Live view or visual?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live view or visual?

I'm in the process of calibrating my Nikon D5300/10.5mm to my new NN3 Mk2. I have noticed that the live view and looking through the viewfinder have rather different ideas where the centre rotation point is. Which is the one to use? Update. I've tried using both as the central reference point and the visual was more accurate. My settings for this set-up (with nadir plate) are 45 and 78.
    Last edited by Molls-Phot; 10-13-2016, 05:03 AM.
    www.maritimephotographic.co.uk

I assume this straight down view of the head in different positions should not be broken like it is? Should I adjust the vertical arm?

Comment

Hi Molls-Phot,
      Here is a handy guide to setting up your NN3 with the 10.5 Nikkor lens. www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/NN3-basic-setup.html

Comment

Originally posted by Molls-Phot View Post
        I assume this straight down view of the head in different positions should not be broken like it is? Should I adjust the vertical arm?
        It's better to generate a layered psd file so that the misalignment can be seen more clearly by reducing the opacity of the top layer. If you pan the head around by 180 degrees, you can measure the misalignment directly (using the scale on the bottom rail). The adjustment required for the vertical rail will be half of the measured distance. See attached image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nad-cali.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	28475

Comment

John, thanks for the advice.

Comment

I have taken some heat for saying this, but you can get carried away worrying about the down shot rotation position. Yes, I too have noticed that the Live View doesn't seem to give the right spot. The result is a saw tooth pattern of the rotator head. See here: https://flic.kr/p/N1jE5A I just gave up and decided that I was going to either like it (who looks at the Nadir anyway?) or go through the trouble of adding a mirror ball. See here: https://flic.kr/p/N4Xgbs If you look at some of the photo spheres on Google Street View you will see extreme parallax problems and stitching errors. You are already way ahead of them.

Your photo shows a very close accuracy for the rotation position. I think you just about nailed it. The broken parts of the head showing up seems to be a masking issue, a different problem. If you are using PTGui to stitch it is very easy to mask some of the head to avoid this problem.
            Last edited by rjrose; 10-18-2016, 11:53 PM.
            Robert Rose
            Barking Deer Photography
            www.barkingdeerphotography.com
            www.robertrose.photos
            www.rosepatents.com

Comment

Found out something about Live View that may be of interest. This is on a D810, but the menu and results for all Nikon Live View cameras should be similar. Turns out that the red rectangle that indicates the AF position is probably NOT at the center of the sensor if you are eyeballing it. So, if you use Live View to set the center of the camera you may be way off. To work around this, you need to adjust custom setting f2. See the attached photos. Navigate to the f controls settings, then multi selector center button, then Live View. Make sure it is set to RESET so that pressing the center button while in Live View will return the red AF indicator rectangle to the center of the sensor. Then Live View should give you an accurate guide to centering the camera.
              Robert Rose
              Barking Deer Photography
              www.barkingdeerphotography.com
              www.robertrose.photos
              www.rosepatents.com

Comment

Thanks RJ, that's interesting about the Nikon live view.

Comment

Working...
                X