Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct setup for small plate on lower rail NN5L?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct setup for small plate on lower rail NN5L?

Hi,

I just wanted to check the correct position of that small plate on the lower rail. In this shot it's positioned at the front

Click image for larger version

Name:	nn5_13.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	28867

but in this shot it's positioned at the back so the measurement used in A would be a lot different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	camera_settings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	28868

Which is correct please?

It's for the Canon 5D MKII with 15mm fisheye

Thanks.

The stop rail plate cam be positionned either in front or in back of the rail attached (depending on space on the rail). Both works equally well ! For measure it's always taken from the point as indicated on measure A (stop rail plate is never included in it ;)

Hope it helps better understand the system !
    Retired Nodal Ninja Distributor
    Blog: http://www.skivr.com

Comment

Hi Vincèn.

Thanks for the info. That means we can't use those preset measurements that are sometimes posted for a particular camera/lens combo as we wouldn't know if the rail plate was positioned at the front or back. Getting it wrong would result in stitching errors..... or have I got it wrong?

I wanted to make sure as I have a work colleague in another country that will be taking the photographs for the first time with the NN5L and another post from a while back had settings of top rail - 104.5 and bottom rail - 66

I should have said it was for a 5D MKII with the Canon 8-15 @ 15mm

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by andrew222 View Post
        That means we can't use those preset measurements that are sometimes posted for a particular camera/lens combo as we wouldn't know if the rail plate was positioned at the front or back. Getting it wrong would result in stitching errors..... or have I got it wrong?
        As Vincent indicated, the position A is always measured from the foot of the vertical rail. The location of the stop plate is completely irrelevant.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Houghton View Post
          As Vincent indicated, the position A is always measured from the foot of the vertical rail. The location of the stop plate is completely irrelevant.
          Exactly, rail stop is just there to keep easy track of a setting and be sure to remount head with exact same settings (depending on position of vertical rail on horizontal rail it might be easier to put stop rail in front or behind but it doesn't change position of vertical rail itself !!).
          Retired Nodal Ninja Distributor
          Blog: http://www.skivr.com

Comment

Ahhhhhh! My brain slowly understands.

Thanks to the both of you. Appreciate the explanations.

Comment

Working...
            X