Drift not a problem...

Thread: Drift not a problem...

Share/Bookmark
  1. Drift not a problem...

Bill,

This is the image I was concerned about when I mentioned "drift" after leveling the NN5L. It appeared to me to be "significant." But, from what I can see I did not have to be concerned. So the question is how much drift can the NN5L tolerate?

This image is comprised of 78 photos - 13 images with 3 exposures per position in two rows. It was stitched and exposure fused in PTGui.

Richard

2. Re: Drift not a problem...

Hi Richard - nice mosaic - wow 78 images.
    Ah the big question - how much is enough? This will primarily depend on the end user results which are dependent on ones own work flow through to post production. These units are all very carefully assembled and I wouldn't be truthful if I didn't say that occasionally a defective unit will slip by. We have only had 2 NN5L's come back due to "excessive" drift. So that said I would say the if the bubble touches the inside black ring that would be acceptable. If the bubble drifts outside the inner black ring then we may treading marginal ground. So the cal is yours.
    If you would like to send the unit I'll inspect it and we'll go from there. Touch bases with through email - bill[at]nodalninja[dot]com.
    We'll work hard to get you up to speed and offer next day Express turnaround service.
  3. Re: Drift not a problem...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Bill,

This is the image I was concerned about when I mentioned "drift" after leveling the NN5L. It appeared to me to be "significant." But, from what I can see I did not have to be concerned. So the question is how much drift can the NN5L tolerate?

This image is comprised of 78 photos - 13 images with 3 exposures per position in two rows. It was stitched and exposure fused in PTGui.

Richard
    Drift in itself is not a problem...
    Drift can be an indication of two things. One) you have not levelled it properly .. or Two) the bubble is poor or not set properly in manufacture. This can well be a fault with the bubble manufacturer not NN.

However You will note that the bubble always returns to its original position after turning 360 degrees.
    This is because the surface it is rotating on is "Exactly" flat.
    That being so The entire NN3/5 Is also rotating exactly in a single plane... this will always provide images capable of a perfect stitch.
    If the bubble were badly out, the horizon would be true but slanted , this is no problem at all for 360/180 work, and is easily corrected in other pans.

I would say that if the bubble stays with in the black circle simply forget it. as the error is insignificant, If it is greater than that take Bill up on his offer.

I keep a very accurate level and levelling device at home and check every thing with "bubbles" when I get them. I have yet to find a commercial bubble that is "spot on".
    For all practical purposes it simply does not matter.
  4. Re: Drift not a problem...

Bill & Terry,

I don't remember exactly how far off it was, but looking at it after the 40th or 50th image made me nervous at the time. Thanks for the information. I'll experiment with it and see how it works.

I appreciate and will take you up on your offer Bill if there's a problem. It's in line with your fine tech support and CS.

Thanks.

Richard
  5. Re: Drift not a problem...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Bill & Terry,

I don't remember exactly how far off it was, but looking at it after the 40th or 50th image made me nervous at the time. Thanks for the information. I'll experiment with it and see how it works.

I appreciate and will take you up on your offer Bill if there's a problem. It's in line with your fine tech support and CS.

Thanks.

Richard
    Richard
    Even if it does seem to be out you can still get it very level.
    Point yor camera at the subject and get the bubble as level as you can.
    face the camera 90degrees left note ware the bubble is
    Turn it to 90 degrees right note where the bubble is.
    imagine where the bubble should be to be half way between the left and right bubble places.
    Centre the bubble at that point. It should now have set the plane of rotation very accurately.
    Of course the bubble would have to be far out to bother to do all that ... but it can be done.
  6. Re: Drift not a problem...

Terry,

That sounds like a solid technique. I get a little obsessive about that little bubble sometimes and feel like the time I'm taking adjusting the tripod legs takes longer than getting the images. :'( I don't like doing things twice however.

Thanks

Richard