Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NN3 Rotator upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NN3 Rotator upgrade

    Hi! I found the option of upgrading the rotator head from my NN3 to the one you offer from the NN3II very interesting. I suppose that with it I can keep all my detent rings, which will be usable with the new head. In what way will I notice an improvement changing the head? Is the system of the ball click noticeable better than the old one. If so, I feel the upgrade as a fact, but i need confirmation.
    Thanks, Martin
    BTW, the spell check is usefull, specially for those as myself, english is not our language.

  • #2
    Re: Rotator upgrade

    the clickball is more precise than the detent pin. it provides less drag so I can use a stronger spring inside. that means more positive feel. The tension knob has bearing inside. It provides smoother rotation. you can tighten it a bit more without significantly increasing the drag. Tension can be adjusted more easily too. Did I give you too many reasons for an upgrade?
    Maybe some NN3 users who have recently upgraded the rotator can share their opinions here.

    nick
    Fanotec
    We listen. We try harder.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Rotator upgrade

      I have been using the NN's since the sph2 I am now using the NN3ll
      The difference is amaxing.
      Sharper clicks, easy to adjust, smoother rotation, no vibration. never get slop. Tightens up firmly.
      Better all round. I am a happy old man.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Rotator upgrade

        Hi, thanks. Thats what I wanted to hear / read. I will contact my brother in law in Miami and ask him to order the upgrade, as well as I did before with my NN3. I still have to wait to get it, because just a few days he left and will not be back until a couple of months.
        Regards, Martin

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Rotator upgrade

          Great! Now I really, really, want to upgrade. Perfect! Just when I think I've found pano-nirvana, you have to go and make it better.
          I have NO choice. I'm going to have to upgrade.

          - Dean

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Rotator upgrade

            I just receive it !! That's a GREAT enhancement !!
            Good job Nick, you find the trick that really make our life easy.

            Just one point : the Quick Reference Guide and User Guide need to be updated, they still show old rotator :
            Also, do I need to keep the black washers below the knob, as with the older rotator ?

            Pierre

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Rotator upgrade

              Originally posted by pep View Post
              I just receive it !! That's a GREAT enhancement !!
              Good job Nick, you find the trick that really make our life easy.

              Just one point : the Quick Reference Guide and User Guide need to be updated, they still show old rotator :
              Also, do I need to keep the black washers below the knob, as with the older rotator ?

              Pierre
              Hi Pierre,

              Glad you like it. You don't need to use any washer for the new rotator.

              nick
              Fanotec
              We listen. We try harder.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Rotator upgrade

                Just receive this morning the new rotator ! Nice piece of engineering with a nice looking !! I have done a test immediately and there is not the slightest degree of play in the new rotator ! It is easier to adjust and to use with sharper clicks and never unscrews itself. Well done !! Thanks for this great enhancement !
                Panophoto.org

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Rotator upgrade

                  Hi Nick,

                  Im a bit confused about the upgrade kit.
                  Its clear that the new rotaor is included, but in another thread a conversion to the latest detent rings is described. For my understanding until now upgrading to the ball click also requires the stronger detent ring locks (which can be adopted by cutting M4 thread in the rotator lower arm?) and modified detent rings.

                  Regards, Martin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Rotator upgrade

                    Hi Martin,
                    you can have 2 upgrade options. one is rotator upgrade by just replacing the rotator while keeping the old detent rings. the other is DIY upgrade to NN3II, with new rotator and detent rings. You must do some drilling and tapping in order to do this. The new detent rings are precision CNC machined. They will work better than the old ones.

                    nick
                    Fanotec
                    We listen. We try harder.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Rotator upgrade

                      Originally posted by nick fan View Post
                      you can have 2 upgrade options. one is rotator upgrade by just replacing the rotator while keeping the old detent rings. the other is DIY upgrade to NN3II, with new rotator and detent rings. You must do some drilling and tapping in order to do this. The new detent rings are precision CNC machined. They will work better than the old ones.

                      nick
                      I'm REALLY curious now, Nick. Can you give more details, or schematic for the "Drill & Tap" upgrade process? That would help me to upgrade, and potentially fix some alignment issues in one shot.

                      Thanks,
                      Dean

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Rotator upgrade

                        Dean,
                        i think you just have to replace the two brass pins with the M4 threaded bigger pins. That I think is the whole tap & drill.

                        Nick,
                        does the improved accuracy "just" come from the bigger pins meaning less movement and wear or are the detent plates improved in their design in general (e.g. changed desing of bores)? Im thinking of machining the plates by myself because I have a milling machine with rotary table waiting in my workshop...


                        Regards, Martin

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Rotator upgrade

                          Originally posted by Frate View Post
                          I'm REALLY curious now, Nick. Can you give more details, or schematic for the "Drill & Tap" upgrade process? That would help me to upgrade, and potentially fix some alignment issues in one shot.

                          Thanks,
                          Dean
                          Hi Dean, all of a sudden, I find my English not good enough to describe the upgrade process. :blushing:. I will take some pictures later to illustrate the process. You must have a drill, 3.5mm drill bit, a M4 tap and tap wrench.


                          nick
                          Fanotec
                          We listen. We try harder.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Rotator upgrade

                            Originally posted by emess View Post
                            Dean,
                            i think you just have to replace the two brass pins with the M4 threaded bigger pins. That I think is the whole tap & drill.

                            Nick,
                            does the improved accuracy "just" come from the bigger pins meaning less movement and wear or are the detent plates improved in their design in general (e.g. changed desing of bores)? Im thinking of machining the plates by myself because I have a milling machine with rotary table waiting in my workshop...


                            Regards, Martin
                            The new M4 retention pins are made from plastic. The small elasticity allows more tolerance in its diameter. The old brass pins can be too loose or too tight and caused us lots of problems in manufacturing. The slot (instead of 2 holes) in detent ring means easier removal of detent ring from the pins. the improved accuracy comes from CNC machining of the detent "wells" or holes.

                            nick
                            Fanotec
                            We listen. We try harder.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Rotator upgrade

                              Bill, Nick.... If I were to upgrade to the MKII rotater and detents, will the newer detent rings provide a finer step increment than 15 degrees?
                              Alternatively, can I use the unit (MK1 or MK2) without detents to get finer adjustment?

                              Cheers, Ewie

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X