No announcement yet.

New member here asking about workflow using an M2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member here asking about workflow using an M2

I had an early version of a basic Nodal Ninja years ago (2010?) but sold it. I've been shooting basic 360 panos using a Sigma 4.5mm circular fisheye, D7200 on a home made pano head that works fine for single row, four station panos. That's all about to change.

I have a good client now wanting us to submit large gigapanos. His specs are: D800/20mm prime/seven columns of two rows, shot -40 degrees and +30 degrees. And one straight up which confuses me as to how to add that to a "Align to grid" setup in PT Gui but that's a question for the PT Gui forum.

He suggests getting a motorized head "to make things go easier and smoother" but it looks more complicated to me, for what I'll be shooting.

I envision getting an M2 and just doing this manually. After a few it would seem just to be muscle memory: set the rotating base to 6 or 8 station click-stops, manually shoot low then high at each stop, around 360 degrees. Then I guess rotate my camera straight up for one shot. What am I missing?

I know I will have to eyeball the upper rotator to the degrees I want as I don't think it has any click-stops (if that's the term) which again would seem to be just practice. I know I'll have to get an adapter to be able to mount my D800 to the upper rail. Again, what am I missing or forgetting?

The goal is to get this down to a few minutes or less per location daytime shooting. Set up and level tripod, camera already mounted on upper rail, set lower rotator to 0 and just get 'er done. Easy, right? Or not?

OK, should I be posting these questions in another forum here?