My NN chimera

Welcome to Nodal Ninja Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: My NN chimera

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

  1. My NN chimera

    #1

    Consists from Manfrotto 300N rotator (sorry, Nick ), lower rail from NN3 (light and compact) and vertical assembly from NN5.

    The greatest advantage of using Manfrotto 300N (the only piece o panor amic equipment produced by Manfrotto worth to have) is flexibility - I can shoot with Nikkor or Sigma without disassembling rotator and switching from 4 to 6 around on the fly. Also food for shooting semi-pole panos with te monopot mounted on the tripod (on te 300N again).

    Who can share their modifications?

    Andrey
  2. Re: My NN chimera

    #2

    Hi Andrey

    I don't own an NN - I've seen Pablo's NN3 and I like it.

    Last year, Agnos sponsored the hugin/panotools team on Google's Summer of Code. They sent each and every mentor, and each and every successful student, an MrotatorU from a pre-production series.

    <shameless plug count="1">
    We're back in business with Google this year too. We should know how many projects we have early next week.
    </shameless plug>

    The neat thing about the rotator is that it has click-stops at every 30¬?, making it useful for 4, 6, 12 shots around. I initially intended to upgrade my photo gear this year (I love the new Pentax K20D, with 10-17mm lens) but I ended up buying a 47" LCD TV (FullHD and S-IPS panel) due to be delivered next week and my gadgets budget for the year is gone. I will report on that display on http://panospace.wordpress.com/ when it is setup properly.

    <shameless plug count="2">
    Web based forums actually don't work well for me. - I just posted this to enter the NN Giveway :-)
    </shameless plug>

    wow, two shameless plugs in one post, that was worth it :-)

    Yuv
  3. Re: My NN chimera

    #3

    Quote Originally Posted by 1drey View Post
    Consists from Manfrotto 300N rotator (sorry, Nick ), lower rail from NN3 (light and compact) and vertical assembly from NN5.

    The greatest advantage of using Manfrotto 300N (the only piece o panor amic equipment produced by Manfrotto worth to have) is flexibility - I can shoot with Nikkor or Sigma without disassembling rotator and switching from 4 to 6 around on the fly. Also food for shooting semi-pole panos with te monopot mounted on the tripod (on te 300N again).

    Who can share their modifications?

    Andrey
    Hey Andrey,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Nick is in the works on something but I will leave him to better explain.
    Thanks
    Bill
  4. Re: My NN chimera

    #4
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,386

    Quote Originally Posted by 1drey View Post
    Consists from Manfrotto 300N rotator (sorry, Nick ), lower rail from NN3 (light and compact) and vertical assembly from NN5.

    The greatest advantage of using Manfrotto 300N (the only piece o panor amic equipment produced by Manfrotto worth to have) is flexibility - I can shoot with Nikkor or Sigma without disassembling rotator and switching from 4 to 6 around on the fly. Also food for shooting semi-pole panos with te monopot mounted on the tripod (on te 300N again).

    Who can share their modifications?

    Andrey
    Hi Andrey,
    you know what? we will have something better than the 300N! lighter and more precise. We will show early samples soon. BTW, we will have short lower rail for NN5 too.
    Bill,
    Hmm, we can add the early versions into the giveaway prize too. what do you think?


    nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  5. Re: My NN chimera

    #5

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    Bill,
    Hmm, we can add the early versions into the giveaway prize too. what do you think?
    nick
    We could have an alternate giveaway or contest. Whatever we come up with we'll mention it here first.
    So forum members - stay tuned - you never know what we might do
    Watch that little news box in upper right corner.
    Bill
  6. Re: My NN chimera

    #6
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts: 27

    Hi there,

    I have been trying to put some bearings onto the rotator to improve the rigidity without gaining significant weight as I just love the compact size of NN3. I have found a good combination but will wait and see Nick's new rotator as my solution will involve some drilling .
  7. Re: My NN chimera

    #7

    Quote Originally Posted by psJIM View Post
    ...my solution will involve some drilling .
    drilling?
    The new rotator on the MKII uses a new click ball system which replaces the detent pin. This, with improved tension knob, allows for a more positive feel with increased precision and longer wear. If you do decide to modify your NN3 please realize this may void your warranty.
    Bill
  8. Re: My NN chimera

    #8
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Saddleworth UK
    Posts: 242

