PDA

View Full Version : Inner diameter of Panasonic 8mm MFT ring?

KG
09-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I am receiving the new Samyang 7.5mm FE for MicroFourThirds for a panorama test early next week and I was wondering if I could use the R1 lens ring for the Panasonic 8mm MFT for this lens.

I anyone could give me the inner diameter and the the thickness (or should I say wideness) of the Panasonic ring, I can figure out next week if it will fit or not

Thanks

Karel

hindenhaag
09-08-2011, 02:28 PM
You might be lucky Karel: Panasonic is shown with 61mm, Samyang 60mm. But it seams to cover all movable parts of the Samyang.

Do you know a dealer that has this ring?

Heinz

BTW: added yesterday: http://www.lenstip.com/1940-news-Samyang_7.5_mm_f_3.5_UMC_Fish-eye_MFT_-_sample_images.html

KG
09-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks, Heinz.

I guess it is worth taking a shot at, seeing the pictures.

The search for the ring is my next quest now :-)

Karel

DennisS
09-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I really do not want to make a ring if there is something already very close that I can modify. I also have the lens on order. Hopefully it gets here before my trip next month.

hindenhaag
09-08-2011, 11:52 PM
May be this one might be an alternative to NN Lens Ring:

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/adapters/adapter-finder/

Best place to ask for the lens ring should be www.cameranu.nl They have the best stock in NN Parts in Nl. I already searched our NL dealers websites.Nothing. But may be they have it in stock, websites are not so up to date. But I am afraid they only have the popular rings in stock like sigma and Samyang 8mm, nikkor 10.5/16. New orders often take 4 - 6 weeks. In this case I step over to www.magasin/skivr , our friend Vincen. Just ordered the new Tripod adapter at 07-09-11, Sepa EU money overboeking, will be in NL today with shipment TNT economy express €25.xx costs. Normal TNT is around €16.

Urk - cameranu is not far away from you isn't it Karel?

Heinz

badders
09-09-2011, 01:14 AM
I should have the Samyang 7.5mm lens, R1 with Panasonic 8mm lens ring and an E-P3 to test next week.

KG
09-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Thanks Heinz,

I did mail Vincèn (I am a 'regular' with skivr) and he confirmed that he could deliver by the end of next week.
b.t.w: does the Novoflex fit the R1?

Karel

KG
09-09-2011, 02:55 AM
@badders: Could you post your findings if the ring fits well, next week?

Thanks

Karel

hindenhaag
09-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Karel,

I've send you an IM. You are number One for sure..:th_wink: I will try to check the Novoflex. But at the moment I feel it is the easiest way to use the Panasonic lens ring. There is only a small rim to lens flange side on the outer ring. I talked to Vincen and he checked the ring for us. So I feel it might work changing the design of the inner plastic insert or even without it.

That's how the forum works:th_cool: Trying to help each other.
Specially for those who drive an old volvo amazone like I did years ago!:cool2:

I am waiting for Nikon mirrorless to find out. Let's see.

It's a great moment for Pole Panos and those who need very light equipment for their travels.

Cheers,
Heinz

nick fan
09-09-2011, 03:34 AM
I should have the Samyang 7.5mm lens, R1 with Panasonic 8mm lens ring and an E-P3 to test next week.

You will have the Samyang 7.5mm next week? Do you have a good caliper? you can measure the dimensions for me and save my money on the lens.

Nick

Vincèn
09-09-2011, 03:40 AM
considering all the talk about that ring, here are picture of the inside of the ring so you can get better idea if it might fit on the Samyang. Sorry for quality of picture but definitively not easy to shoot black plastic and still be able to see the details :blush:313

KG
09-09-2011, 03:55 AM
I can give you the exact dimensions as soon as I have the lens, Nick, no problem
Probably by next monday

Cheers,

Karel

DennisS
09-09-2011, 08:03 AM
The Panasonic ring clamp may not work on the Samyang lens. The only solid part of the lens to clamp onto is at the very back. The rest of the barrel is taken up with the focus ring and f stop ring. There is a very small area of the barrel that does not move and might be very difficult to grab onto.

I also have the lens on order. When it gets here I can provide measurements down to whatever level of precision is required.

After shaving the lens there will be a need for a new lens cover. I hate voiding the warrantee on something brand new. There have been no pictures of the stock cover, so we do not know yet if it will still work (with modifications). Any thoughts on this?

badders
09-09-2011, 08:06 AM
You will have the Samyang 7.5mm next week? Do you have a good caliper? you can measure the dimensions for me and save my money on the lens.
Yes. No. (But I can get one and yes I'll take measurements for you) I don't yet know when next week I'll receive the lenses as they have only been put on shipment today.

KG
09-12-2011, 09:08 AM
The lens arrived today, I will post my first sample in a new thread

Here are the dimensions, Nick
They are ± 0.05 mm and in the brackets you'll find the average of 3 measurements.

Is this sufficient for you?

http://www.360vr.nl/Pics/Sam_dim.jpg

Karel

hindenhaag
09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi Karel,

I'll get the Panasonic lens ring tomorrow. I think the red ring is fixed, is it? I suppose the outer ring will cover the two rings focus and aperture. Could you please measure the height of every single ring, sliver flange, aperture ring, red ring, focus ring, and their diameters?

Cheers,
Heinz

nick fan
09-13-2011, 12:20 AM
The lens arrived today, I will post my first sample in a new thread

Here are the dimensions, Nick
They are ± 0.05 mm and in the brackets you'll find the average of 3 measurements.

Is this sufficient for you?

http://www.360vr.nl/Pics/Sam_dim.jpg

Karel

Hi Karel,

Thx for the data. Lens ring for Panosonic 8mm is quite thick. I need diameter and height values up to the red ring.

Nick

hindenhaag
09-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Hello again,

Karel and I tested the panasonic lens ring this afternoon: good and bad news. The good one, the outer ring works well. So Nick has just to design an new Insert. Bad news: the insert of the panasonic lens rests on the focus and aperture rings of the Samyang lens. You can turn the camera around with the lens ring fixed to the lens!!. We have taken all measurements and Karel will send a report about it.

Cheers,
Heinz

hindenhaag
09-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Sorry to forget to mention: We could test it today because Vincen did his best to send the panasonic lens ring in time. 2-days! :clap:

We are lucky as NN users to have these guys in EU: Distributor / Resellers Andrew in UK, Mauro in IT, and last but not least Vincen in FR. Because they listen and do their best to help us. Giving basic advice, helping in cases like this. Thx to you guys!!:clap:

And good news to Nick as well: it "only needs another insert", not a complete new ring set.:th_wink:

Cheers,
Heinz

BTW: DennisS, this will really fit into your bag. A tiny nice little lens. You will always find some room for a "small apple" in your basket?? At this time you have to visit your garage to get a lens ring ready. It has to rest on the silver socket and may be on the red ring. I am sure you solve this problem. I'll send you a mail.

badders
09-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Our pleasure! I'll have the lens to test with an Olympus E-P3 either tomorrow or Friday (no ring clamp so it'll be mounted on a NN3 with a T-30.) If you've got any specific requests for testing - ask now!