Best economical tripods
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best economical tripods

Share/Bookmark
  1. Re: Best economical tripods

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiExpat View Post
    Having said all that, I found one that takes about 3 seconds to put up, and amybe 6 seconds to fold away again. Manfrotto 458B.
    I've never seen a Neotec 458B.
    How easy is it to make small leg adjustments?
    Can this be done with one hand?
  2. Re: Best economical tripods

The Neotec tripod leg is such a cool concept.!

Because the legs are on 'upside down' the bottom end is waterproof and easy to clean up if they do get dirty. I don't have the tripod but my Bogen monopod (Manfrotto 334B) is exactly the same technology.

Edmonton, Canada, Eh ?
  3. Re: Best economical tripods

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    I've never seen a Neotec 458B.
    How easy is it to make small leg adjustments?
    Can this be done with one hand?
    Hi Macro, Short answer is - Yes, and No. To extend the legs, you hold the top, somewhere around the head, and grab a leg and pull it down (no latches to flip or anything) the leg will stay where you leave it. Repeat for the other two legs. Tripod is up! Simple as that.

To fold it away, or adjust the langth of a leg, there is a button at the top of each leg that you press and that lets the leg slide up (shorter). Repeat for the other two legs. Tripod folded! Because you have to hold the top part of the tripod in your left hand and squeeze the button with your thumb, it takes a fraction longer to fold up than to extend it.

Apart from the speed and ease of use, the centre column can be removed and fitted sideways for macro or low-level use. BTW, the legs can be set individually to 3 different angles, so that is great for uneven ground.

Sounds like I should get a commission - but I don't :-(
  4. Re: Best economical tripods

[quote=Ped;24073]
    I bought a Benro versatile, the cheaper end aluminium type. It is sturdy enough and the legs can go way out if needed. The only problem I have had is the head is stuck fast :blushing: So my NN3 gets fastened to that. I am thinking of giving it a good whack with a hammer, it will either loosen or break I must admit though that I wish I had gone for the more expensive carbon version for the weight reduction, the one I have can be quite cumbersome at times.

Ped

Anyone know of a bag that can take tripod, camera NN3 and a couple of lenses? There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice for that.
    [/quote
    manfrotto make a bag its padded with a good shoulder sling im at the moment getting my local bag maker to stitch a couple of tags on it so i can attach a couple of lowepro slip lock accesasary lens cases etc the bag fits a manfrotto 190xprob tripod with the nn3 no worries im actually going top sell this bag and will advertise it here in second goods bit when finitoed as ive come up with another setup that is easier good luck dude]
  5. Re: Best economical tripods

I bought my first semi-serious tripod a few months back, it's the SLIK 614 CF PRO legs with Manfrotto 486 RC2 head.

Legs: http://www.slik.com/carbon/e/4906752100974-e.html

Fully ajustable in length, and call also open out almost flat (center post is 2 part so can be shortened), pretty light at 860g (about 1.9lbs), I found them at my local San Jose Camera shop for about USD$200. (I don't think you can beat actually trying out the equipment like this in the shop, and I couldn't find it cheaper on the web).

For the head I chose the Manfrotto 486RC2 which is a ball head hence quick to adjust, compact, and strong enough for the 40D and my biggest lens, the Canon 100-400L. This was about USD$70 from the same shop and weighs in at 670g (about 1.5lbs). Note RC2 means it has the quick release plate, they also do a version without this if you want to save a little weight etc.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2304

Overall I'm very happy with my choices, I've got something that's pretty light but still solid, extends to nearly head height without the need to raise the center tube, and it's also very flexible with the leg positioning etc. One thing that is missing is a hook at the bottom of the center pole in case you wanted to weigh down the tripod. One other bonus is that it fits inside a standard carry on case if I'm flying on a short trip.

Neil.
  6. Re: Best economical tripods

I was using the Manfrotto 055XDB and really never had problems with it; just the weight is a little too much.

