PDA

View Full Version : Lack of mini quick releases and plates ???

Terrywoodenpic
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Aggravating lack of quick releases and plates suitable for the new generation of small Digital cameras like the Fuji X 10.

My manfotto plate makes a mockery of the whole Idea as it is far wider than the camera base, and the general size and weight defeat the object of leaving it attached, a swiss plate is no better.

I know that has not much to do withe Pano brackets, and there is no problem fitting such a camera to a NN3.
But a quick release plate is only quick if you can leave it in place with out turning a small camera into a monster.

a small plate and quick release, and/or an adaptor to allow standard QR to allow a small plate to fit would be ideal.

I have seen a swiss type plate fot the Olympus pen base and the top part of the plate fits well, but the whole thing including the dovetail is the normal size so it defeats the object.
It would be nice to have an internal dovetail on the plate so it could have a smooth exterior.

67 happy photo years from amateur to professional and back. Caught the bug Young.

DemonDuck
06-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Aggravating lack of quick releases and plates suitable for the new generation of small Digital cameras like the Fuji X 10.

My manfotto plate makes a mockery of the whole Idea as it is far wider than the camera base, and the general size and weight defeat the object of leaving it attached, a swiss plate is no better.

I know that has not much to do withe Pano brackets, and there is no problem fitting such a camera to a NN3.
But a quick release plate is only quick if you can leave it in place with out turning a small camera into a monster.

a small plate and quick release, and/or an adaptor to allow standard QR to allow a small plate to fit would be ideal.

I have seen a swiss type plate fot the Olympus pen base and the top part of the plate fits well, but the whole thing including the dovetail is the normal size so it defeats the object.
It would be nice to have an internal dovetail on the plate so it could have a smooth exterior.

I have similar feelings. I think that one simple, 1/4x20 bolt and a plate with a threaded hole is simple and effective and lighter and smaller. A bolt or a chunk of unnecessary mechanism? And how much time do you really save with a "quick release plate"? 3 seconds?

My camera weighs 225 grams -- 7.9oz. How much does a quick release plate and clamp weigh? And the clamp uses a 1/4x20 bolt to hold it on the rail so you have this completely worthless mechanism interposed between the plate and the rail.

The new custom plates are absolutely necessary for proper alignment of the camera on the rail. But the clamp is not.

Anyway, that's what I think.