Leveling; the NN4 is VERY SENSITIVE! How big a deal is this? [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Leveling; the NN4 is VERY SENSITIVE! How big a deal is this?

rpavich
03-31-2013, 06:05 AM
I got an NN4 with the adapter for my 5DII with battery grip.

I have no problem stitching panos...in fact, everything is going good so far but...I do have a question:

How important is it to get "center bubble" perfectly around the rotation of the head?

I have a pretty beefy tripod; a Vanguard 463AT with a GH-200 head, and when the tripod shows level, the NN4 still show's things to be off. I thought maybe that the "ball" part of it was the weak link so I attached the NN4 directly to the tripod legs but that didn't change anything significantly.

When I level the NN4 and spin it in a circle, the bubble wanders. I can tell that there is play in the whole apparatus just due to manufacturing tolerances...it can't be avoided, so my camera sags a slight bit.

I'm wondering if I'm just not getting an accurate "center bubble" to start with, and was wondering if an EZ-Leveler would be something I'd need or if a slight bubble wander is not that big of a deal.

The lens I'm using is a 14mm Rokinon, not a huge lens at all.

hindenhaag
03-31-2013, 06:15 AM
Hi,

You only have to level the first shot and then leave it untouched till you shoot the Nadir2 shot. The Nadir2 shot will be out of level because of the torque set to the panohead. So you only have to level to shots: the first, and the Nadir2 shot.

Heinz

rpavich
03-31-2013, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

One question: What's the "nadir2" shot?