Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens ring not secure/RS-1 to short

Hello Nick and all,

I bought the Samyang 12mm, which is great, but I have two rather big problems

1/ the Lens ring does not stay securely on the lens, ie, even if I tighten it as hard as I can by finger, it still moves obliquely, ie so that the ring is not square with the lens. The plastic band that is between the ring and the lens seems very slippery and that part of the lens, not grippy at all.

2/ The lens ring, when pressed right up against the aperture ring, will make it very hard to turn the aperture. This seems necessary to make sure the ring is 100% square with the lens

3/ The samyang 12mm is quite long, and though the Sony A7Rii is smaller than the Panasonic GH4, the camera cannot be rotated 360 (pitch) on the pano head. The finger grip on the right of the camera body hits the bracket, so you have to rotate the other way, which is really inconvenient and clumsy, especially when you are shooting on a mini tripod in a car!

So I am wondering if I should get a refund for this, and get the NN3 instead? What do you reckon?

Thanks,
    Mark.

Originally posted by nick fan View Post
    In what lens mount is your Samyang 8mm F3.5? V1 or V2 with removable hood? If you don't have the lens yet, it is better to buy the Samyang 12mm F2.8 fisheye in E-mount.
    NIck

The mounting place is barrel just in front of the aperture ring. The lens ring allows use of 2.5mm hex key to further tighten the clamp if needed.
    NN3 with advanced rotator can be a better fit. You can use Nadir Adapter to extend the vertical headroom.

Nick
    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Hi Nick
      Yes, I have the ring in the right place, but it twists out of position, and if you press it against the aperture ring (the only way to get it properly aligned) then tighten it very tight, it will prevent the aperture ring from rotating.

I am going to return this ring and am buying a used NN5 instead (I have already bought it on Ebay).

Thanks, kind regards,
      Mark.

The mounting place is barrel just in front of the aperture ring. The lens ring allows use of 2.5mm hex key to further tighten the clamp if needed.
      NN3 with advanced rotator can be a better fit. You can use Nadir Adapter to extend the vertical headroom.

Nick

Comment

Hi Mark,

That is strange. The tightening of ring should have no stress on the aperture ring. Is the Arrow pointing away from the camera?
        Anyhow, a used NN5 is also a good choice.
        Nick
        Fanotec
        We listen. We try harder.

Comment

Hi Nick
          There really are two issues, the one being the material used on the inner ring offers a very slippery surface, and that lens does not have a wide flat area to grip onto... so it can be twisted from parallel without noticing. The second is that to try to get the ring firm and parallel, you situate it between aperture and focus rings, press against aperture ring (to make sure it is straight, then tighten. Then the aperture ring will not turn. This happens no matter which way round the inner ring is placed.

Anyhoo, I should get the NN5 any day now, though it is HUGE by comparison, I hope it can work for in-car shots on a mini tripod between the seats!

cheers
          Mark.

Hi Mark,

That is strange. The tightening of ring should have no stress on the aperture ring. Is the Arrow pointing away from the camera?
          Anyhow, a used NN5 is also a good choice.
          Nick

Comment

Working...
          X