Looking for Tips on eliminating Nadir using the NN Ultimate R20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Tips on eliminating Nadir using the NN Ultimate R20

Hello thank you for taking the time to help me out. I am a newly certified Google Photographer after shooting a couple of virtual tours for clients. We started out using the Ricoh, but wanted to offer something with a little more resolution for future clients. We have the full setup that came with the NN Ultimate R20 using a Sigma 8mm f/3.5 fisheye lens on Nikon D5600 and I've been shooting in HDR mode which really seems to work well. Then using PTGui to stitch them together. What I've found though is after using PTGui it comes out with a decent bit of black space at the nadir. Now, I didn't think I needed to shoot a nadir shot with this setup, but for my clients I've had to use photoshop to complete the photo. I figured there is an easier way - either in my setup or my settings in PTGui - but haven't been able to find a solution yet that doesn't require a good bit of time spent in post. Any tips and tricks on this particular setup would be most helpful - thank you!

Hello

In my experience, Photoshop is still the best and fastest way to remove nadir.
    When taking photos, if possible I choose locations where floor below tripod has smallest amount of details.

How I do my panos:
    - 4 RAW shoots around
    - develop RAW in Photoshop (batch processing available)
    - Create panorama with PtGui (batch processing available)
    - Import panoramas and create tour with Pano2VR (batch processing available)
    - Using patch tool in Pano2VR and remove nadir square with Photoshop.

In most cases simple square select and delete with content aware option in Photoshop does the trick

It may sound complicated but in time its done very fast without fuss,
    if you have decent computer and use batch whenever possible.

You can also use tripod with smaller leg radius so that legs doesn't stick outside from black square.
    However these are prone to falling down when not leveled so I would use it :)

Years ago when I was using NN3 and 5 I was using "handheld technique" to shot nadir and post-procesing it in photoshop
    but this required too much of time so I gave up on it.

HTH
    Regards

Comment

If you are using PTGui Pro, you should certainly learn how to incorporate a nadir shot (taken with the tripod shifted out of the way) using viewpoint correction. Usually, no further processing is necessary in Photoshop.You should be able to get a full 180 degree vertical fov with that lens, and you may want a little vertical tilt to ensure good coverage at the zenith. You will always have the tripod visible at the nadir so whether you see the tripod or a black hole, it will still need filling by either cloning in Photohop or viewpoint correction in PTGui. Or you can very quickly and easily apply a logo disc to the 360x180 equirectangular image in Photoshop very simply by layering in a logo disk that has been remapped to appear correctly at the nadir area.

John

Comment

Originally posted by aitaliano View Post
        What I've found though is after using PTGui it comes out with a decent bit of black space at the nadir.
        Just a thought: if you are new to the Sigma 8mm fisheye, could it be that you have not noticed that the lens cap is a two part affair? The obvious lens cap clips onto a ring, which less obviously is detachable. You need to remove both parts to get an unrestricted field of view, otherwise you will get blank a blank nadir/zenith in your panorama.

John

Comment

Working...
        X