Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual Tour Setup for Fuji and M2 - What else do I need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Tour Setup for Fuji and M2 - What else do I need?

I've got an Ultimate M2 setup, with the EZ Leveler and the RD8-II rotator. I've used it primarily for panoramic shots for the past 3 years, initially with a Canon 5D3 setup and now Fuji X (XPro 2, soon to be XT2 as well).

I'd like to also play around with some virtual tour type shots, but I'm curious as to what else I need, if anything?

I have the Rokinon 8mm fisheye lens for the Fuji X mount. I see that Nodal Ninja makes a special adapter which allows the M4/3 Samyang version of this lens to be mounted to the Fuji. It's unclear to me if this is needed, or can i just use my M2 with my existing Rokinon lens? What's the advantage of the Nodal Ninja conversion tool product? Does it change the field of view to be more linearly corrected?

My other question is around shooting the nadir, particularly using a fish eye. How do folks shoot these without the tripod getting in the shot?

Originally posted by Ryan0751 View Post
    I've got an Ultimate M2 setup, with the EZ Leveler and the RD8-II rotator. I've used it primarily for panoramic shots for the past 3 years, initially with a Canon 5D3 setup and now Fuji X (XPro 2, soon to be XT2 as well).

I'd like to also play around with some virtual tour type shots, but I'm curious as to what else I need, if anything?

I have the Rokinon 8mm fisheye lens for the Fuji X mount. I see that Nodal Ninja makes a special adapter which allows the M4/3 Samyang version of this lens to be mounted to the Fuji. It's unclear to me if this is needed, or can i just use my M2 with my existing Rokinon lens? What's the advantage of the Nodal Ninja conversion tool product? Does it change the field of view to be more linearly corrected?

My other question is around shooting the nadir, particularly using a fisheye. How do folks shoot these without the tripod getting in the shot?
    You can use any lens for VR tours. But the smaller number of shots per spherical pano pano (scene), the faster you can finish a tour. Fisheye lens requiring 4 shots around + nadir shot has been the sweet spot for quality and speed. The Samyang 7.5mm on 1.5x sensor will allow you to complete a spherical pano with 4 shots around + nadir. Samyang 8mm will needs 6 shots + nadir.
    M2 with RD8II is mainly for using heavy tele lenses. Footprint of RD8II is pretty big. Consider getting an RD16II for using fisheye lens. For fisheye lens on a compact cameras like Fuji X, you can use a much smaller head like NN3II. R20 and Samyang 7.5mm converted is the smallest rig you can get for Fuji X.

Nick
    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Thanks Nick.

I actually also do have the RD16II rotator, I mounted this weekend as of course, it allows higher settings for rotation. The whole M2 setup is definitely quite big.

From what I understand, the Rokinon 8mm is equivalent to the Samyang 8mm. What's the advantage to using the Samyang 7.5 MFT lens converted to Fuji X using the ring adapter? As you said, it requires less shots... is there anything other advantages to using the converter over the Fuji X native lens I already own?

One other question... I'm using auto pano giga today (and will be using panotour for creating the tours), does it correct the fisheye distortion to make the whole image seem more rectilinear?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Yes, Rokinon 8mm is equivalent to the Samyang 8mm. Advantage of using the Samyang 7.5 MFT lens converted to Fuji X is less shots required and making it suitable for Single row spherical pano.

Nick
        Fanotec
        We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan0751 View Post
          One other question... I'm using auto pano giga today (and will be using panotour for creating the tours), does it correct the fisheye distortion to make the whole image seem more rectilinear?
          No. The stitchers generally use a spherical workspace and aim to remap the fisheye images onto the spherical surface such that the panorama image as viewed from the centre looks exactly like the view you would see with your eye positioned at the original camera position. The whole panorama view is represented in the conventional 360x180 equirectangular format. From this image, it's possible to extract a variety of partial views (ie less than 360x180) such as a rectilinear view similar that captured by a camera with a standard lens, which would be limited to around 100x100 degrees before obvious distortion creeps in at the edges.

John

Comment

Working...
          X