R1 zenith workflow [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : R1 zenith workflow

Molls-Phot
08-10-2012, 06:24 AM
When travelling light I use a Nikon D5100/10.5mm and R1 on a free-standing monopod. I shoot 6 round (0 degrees) plus zenith (either 90 degree on the head or hand held at roughly the NPP position depending on the light level) plus nadir. I use the latest PTGUI pro for stitching.

I'm getting inconsistent results with the zenith blending. I'm aware the NPP moves for the zenith shot and that viewpoint correction is the way to deal with the issue but how do you go about it when the zenith isn't flat (which I believe is a requirement for it to work) or when it's featureless (blue sky) and it's impossible to find matching detail?

This one has me foxed as sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Gary

Jaime Brotons
08-10-2012, 11:16 PM
I think i have seen this at panoguide too, the best is o shot zenit at 60-70 deg, this way the photo have enough control points at the bottom, it works with One, but some times i use 2 at 180deg, but the perfect solución would be to use a 8mm with your camera or a FF camera with your lens.

Molls-Phot
08-11-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm beginning to think the 8mm is probably the way to go here. With the above set-up I have plenty of control points in the zenith shots of interiors which helps with basic alignment but, as they are not on a flat plain, viewpoint correction does not work so I cannot get a perfect stitch. I have even tried it using a template but it's still not good enough.