I would like to buy lightweight tripod, is anybody using Manfrotto 190XDB or a tripod in a similar price and weight range. How is this tripod compared to the 055XDB?

7. Re: Best economical tripods

My vote for a high quality yet low priced tripod goes to the Induro "A" series. I own the A413, which at 8 pounds is a bit overkill for pano work, but I'm a firm believer in "heavier, steadier, better" I have very heavy lenses, so this tripod is my "use-all" solution.

However, in terms of sheer panoramic work, the A213 or A214 would be perfect as a pano tripod. It has everything you need - precision machined alloys, built in bubble level, weighs about 5 pounds, and holds approximately 17 pounds. That should cover about any lens and fanotec equipment you could load on there. They're found regularly on www.adorama.com and www.keh.com for about $120 to $140 dollars. Recommended for a budget!

http://www.indurogear.com/products_details_A213.html
    http://www.adorama.com/INDA213.html?...fo=induro+a213
  8. Re: Best economical tripods

I found an old Manfrotto 3405 like new on eBay. If you replace the center column with the non-removable head with a center column from a 3021n, you get a sturdy tripod that weighs less than 3 lbs. and fits in a day pack. Probably not good for full frame cameras with long lenses but for compacts and small dslrs it would be a good choice.

Cheap! You can find them for less than a $100 and the center column costs about $25 if you look around.
  9. Re: Best economical tripods

I just purchased an INDURO A414 that I really like. It was originally a decision because of my low budget. But at least I can not think of something better. It is stable, heavy the height is great, the accessories are superb and the price was for me at ebay just $129

http://cgi.ebay.com/Induro-Tripod-Le...3286.m20.l1116

I received this from the specified vendor within 3 days.

If you like a lighter model - they have different items. But I really wanted a heavy one...

Regards
    Kai
  10. Re: Best economical tripods

Users Country Flag

Hi Bill,

I use an Induro CX214.

It's a good compromise between cost, weight and volume (I am always looking at optimizing my luggage allowance on international flights!)

The site Rosauro Photography has dome good insight for that particular tripod:
    http://www.rosaurophotography.com/html/equipment1.html

Cheers!
  11. Re: Best economical tripods

I have been looking at this one.
    http://www.foto-walser.biz/shop/Arti...ugelkoepfe.htm

It looks like a good budged tripod for €200.- you can not go wrong. Only downside it is heavy.. but also a plus because it is sturdy,
  12. Re: Best economical tripods

I've been wanting to know about these myself. I looked quite awhile, before i got into Panos and purchaseda Velbon 530, which I found to be excellent.however there's one thing here that has not been addressed, and thats the tripod thread size. Mine happens to be 1/4, which isn't very useful. I know you can get adapters, but mine keep jamming on the tripod or on the NN3.
    Right now my center column has 1/4 threads on each end, so I unscrew my panhead and then unscrew the opposite end and flip my center column around 180 degrees and screw the threaded part back in which already has a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter in it.
    So right now I'm searching for a tripod too and have been looking at the Giottos MT-7251.Anyone have any advice on this one? It runs about $200 at B+H.
  13. Re: Best economical tripods

Users Country Flag

Hello Bsmooth,

The Induro CX214 solved your issue by providing a Reversible Tripod Head Mounting Screw that has both threads: one end is 1/4", the other end is 1/8". This special screw mounts in the center column, and a provided nut allows you to adjust the height of the tip of that screw. The Tripod comes with a little pouch that has the wrench for you to swap between 1/4" 1/8" threads.

http://www.indurogear.com/products/details.asp?ID=417
    look at the column of icons to the right, 4th down.

I hope this addresses your concern.

Cheers!

I have a sirui n1004, and a sirui G10 ballhead, its nice too have ;)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...um_Tripod.html
    Users Country Flag

I use Manfrotto 055MF4 which I find to be sturdy and solid. As important, to me, is the self-leveling center column. I seldom need to adjust leg length; I first level with the center column then fine tune with the leveler