PDA

View Full Version : Sirui P-424S Monopod

mosleyh
06-24-2014, 12:40 PM
I've been shooting with a Sirui P-424S monopod and both R1/Rokinon 8mm and RS-1/Nikkor 16mm for a couple of months now, and have been getting great results, so I thought I'd share with the group.

In both cases, I'm also using RD5/EZ-Leveler II/Quick Mount Mini.

What's cool about this particular monopod is that it has feet that are wide and stable enough to hold the pod upright on level ground. (no, I wouldn't normally get further away than arm's length unless I was taking a shot of the setup!) Fully extended, the camera sits just over 6 feet in the air as seen in the attached image. The best part though, is that the feet are small enough that they don't show in the Nadir - they're entirely covered by the base/rotator/leveler, so there's only a very small Nadir patch to deal with.

Oh, and the base detaches to become a very low profile tripod if you ever need to get really close to the ground, table or whatever surface you're on.

wilco23
07-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you try panning feature of monopod? If it is folded and if you remove the base, what is the length of monopod?

mosleyh
07-09-2014, 01:18 PM
The panning feature is very smooth, but not dampened in any way.

I left out a couple of things:

The feet fold up and out of the way so they don't necessarily need to be removed.
Max length is 74.5"
It has a ball joint at the bottom that can be locked or unlocked.
With the feet extended, the base rests fairly comfortably against your thigh or hip and makes a nice handheld jib for shooting over railings, etc.

Here's a product page:

http://en.zssirui.com/productshow.php?pid=144

wilco23
07-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the link. Without removable feet and the monopod is filded, what is the lens of the monopod?

mosleyh
07-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the link. Without removable feet and the monopod is filded, what is the lens of the monopod?

26 3/8 inches