Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

    I am a newbie at panos. I just received my NinjaNodal 3MII.

    How do I calculated the number of stops I want in order to choose the correct detent ring.

    For example: If I want to shoot a 360 degree panorama using a Canon 40D with a Canon EFS 17-55mm IS USM lens set at 17mm. The 40D has a 1.6 crop factor.

    1. How do I find the angle of view for this lens?

    If I divide 360 by that angel I will get the number of exposures for a full cylinder without any overlap.

    2. How do I calculate the number of exposures for 40% overlap?
    3. Would I multiply 360 by 1.4 and then divide by the angle of view?

    4. How would calculate the number of exposures for 50% overlap.

  • #2
    Re: How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

    Originally posted by Marc4UCB View Post
    I am a newbie at panos. I just received my NinjaNodal 3MII.

    How do I calculated the number of stops I want in order to choose the correct detent ring.

    For example: If I want to shoot a 360 degree panorama using a Canon 40D with a Canon EFS 17-55mm IS USM lens set at 17mm. The 40D has a 1.6 crop factor.

    1. How do I find the angle of view for this lens?

    If I divide 360 by that angel I will get the number of exposures for a full cylinder without any overlap.

    2. How do I calculate the number of exposures for 40% overlap?
    3. Would I multiply 360 by 1.4 and then divide by the angle of view?

    4. How would calculate the number of exposures for 50% overlap.
    I use that same combination of camera and lens set at 17 degrees.
    The detent ring I use is the 36 degree n10 one. this gives around 25% overlap which is what I always use.
    I can not imagine why you would want a 40 or 50% overlap. that is extreme overkill.
    Regards Terry

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

      Thanks Terry

      See my next post. Did you find the same settings for this combination of body and lens. It would be nice to have some confirmation.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

        Hey Marc,
        Here's a link that might help.
        http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm

        IMO at 17mm with the Canon that's actually 25.5mm focal length (1.5 crop factor).
        At 25.5mm you could shoot 14 around for a full 360 degree cylindrical pano - one shot every 25.7 degrees.
        We have this ring included with the package.

        Hope this helps
        Bill

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

          That really does look useful, but I don't understand it all. I assume tehre are some explanations on thtat site.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

            Hi Marc,

            you need overlap in the images in order to stitch. So you need to know the angle of view of your lens. For making spherical panos, you can use this online calculator
            www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm
            Then, you need to take photos at a constant angular interval 20-30% smaller than the angle of view of your lens. For the most popular lens, you just refer to vrwave database. Note that the focal length they use is shortest in the zoom range.
            www.vrwave.com

            As a beginner, you will find these info helpful.

            http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pa...chtutorials/te...

            www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/4576/


            nick
            Fanotec
            We listen. We try harder.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

              Thanks Bill and Nick.

              On the calculator what is "Size Utilization"

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

                Originally posted by Marc4UCB View Post
                Thanks Terry

                See my next post. Did you find the same settings for this combination of body and lens. It would be nice to have some confirmation.

                I use this calculator...... It comes up with the figures I gave.... You need to use the figures for a 30d as they do not yet include a 40d, but it is the same anyway.
                http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm

                My figures for setting the "nodal point" will not be any help to you as I use a custom mount
                see my posts in this thread ... http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.ph....msg171#msg171

                This pan in the following thread was taken at those settings
                http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.ph...Posts;start=15

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

                  Originally posted by Marc4UCB View Post
                  Thanks Bill and Nick.

                  On the calculator what is "Size Utilization"
                  just keep it at 100%. I guess it is for some cameras which have cropped mode, like the D3, D2x.


                  nick
                  Fanotec
                  We listen. We try harder.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How do I calculated the number of stops to choose detent ring?

                    [quote=Terrywoodenpic;23889]

                    ~ Snip~

                    My figures for setting the "nodal point" will not be any help to you as I use a custom mount
                    see my posts in this thread ... http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.ph....msg171#msg171

                    ~Snip~
                    On the contrary your post did confirm my measurments When you said:

                    "This camera lens combination with QR, in reality, exceeds the adjustment available; and with out it, I would have had to move up to the NN5. or not use a QR."

                    THis confirms my finding that the NN3 mkII just fits this combination body and lens with the lens set to the minimum focal length, 17mm, and theupper rail set to its maximum capacity.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X