I think there may be an error in the settings for nikon D300 with 18-70 zoom.

Thread: I think there may be an error in the settings for nikon D300 with 18-70 zoom.

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

1. I think there may be an error in the settings for nikon D300 with 18-70 zoom.

sandpiper

Greetings all

I think there may be an error in the settings for d300 with 18-70 zoom.

The distance from the tripod mount to the lens mount on Nikon d70 is 36mm (distance L1 refer- http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database)

The distance from the tripod mount to the lens mount on nikon d300 is 42.6mm (distance L1 refer- http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

a difference of 6.6mm

I have checked these distances and they appear to be correct

this should mean that there is a difference between the D70 and D300 in upper rail distances for the 18-70 lens

however, they are listed as the same settings on the nodal ninja camera settings page

if the d70 figures are correct then I would expect the d300 settings would be plus 6.6mm for each focal length

Perhaps other who have used D70 and 18-70 or D300 and 18-70 would post their settings

the settings i have used (below) for d70 and 18-70 are different from those on the nodal ninja camera settings page.

Nikon d70 and nikon 18-70

focal length upper rail dist nn3
    18mm - 79
    24mm - 75
    35mm - 65
    50mm - 51

I have a nikon D300 now but havent had time to work out new settings for myself

regards
    Phil

2. Re: I think there may be an error in the settings for nikon D300 with 18-70 zoom.

Hi Phil,
    Looking into this a bit more looks like the settings on the wiki page may not be correct.
    I have both the D70 and D300 and when I measure using a ruler the D70 measures 40mm from the center of the tripod mount tripod to the lens base (wiki states 36mm). My D300 measures 44mm (wiki states 42.4mm).
    I didn't use a micrometer so the +/- error shouldn't be more than .5mm.
    Summary:
    Wiki shows the difference of the two cameras to be 6.4mm.
    Dpreview shows the difference of the two camera widths to be 4mm.
    I show the difference of the two camera widths to be 4mm (+/- .5mm)

So our database is incorrect. I've made the changes to reflect the new settings adding 4mm to those from the D70 on the upper rail.
    If this doesn't work let me know - this database is always a work in progress.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

Bill
  3. Re: I think there may be an error in the settings for nikon D300 with 18-70 zoom.

This just proves we are dealing with a great company and great people !!!!!

It is so nice to see the research and testing of the products from the users really gets implemented !

How many times do other companies let user input fall on deaf ears.

Carl