Please tell me if this workflow will work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please tell me if this workflow will work

I have a good client now wanting us to submit large gigapanos. His specs are: D800/20mm prime/seven columns of two rows, shot -40 degrees and +30 degrees. And one straight up which confuses me as to how to add that to a "Align to grid" setup in PT Gui but that's a question for the PT Gui forum.

He suggests getting a motorized head "to make things go easier and smoother" but it looks more complicated to me, for what I'll be shooting.

I envision getting an M2 and just doing this manually. After a few it would seem just to be muscle memory: set the rotating base to 6 or 8 station click-stops, manually shoot low then high at each stop, around 360 degrees. Then I guess rotate my camera straight up for one shot. What am I missing?

I know I will have to eyeball the upper rotator to the degrees I want as I don't think it has any click-stops (if that's the term) which again would seem to be just practice. I know I'll have to get an adapter to be able to mount my D800 to the upper rail. Again, what am I missing or forgetting?

The goal is to get this down to a few minutes or less per location daytime shooting. Set up and level tripod, camera already mounted on upper rail, set lower rotator to 0 and just get 'er done. Easy, right? Or not?

Or would it be easier/quicker to shoot the low row around all the 360 stops first then shoot all the high row shots around. Then the one straight up. How all this stitches in PTGui is a mystery to me at this point but I'll figure that out after I've got some test panos done.

Comment

Shooting mainly with D800 and 14mm I have a setup pretty similar to your one ! Only difference is that I shoot full spherical but you'll do partial ones. For that setup, Ultimate Modular is definitively the best setup (enough sturdy and robust to carry the camera plus the heavy lens). I would suggest to add in the case with your panoramic head a little piece of paper with settings to use (always good to get a written reminder ! you can't imagine how your memory can make you mistakes and ruin a shooting ;(

Motorised head for that setup is clearly overkill combined to fact that setup is always longer than manual head (even if it has been pre-setup before). When you shoot gigapano, it's definitively worth it or if you shoot full spherical as there is a lot of shoots to do so "lost" time to setup motorised one will be overcome by time "earned" during shooting and reduced risk of mistakes !

Vincèn
      Retired Nodal Ninja Distributor
      Blog: http://www.skivr.com

Comment

A question about the stitching of the images (I'll be using PTGui 10.0.17): is it better (easier for the program) to stitch if I've shot the complete rows per column (down shot, up shot, then go to the next click-stop/column) or does it matter if I shoot the low row around the 360 then shoot the upper row around the 360. This way I've minimized the risk of not setting my camera to the correct angle again and again and again, just once for the low shots and once for the upper shots. But not if that makes it a nightmare for PTGui/control points/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by giganewb View Post
          A question about the stitching of the images (I'll be using PTGui 10.0.17): is it better (easier for the program) to stitch if I've shot the complete rows per column (down shot, up shot, then go to the next click-stop/column) or does it matter if I shoot the low row around the 360 then shoot the upper row around the 360. This way I've minimized the risk of not setting my camera to the correct angle again and again and again, just once for the low shots and once for the upper shots. But not if that makes it a nightmare for PTGui/control points/whatever.
          PTGui doesn't care really about shooting order ;) I would strongly advise to shoot per row as it's lot easier (lot less settings changes to do on the head, and faster, and less risk of mistakes so ;)

What sort of panorama are you going to shoot ? Landscape ?

Comment

Mostly urban/downtown. If it's rural/landscape it's not me standing out in a field with all the time in the world. In both environments I need to get in and get out as fast as possible, mostly to avoid traffic and security guards asking me "where's your permit?"

As far as putting these panos together, I downloaded PTGui's tutorial images, followed their instructions and still couldn't get it to stitch properly. I'm used to shooting my 360s using my D7200/Sigma 4.5mm at four stations around, running them through PTGUI (which takes 7 seconds to "Create Panorama") and they always come out "perfect". It would seem stitching gigapanos is just an entirely different thing, with stitching errors the norm.

I tell you it's tough to get specific info on almost all aspects of what I'm trying to put together, from equipment to the whole gigapano stitching process. You've been a big help. I went onto a guy's website who actually was pretty detailed about the shooting/stitching process but his method was insanely labor intensive. It seemed like he spent hours in post, going into Lightroom, going into Photoshop, tweaking this and tweaking that. I don't have that amount of time. I just want to load my images into PTGUI, hit "Align to grid" "Create Panorama" and have the software spit out a finished product. Am I dreaming that it can be that easy?

Comment

Mostly urban/downtown. If it's rural/landscape it's not me standing out in a field with all the time in the world. In both environments I need to get in and get out as fast as possible, mostly to avoid traffic and security guards asking me "where's your permit?"
              For gigapanos you won't avoid that problem as shooting is extremely time intensive (can take hours easily, remembers having spent an afternoon in mountain alone with camera and panoramic head shooting and me keeping an eye on it just in case and ready to change memory cards when filled !

As far as putting these panos together, I downloaded PTGui's tutorial images, followed their instructions and still couldn't get it to stitch properly. I'm used to shooting my 360s using my D7200/Sigma 4.5mm at four stations around, running them through PTGUI (which takes 7 seconds to "Create Panorama") and they always come out "perfect". It would seem stitching gigapanos is just an entirely different thing, with stitching errors the norm.
              I tell you it's tough to get specific info on almost all aspects of what I'm trying to put together, from equipment to the whole gigapano stitching process. You've been a big help. I went onto a guy's website who actually was pretty detailed about the shooting/stitching process but his method was insanely labor intensive. It seemed like he spent hours in post, going into Lightroom, going into Photoshop, tweaking this and tweaking that. I don't have that amount of time. I just want to load my images into PTGUI, hit "Align to grid" "Create Panorama" and have the software spit out a finished product. Am I dreaming that it can be that easy?
              It can be that easy if you don't mind about all little details in your gigapanorama ;) Did you try the Gigapan Import filter in PTGui ? Be careful too that for Gigapano you need most time more overlap between pictures compared to regular panos ! Something like 40/45 is fine !

If you still have problems. perhaps you can export in JPEG (good quality) a set of pictures and share it so I can try to stitch it on my side and let you know results !

Comment

Working...
              X