Factory, although until recently, all my panorama successes have been at long focal lengths. Now that I have the NN5, it'll be interesting to see how well PF really works. I also use Photoshop on the odd occassion to stitch photos as well.
  6. Re: Stitching software

cc2009

I prefer Easypano Panoweaver, which supports HDR creation, Camera RAW, flash output format, and mostly import, easy to use for a newbie like me.
    BTW, the tripod mark on the bottom could be removed!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4409868...27118/sizes/l/
  7. Re: Stitching software

Even though I never have used PTGUI. I find the barrel distorsion in their gallery not very attractive. Has anyone done stitching with PTGUI showing straight lines?
    Someone recommended the software to me as the best, but since the distortion is very noticeable, I am afraid my clients would complain. :

Diego
  8. Re: Stitching software

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoto View Post
    Even though I never have used PTGUI. I find the barrel distorsion in their gallery not very attractive. Has anyone done stitching with PTGUI showing straight lines?
    Someone recommended the software to me as the best, but since the distortion is very noticeable, I am afraid my clients would complain. :

Diego
    Ha Ha
    Yes Diego I have to laugh.
    The barrel distortion you are talking about is I guess the special fisheye option of the KRPano viewer.

Its a feature that KRPano has and has of course nothing to do with PTgui or stitching.
    Its just a matter of settings you do in the XML for the viewer.
    You can have a right click option for changing this if you want. I do not like it either but a lot of other photographers do as it gives you the option of a large FOV without the extreme distortion that rectilinear projection has. It is great for panoramas in crowds with people where you want to show a large field of view for example at a tradeshow.

Hans
    www.panoramas.dk
  9. Re: Stitching software

Great!

Thanks a lot Hans. I am glad the effect is optional. PTGui support answered me in an email this was a request from many customers, but did not tell me if I could disable it.
    Great panoramas on your website.

Diego

10. Re: Stitching software

Tanks

Well PTgui has nothing to do with KRpano. It is just used as viewer in their Gallery. I actually just suggested to Joost to just use the standard rectilinear view for it as it can be very missleading showing the panoramas with this projection.

HJans
  11. Re: Stitching software

Thanks for telling him.

I got to make a correction about my latest comment

The barrel effect was not suggested by clients, just added deliberately to allow a larger field without the image stretched on the sides.

Diego
  12. Re: Stitching software

Quote Originally Posted by cc2009 View Post
    I prefer Easypano Panoweaver, which supports HDR creation, Camera RAW, flash output format, and mostly import, easy to use for a newbie like me.
    I wonder if you need a third party software for output formats in PTGui?
  13. Re: Stitching software

Thanks for telling him.
    I got to make a correction about my latest comment
    I'm glad to meet you

Removed spam from signature
  14. Re: Stitching software

PTGui is my favorite!

I use also Pano2VR to make the 360X180 panorama!

Regards,

Johan

Stitching Pole is now active again :)