    Quote Originally Posted by psJIM View Post
    Hi there,

    I have been trying to put some bearings onto the rotator to improve the rigidity without gaining significant weight as I just love the compact size of NN3. I have found a good combination but will wait and see Nick's new rotator as my solution will involve some drilling .
    The NN3ll already has a top bearing; the only friction surface is between the detent disk and the base. this become lightly charged with a small quantity of .
    brass dust almost instantly, as it is run in. This acts as a fine lubricant, you would be surprised how much pressure you have then to apply to the adjuster knob to lock it solid.
    even with a firm pressure it is still easy to swing.
    Compared to the earlier NN3 there is no play or vibration at all. The new ball indent system is also more positive as the ball is free to rotate out of the indents rather than be dragged, resulting in far less wear.
  9. Re: My NN chimera

    #9
    bigwade's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts: 67

    Quote Originally Posted by 1drey View Post
    Consists from Manfrotto 300N rotator (sorry, Nick ), lower rail from NN3 (light and compact) and vertical assembly from NN5.
    Hey Andrey, you made the NN4, just what I was asking for........ :-))
    NN5 rail is way to long for non batterypack camera's.

    Shave a NN5 underrail and mount a upper NN3 is another option and almost the same :-))
    Have both but I like my NN3 (weight and size ) on every rotator.....
    (Seitz, Feisol etc. )
    grtz
    Frank






  10. Re: My NN chimera

    #10

    Shave a NN5 underrail

    No way! I dream about the day when D3 will become affordable!

    I am eager to see the new rotators designed by Nick - 300N is a bit heavy and bulky.

    And Acratech-style levelers, please!
  11. Re: My NN chimera

    #11

    Quote Originally Posted by 1drey View Post
    And Acratech-style levelers, please!
    Hey Andrey,

    I've been testing and distributing Acratech levelers, and I would say that they are a little difficult to set up correctly when they are under an heavy camera and lens combinations.
    Ez-Levelers are firmer and the correct setting can be do with only one hand.

    Furthermore, I believe Acratech levelers are patent pending

    Mauro



    Mauro Contrafatto
    Customer Service Manager
    cs@nodalninja.com
  12. Re: My NN chimera

    #12
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,386

    Quote Originally Posted by Mauro Contrafatto View Post
    Hey Andrey,

    I've been testing and distributing Acratech levelers, and I would say that they are a little difficult to set up correctly when they are under an heavy camera and lens combinations.
    Ez-Levelers are firmer and the correct setting can be do with only one hand.

    Furthermore, I believe Acratech levelers are patent pending

    Mauro
    there is a big difference between thrumb-wheel leveler and the Acratech's leveler, Manfrotto's, Gitzo's leveling center column. The thrumb-wheel leveler adjust the leveling under the loading of the setup on top. the others do not. upper loading there can be some drift.
    The EZ-Leveler has a weight limit of 3kg and this is what we need to improve. We have more advanced and costly design in the optional roatator with built-in leveling base. The weight limit for the improved design is 10kg.


    nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
  13. Re: My NN chimera

    #13
    Users Country Flag Macro's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: South Korea
    Posts: 75

    Quote Originally Posted by nick fan View Post
    there is a big difference between thrumb-wheel leveler and the Acratech's leveler, Manfrotto's, Gitzo's leveling center column. The thrumb-wheel leveler adjust the leveling under the loading of the setup on top. the others do not. upper loading there can be some drift.
    The EZ-Leveler has a weight limit of 3kg and this is what we need to improve. We have more advanced and costly design in the optional roatator with built-in leveling base. The weight limit for the improved design is 10kg.

    nick
    Hi Nick,
    I considered the EZ-Leveler, but the 3Kg limit seems marginal. Is 3Kg the *breaking* point? Or have you tested with higher loads?

    The 10Kg limit for the optional rotator with built-in leveling base sounds better. Will the optional rotator replace the normal NN3/NN5 rotator? Or mount separately under the head? Will it will be much heavier?

    David
  14. Re: My NN chimera

    #14
    Users Country Flag
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Hong Kong
    Posts: 2,386

    Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    Hi Nick,
    I considered the EZ-Leveler, but the 3Kg limit seems marginal. Is 3Kg the *breaking* point? Or have you tested with higher loads?

    The 10Kg limit for the optional rotator with built-in leveling base sounds better. Will the optional rotator replace the normal NN3/NN5 rotator? Or mount separately under the head? Will it will be much heavier?

    David
    over 3kg, there is vibration and instability. so only recommended for NN3 + light gear. It won't break even over 10 kg.
    The advanced rotators replace the default rotators. They are heavier and bulkier. The one with leveling base weight similar to default rotator + EZ-L. We can offer some trade-in options for NN3II and NN5 users. The returned rotators can be used for warranty.


    nick



    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.
+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts