Help..Nikon D800 + Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help..Nikon D800 + Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye

william anderson
01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
I have a Nikon D800 and Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye.. Do you think, NN4 with RD16-II + Ez Leveler2 will fit on mine?

or any suggestion of Nodal Ninja Setup will fit on that camera and lens.. thanks guys

nick fan
01-17-2013, 10:32 PM
I have a Nikon D800 and Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye.. Do you think, NN4 with RD16-II + Ez Leveler2 will fit on mine?

or any suggestion of Nodal Ninja Setup will fit on that camera and lens.. thanks guys

yes, that is a great combination.
you can even get R1 if you want a more compact setup.

Nick

william anderson
01-18-2013, 12:00 AM
ow.. i see..thank you so much nick fan.. how about tripod that will fit on my setup to fully create a 360degree panoramic picture?

John Houghton
01-18-2013, 03:13 AM
William, It would be difficult to find a tripod that would not fit your setup. They come with either the standard camera 1/4" screw fitting or a 3/8" screw. An adapter is supplied with the Nodal Ninja heads to accommodate both types. Avoid tripods that have a built-in pan and tilt head with sticky out arms, as these intrude into the 360x180 view. Otherwise, almost any tripod will do. However, there are conflicting requirements for the ideal tripod: it should be rigid and stable, yet light enough to carry around in a backpack, oh and it should not be too expensive. A heavy, rock solid Manfrotto is excellent, but you wouldn't want to carry it around all day. So you will have to compromise in one area or another. You may well end up with more than one to suit different situations. The topic of the "best tripod" is raised quite often in various forums. A forum search will find them. E.g. See http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/showthread.php?2723-Best-economical-tripods&highlight=tripod
John

hindenhaag
01-18-2013, 03:31 AM
Hi William,

in case you choose for one with a center column, try to find one which is not very long or choose one where you can change to a shorter center column. Very long center column may stand out below the Nadir Adapter in Nadir2 shot and cover the info to get a good stitch without black areas.

You may have a look at www.Feisol.com as well.

For me it is important to choose one which is high enough without raised center column, that I can look through the viewfinder without bending too much in my back.

Heinz

william anderson
01-20-2013, 09:55 PM
thanks to both of you. it helps a lot.=) do you think, i need to buy a ball head to the tripod?

hindenhaag
01-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Hi,

If you ask me personally, I would not use it. To level I would prefer to use the EZ-Leveller II.

There is a lot of weight on top of the ballhead. Opening the ball head for free movement, you have to use one hand to prevent the whole top gear from falling aside, which might end up in a crash. So you have to get a ballhead where you can adapt tension and which is able to carry a lot of weight. This will cost you some hundred dollars.

The best thing is to use the Ez-Leveller II or the panoramahead directly on top of the tripod because more height will end up in more torque.

There are some users who use a ballhead. I have tried but I do not like it at all. I use EZ-Leveller II and nothing in between.

Heinz

Hugh
01-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Hello William

I am definitely with Heinz on this one!

I usually level up by adjusting the legs in turn, just two not all three, one at a time.
You can grip the leg with one hand whilst adjusting it and if you have a screw type clamp you can also control the friction.

I also use a survey tribrach sometimes, which is the same as the EZ-leveller Heinz mentions, and would buy an EZ-leveller if I did not have some survey tribrachs already.

Hugh.