Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1/R10 + Sony A7R + Samyang 12mm 2.8 Fisheye Setup

Hi,

I am looking for a one row Setup with an Ultimate R1/R10 + Sony A7R + Samyang 12mm 2.8 Fisheye. I worked several years with a R1 + Canon 8-15mm with 4 shots at 7.5. It was very fast and the hole in the nadir was ok for me. Is there a similar way with the Samyang 12mm 2.8? Maybe Slant position or at 5/7.5. Is someone using the R1/R10 with the new Samyang?

Greets
    Cosmo

The ring for canon EF mount should work for Sony FE mount. I will know in a few days after customer get the ring.

Nick
    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Comment

The difference between the LR3 and LR11 is the access to focus and aperture rings on the lens, right? Both would fit the Samyang 12mm 2.8?

Comment

no. we only support Samyang 12mm F2.8 with LR11. The plastic insert is custom made for the lens and the ring.

Nick
        Fanotec

Comment

Thank you! I found a EU-Reseller with one in stock.

Comment

just to confirm the Lens ring for samyang 12mm F2.8 fisheye Canon EF mount indeed works for Sony FE mount as well.

Nick
            Fanotec

Comment

Great! :)

Comment

I bought a used R1 (with Canon 8-15 Ring), and a Samyang 12mm FE for my Sony A7II. Nick wrote that we can use the Canon 8-15 Ring also for an Samyang 12mm FE.
                Well, i have tried to put them together. The Ring fits only around the exposure ring on the lens but thats an insecure mount because the exposure ring turns very easily, so the whole construction has no firm grip.

There exist a "Lens Ring for Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye (Canon EF / Sony A Mount) (F6529-1)". Will that one fit for E-Mount as well?

Comment

Sorry, if I have mislead you. I mean the lens ring for Samyang 12mm F2.8 fisheye EF mount will work with Sony FE mount as well.
                  It is the new ring for Samyang 12mm that works, not the Canon 8-15mm F4.

Nick
                  Fanotec

Comment

Originally posted by nick fan View Post
                    Sorry, if I have mislead you. I mean the lens ring for Samyang 12mm F2.8 fisheye EF mount will work with Sony FE mount as well.
                    It is the new ring for Samyang 12mm that works, not the Canon 8-15mm F4.

Nick
                    I see, thank you.
                    But please tell me which lens ring i have to use for the Sony A7II. Would "Lens Ring for Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye (Canon EF / Sony A Mount) (F6529-1)" match?

Comment

yes, that is it.
                      Lens Ring for Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye (Canon EF / Sony A Mount) (F6529-1)
                      Fanotec

Comment

Is anyone using the 12mm f/2.8 Rokinon/Samyang on full frame? I'm particularly interested in 8 shots around with the lens rolled about 35 degrees, and tilted about 5 degrees up. According to a photographer on FB, this shooting pattern doesn't require a zenith shot. Seems like a nice setup for an R1 or R10.

Comment

Originally posted by mr joe View Post
                          Is anyone using the 12mm f/2.8 Rokinon/Samyang on full frame? I'm particularly interested in 8 shots around with the lens rolled about 35 degrees, and tilted about 5 degrees up. According to a photographer on FB, this shooting pattern doesn't require a zenith shot. Seems like a nice setup for an R1 or R10.
                          Yes, Thomas Bredenfeld use this setup. Not sure if he takes 6 around or 8. You can check out his FB here.
                          https://www.facebook.com/thomas.bredenfeld?fref=ts
                          Fanotec

Comment

Thanks, Nick. I talked to Thomas on Facebook. Still dialing in the settings, but it seems like this setup is going to work well.

Comment

I did some testing with the NN R1 and Rokinon (Samyang) 12mm fisheye in the slanted position.
                              I lined up the lens in the lens ring by viewing a wall with a lot of vertical lines in live view. Then I checked the tilt of the lens in the ring using the built-in angle finder on the iPhone (in the Compass tool).
                              The tilt is set at 33.

A shooting pattern of 6 around at 5 up works really well. No zenith shot needed.
                              If the R1 had a 2.5*tilt setting, I might try that for a slightly smaller nadir (R1 options are 0 or 5). Shooting at 0 leaves a small hole in the zenith.
                              I'm particularly excited about not having to shoot a zenith shot because I like to shoot long exposures. Sometimes the clouds move too much between exposures to have a zenith shot line up correctly.

You can also shoot 8 around if you want more overlap (crowd shots, etc.). This might also be useful for pole shooting.
                              I haven't tried this yet, but perhaps -2.5*down would be a good place to start.

Thomas let me know that the nodal point on this lens is 100mm from the sensor plane (often marked on the camera body). This gave me a good starting point to place the lens for calibration.
                              Next I used the grid method to line up my shots and got a NN R1 rail setting of 23.
                              After deleting the worst control points in PTGUI, I got a max control point distance of 0.74 - very good! :)

You definitely need a nadir shot to cover the ninja star shaped hole. Or maybe I'll just leave the star and call it art?
                              Taking the nadir is easy enough. I'm mounting my R1 on top of a ballhead. I just flip the ballhead to the horizontal position, raise the center column of the tripod, and shoot the nadir.
                              Even though the camera is rolled in the ring, the coverage is fine. The nadir stitches in using viewpoint correction in PTGUI - no problem.

I hope this info is helpful if you're considering this combo. The Rokinon/Samyang 12mm fisheye is really sharp from edge to edge!

Comment

Working...
                              X