NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

Thread: NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

Share/Bookmark
  1. NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

Hi All,

I would like to do high definition pictures using my TAMRON 17-50 f/2.8 mounted on my Canon 400D but I get crazy searching for nodal point.
    Is anybody using this configuration with a NN3 ? Can you share your setup ?

Thanks

PEP
  2. Re: NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

Your setup isnt too heavy for your NN3? I have a Pentax K20D and have found I can only use it well with my small prime lens.
  3. Re: NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

It is a factor than 400D+17-50mm combination weight only 100g more than the Pentax K20D body alone.

David, which are the lens you feel NN3 can't support with your Pentax?

Mauro Contrafatto
    Customer Service Manager
    cs@nodalninja.com
  4. Re: NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

Quote Originally Posted by Mauro Contrafatto View Post
    It is a factor than 400D+17-50mm combination weight only 100g more than the Pentax K20D body alone.

David, which are the lens you feel NN3 can't support with your Pentax?
    On the NN3 I attempted to use a Pentax K10D + Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5. I now have a Pentax K20D and it is a whole 7grams heavier than the K10D :-) total weight of the K20D + lens is 1.4kg.
    I see the 400D is 200grams lighter than K20D. Without checking I thought the 400D would be of similar weight. Guess not.
  5. Re: NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pep View Post
    Hi All,

I would like to do high definition pictures using my TAMRON 17-50 f/2.8 mounted on my Canon 400D but I get crazy searching for nodal point.

Thanks

PEP
    I am not sure if the lens is compatible with NN3. Most F2.8 lens at this range is quite big. The NNP may be outside the adjustment range of NN3. You can use a T-adapter to lengthen the adjustment range though.

nick

Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  6. Re: NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    I am not sure if the lens is compatible with NN3. Most F2.8 lens at this range is quite big. The NNP may be outside the adjustment range of NN3. You can use a T-adapter to lengthen the adjustment range though.

nick
    Hi Nick,

Its not a length issue but a weight one. I can definitely mount without the adapter. I do have one but since the camera is not off centre size was not the issue but the weight I have never used it.
  7. Re: NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

I get crazy searching for nodal point.
    You can find the approximate position of the entrance pupil (which is commonly called the nodal point) simply by looking into the front of the lens with your two eyes. To see it, though, you will need to stop the lens down to f/22, say, with the depth of field button and point the eyepiece on the back of the camera towards a bright light like a window. This will illuminate the entrance pupil by light reflected through the reflex system, so you just see a bright spot. As you alter the zoom, the entrance pupil will be seen to move forwards and backwards. In some zoom lenses, the entrance pupil can move right back behind the sensor, making it difficult to position it on the rotation axis to avoid parallax.

John
  8. Re: NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

Users Country Flag

Hi All,

Thanks

PEP
    I use a canon 40D and the canon 17-55 F2.8 Total weight 1.620 Kg + a manfrotto QR and special adapter.
    Your only problem might be to need to fit a Tadapter to be able to set fot the 50mm length.
  9. Re: NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Ninja
    Terry,

Not sure this concerns you? But I would suggest rotating the Manfrotto 323 Quick Release 90¬? either way so that you may swing into the full -90¬? on the horizontal arm. Correctly positioned you will still retain the ability to change batteries.

Aussie Ninja

That is true But as I don't do 360-180's it is not a problem.
    as I leave the mount on the camera all the time, I have something of a loathing for mounting it sideways, as it catches on anything and everything.
    even doing 360'180's it is not necessary to have the camera pointing vertically; in fact it is easier to pick up control points if it is set at an angle.

Another problem with fitting it sideways even when using the rubber mounting piece with the QR; is that it is not possible to move the camera far enough back on the arm to set for the 17mm "Nodal point" I have been into this very thoroughly indeed, and the solution I have come up with is the only one that fits the criteria of this particular combination.
  10. Re: NN3 + 400D + Tamron 17-50

Thanks to all for your help.

I can mount my 400D+sigma 17-50 f/2.8 on my NN3 without adaptator and the weight is not so heavy. Upper part don(t move and I can easily keep the 0, -30¬? or +30¬? without any problems
    To be honest, I've find something that seems to be the nodal point but, I'm note really satisfy. That the reason why I open this thread.

If you want to see the result, it's the one I post with title 'my first pano'

Or that one :

The only thing is, during alignment and optimization, I had hard time with PTGui and I'm quite sure issue come from thsi nodal point.

So far, I'll try to refine my setup and I'll let you know !

PEP