PDA

View Full Version : RS-2 + nodal slide as a slightly cheaper alternative to M1-S?

NightFlyer
09-14-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm trying to decide between an RS-2 and a M1-S. Mostly I'll be doing multi-row panoramas with my Olympus OM-D E-M5 micro-4/3s camera, but I've got the Samyang fisheye to play with some VR panoramas as well.

I think that just adding an upper rail to the RS-2 makes it "somewhat" equivalent to a M1-S, and it would save me $100+ US. It would also allow me to start out with just the RS-2 and a lens ring for my Samyang fisheye, and then purchase the upper rail later.

I'd appreciate any feedback to help me decide, especially answers to the following:

What is the length of the lower rail portion of the RS-2? I haven't seen specs on that.
I believe that the RS-2 has a smaller footprint than the M1-S. Is that very important when doing spherical panoramas, or is that something that just makes it nicer, but isn't a critical difference?
Does the RS-2 take any of the rotators that work with the NN4, or does it take the ones that work with the RS-1?
For a small micro-4/3s camera and the associated small lenses, would the M1-S give me any necessary better stability? Or would the RS-2 be sufficient for what I want?
I would like to be able to carry everything on short (1-2 hour) hikes. I think that the M1-S would come apart & get put back together quickly and so would be easy to throw in a day pack. Would there be any problem throwing the RS-2 in a day pack (I'm assuming that the vertical rail doesn't come off the lower rail easily, but maybe I'm wrong?)

Thanks for any help!

ps: In some ways I'd love the M1-S, but I'm not sure I can justify the extra $100+ if the RS-2 is an adequate solution for me. I'm just an enthusiast, so things don't have to be as perfect as they would for a professional trying to make money off sales.

nick fan
09-16-2013, 02:57 AM
RS2 is fine for you.

Nick

NightFlyer
09-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Great news, Nick!

I couldn't find the specs on how long the lower rail was on the RS-2. I *think* that with a micro 4/3ds camera I won't have any problems with the lower rail not being long enough, but just wanted to make sure.

nick fan
09-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Great news, Nick!

I couldn't find the specs on how long the lower rail was on the RS-2. I *think* that with a micro 4/3ds camera I won't have any problems with the lower rail not being long enough, but just wanted to make sure.
RS2 can support DSLRs without battery grip too.

Nick

NightFlyer
09-17-2013, 10:23 AM
RS2 can support DSLRs without battery grip too.

Nick

I was curious, because I'm thinking of adding a slide and then of course the QR clamp, and then the camera, and the RS-2 was designed for ring mounts. I guess if it's basically the same lower rail system as the NN4, then adding a slide & clamp could be OK.

NightFlyer
09-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Investigating further, it appears that the RD8 isn't supported on the RS-2. That means that the largest FF equivalent lens I can use on the RS-2 would be ~265 (using the RD16). Since Micro 4/3 cameras have a crop factor of 2, that would mean limiting myself to less than 130mm focal length. I currently have a 14-150mm lens (28-300mm FF equivalent), so I wouldn't be able to use that lens zoomed out all the way with the RD16.

nick fan
09-18-2013, 08:11 AM
150mm is still usable for a 4/3 sensor with an overlap of about 20%. But do you really need that much resolution? You can get similar result with sharper prime lens at lower focal length. How about a cheap and shape manual focus 135mm prime?

Nick

NightFlyer
09-18-2013, 08:18 AM
150mm is still usable for a 4/3 sensor with an overlap of about 20%. But do you really need that much resolution? You can get similar result with sharper prime lens at lower focal length. How about a cheap and shape manual focus 135mm prime?

Nick

I'm just starting into this kind of shooting, so you could be completely right and the RD16 with a 3.75 degree detent will serve. I just want to make sure that the system I buy now will be one that will be good for me for a while, and that I won't outgrow it immediately and wish I had gotten something else.