Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sigma 8mm lens ring with Ultimate R1 focus ring movable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sigma 8mm lens ring with Ultimate R1 focus ring movable?

    With the lens ring attached, is the focus ring on the lens movable? say, i want to manual focus
    http://360.itcow.com

  • #2
    Yes. The focus ring does move freely. If you want to lock it down, you need to use tape of some sort to build up the thikness of the focus ring. I leave mine open since I use the lens for pictures other than panoramas.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DennisS View Post
      Yes. The focus ring does move freely. If you want to lock it down, you need to use tape of some sort to build up the thikness of the focus ring. I leave mine open since I use the lens for pictures other than panoramas.
      Thanks Dennis. Ordered one!
      http://360.itcow.com

      Comment


      • #4
        R1 comes with various ring types - using the new Canon 8 -15 fisheye which ring clamp are you using ? Does new canon fisheye fit the Sigma 8mm Fisheye ring ?
        Last edited by 360texas; 08-10-2011, 07:29 AM.
        Dave still at 360texas.com
        Forum Moderator Pano2VR

        Comment


        • #5
          I do not think so, cause the canon lens has two outstanding knobs on the lens plus each ring is specially made for a type of lens. Fixing to parts of it's body wheere it may be fixed to which is not moving or causing damage.

          As often mentioned, Nick will make one as soon as he has the lens in his hands.

          Heinz

          Comment


          • #6
            switching from auto focus to manual will mean having to loosen then tightening the rings. it's kinda cumbersome or am i doing it wrong?
            http://360.itcow.com

            Comment


            • #7
              I you like to switch you have to find the point while tightening the lens ring where the lens itself is fixed, but focus ring is moveable. Mine is fixed when I can still move the focus ring manually. This does not work with autofocus. When I want to use autofocus, the lens ring turns on the lens as well.

              Normally we use a fixed focus and tape the lens as well so that the focus ring does not move. Mine does not work in a set up that the lens ring is fixed to the lens and the autofocus does work. Autofocus only works when the lens ring is loose as well.

              It's Sigma 8mm/f3.5 for Nikon.

              Regards,
              Heinz

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hindenhaag View Post
                I you like to switch you have to find the point while tightening the lens ring where the lens itself is fixed, but focus ring is moveable. Mine is fixed when I can still move the focus ring manually. This does not work with autofocus. When I want to use autofocus, the lens ring turns on the lens as well.

                Normally we use a fixed focus and tape the lens as well so that the focus ring does not move. Mine does not work in a set up that the lens ring is fixed to the lens and the autofocus does work. Autofocus only works when the lens ring is loose as well.

                It's Sigma 8mm/f3.5 for Nikon.

                Regards,
                Heinz
                dont really get you. i'm using sigma 8mm, f/3.5 for Canon. From the pictures i can find, it seems that the nodal ninja ring is not suppose to go over the focusing ring of the lens.
                http://360.itcow.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/R1_QRG.pdf

                  Have a look to the manual further down, you find Sigma8. The last part of the inner ring is covering a part of the focus ring.

                  Heinz

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The pros will advise you to use MF all the time. Set F-number to F8. Use live view to test the best focus distance from 0.5-1m on the scale. tape it or mark a line on the lens barrel that is not hidden by the lens ring. Only if your are making close up panos or using larger F-number do you need to change the focus distance. In any case, MF is preferred.

                    nick
                    Fanotec
                    We listen. We try harder.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nick fan View Post
                      The pros will advise you to use MF all the time. Set F-number to F8. Use live view to test the best focus distance from 0.5-1m on the scale. tape it or mark a line on the lens barrel that is not hidden by the lens ring. Only if your are making close up panos or using larger F-number do you need to change the focus distance. In any case, MF is preferred.

                      nick
                      i see. Would prefer to be able to switch to AF or MF whenever needed but maybe that's another product line like the NN180...

                      Anyway, thanks!
                      http://360.itcow.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The only thing I can imagine: you have to grind out the inner front part of the inner lens ring which comes on top of focus ring. You can not cut off the whole part because you will loose the reference point for the outer ring.

                        That way you would get the focus ring free to autofocus as well.

                        Heinz

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have the Sigma 8mm f3.5 lens and the correct lens ring clamp for Nikon. Even though the picture shows the ring extending out onto the focus ring, mine does auto focus just fine. The ring does NOT clamp down onto the focus ring. Canon may be different. The only mod I made was to machine a window into the ring clamp so I could see the focus scale.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by etegration View Post
                            i see. Would prefer to be able to switch to AF or MF whenever needed but maybe that's another product line like the NN180...

                            Anyway, thanks!
                            i also notice at least for me with the sigma 8mm and 5DMK2, with the lens ring attached, removing the lens from the camera body is quite hard. it leaves a very small clearence for your thumb to go in to press the lens release button on the camera body.

                            To sum it up:

                            1. Can the ring be made "thinner" without loosing grip to the lens in turn the camera body then to the R10?
                            2. I prefer to leave the ring on the lens all the time. Removing it, reattaching it only seem to be subjected to wear and tear.
                            3. Hope to be able to see where i am lining up my shots. Pro or not, i dont really care. I know what i need and at my last paid shoot for a hotel chain. I reverted to my nodal ninja 3. I just need to know what distance i am focusing at. At f/10, i want to know and i want to know all the time.

                            i hate to bring up names but other brands seem to be able to have a smaller/ thinner ring. At the expense of sturdiness? or over the weight of the camera used (no full body cams like the 1D series)?
                            http://360.itcow.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by etegration View Post
                              i also notice at least for me with the sigma 8mm and 5DMK2, with the lens ring attached, removing the lens from the camera body is quite hard. it leaves a very small clearence for your thumb to go in to press the lens release button on the camera body.

                              To sum it up:

                              1. Can the ring be made "thinner" without loosing grip to the lens in turn the camera body then to the R10?
                              2. I prefer to leave the ring on the lens all the time. Removing it, reattaching it only seem to be subjected to wear and tear.
                              3. Hope to be able to see where i am lining up my shots. Pro or not, i dont really care. I know what i need and at my last paid shoot for a hotel chain. I reverted to my nodal ninja 3. I just need to know what distance i am focusing at. At f/10, i want to know and i want to know all the time.

                              i hate to bring up names but other brands seem to be able to have a smaller/ thinner ring. At the expense of sturdiness? or over the weight of the camera used (no full body cams like the 1D series)?
                              Lens ring for Sigma 8mm for Canon should have plenty of clearance from the camera. Check if you ring is installed at the proper anchor point.
                              http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/R1_QRG.pdf

                              You can mark the focus distances on other area of the lens, not covered by the lens .


                              Fanotec lens ring clamps are built with special attention to the safety of lens.

                              Features and Highlights

                              Plastic insert is placed between the outer metal ring and the lens. It is contoured to fit the lens and hence increase area of contact.
                              Large clamping area to reduce stress on the lens barrel, reducing the risk of damaging the lens.
                              Mounted close to the camera to reduce stress on the lens due to gravity of camera body
                              Rolling the camera/lens in any position including the popular 0, 60 and 90 degree positions
                              Index marks for every 90 degrees in the front and every 30 degrees at the back for easy alignment of roll of lens.
                              Permanently mounted to lens, making reproducible mounting possible, and much quicker to setup.
                              Compact and light weight

                              note: improper use of lens ring clamp may cause stress and damage to the lens. Manufacturer is not responsible for damage to the lens due to use of lens ring mount.
                              Last edited by nick fan; 10-28-2011, 11:44 PM.
                              Fanotec
                              We listen. We try harder.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X