Dew Heater Incorporated Into an R Series Ring Mount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dew Heater Incorporated Into an R Series Ring Mount

Astronomers and photographers know that on some nights their optics are covered by a layer of dew, as moisture condenses out of the cooling air. When I started using my Nodal Ninja R series ring mount at night with a Nikon 16mm f/2.8 full frame fisheye I improvised a dew heater by wrapping a silicone heater strip around the front of the lens with a hose clamp. It was unwieldy and not easy to set up.

It occurred to me that the dew heater could be integrated into the R series clamp. I chose a 200mm x 10mm 12 volt 5 watt silicone rubber heater strip from eBay:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	28849

Next came measurements of the Nodal Ninja adapter ring and copious amounts of electrical tape wrapped selectively around the lens. The heater strip was wrapped around the lens near the front and the measurements were used to bring the no parallax point back to the original position. The power leads from the heater strip were placed such that they fit in the split in the R series ring clamp:

Name:	IMG_1378.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	28852

The completed assembly was inserted into the R series ring mount and RCA phono power plug added:

Name:	IMG_1380.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	28846

The power cable and plug are stored around the lens mount when not needed and connected to a dew heater controller as required. A recent night panorama is attached:

https://www.360cities.net/image/pro/...after-midnight

Have fun with this project,
    John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by aviator; 09-18-2017, 10:22 AM.

Thanks for the share of this very nice trick
    Retired Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com

Comment

wow, interesting. Thx for sharing.
      Fanotec
      We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Working...
      X