RAM for processing VR Images? [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : RAM for processing VR Images?

Hugh
06-21-2011, 03:05 AM
I am hoping I can benefit from those who have more knowledge of these matters than I have.

I have recently upgraded to a 64bit machine, which came with 3Gb RAM, but it appears that VR processing software, such as PTGui, benefits from lots of RAM so I am contemplating adding another 8Gb and was wondering if this is a wise investment, or a waste of cash.

I usually create Equirectangulars around the 10000 x 5000 size, or slightly larger, and wonder how much RAM I really should have as I am getting messages that I am pushing the limits with 3Gb.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Best regards, Hugh.

Vincèn
06-21-2011, 03:08 AM
3Gb of RAM is definitively too short :sad: so 8Gb RAM more will be definitively a plus :001_smile: Are u working on Mac or Windows ? I guess windows :th_wink: If you go with larger panoramas, fast scratch hard-drive may be also a very wise choise :biggrin:

Vincèn

hindenhaag
06-21-2011, 04:28 AM
And you need enough space on the hard disk for all the temp files. That's why I changed the original harddisk of my MacBookPro into a 7200mp 500GB harddisk. With mac fixit and some tools quite easy. Now I don't have these. not enough space messages any more.

Heinz

Hugh
06-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Hello Vincèn and Heinz for your advice.

I now have a much better idea and will go ahead with more RAM :001_smile:.

Yes Vincèn, I am with Windows - I would prefer a Mac for these types of projects, but I use a lot of packages for other things that are specifically written for Windows so I am stuck with it.

Heinz, I do have plenty of hard disk space, but note your comments as it soon fills up, but have terabytes of backup to save things to.

Thanks for the help,
Hugh.

Vincèn
06-21-2011, 08:38 AM
something that really fastens things is to use a dedicated scratch disk or partition (but partition on physical distinct drive of drives where you store your current data and pictures :) Best but expensive way is to use either a RAID0 with traditionnal drives (plates one) or use a SSD :D

Vince

Hugh
06-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Thanks Vincèn, I'll look into this and see if the pennies can stretch as it sounds a good idea.

I am always very conscious of data storage and backup as these devices can go wrong so I have a number of drives and backup religiously.

I hear from Andrew that you had a very successful time in Portugal with the 3 of you very busy shifting lots of Nodal Nija kit :biggrin: and hope that I will be able to justify visiting a similar event in the future as I find that more I learn about VR there is always a lot more to learn :confused1:.

Thanks for your advice, Hugh.

Vincèn
06-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks Vincèn, I'll look into this and see if the pennies can stretch as it sounds a good idea.sometimes RAID 0 solution with a dedicated RAID card and traditional hard drives might be less expensive than a SSD drive and gives you a lot of extra storage for temporary directory ;)

I am always very conscious of data storage and backup as these devices can go wrong so I have a number of drives and backup religiously.if your data are sensitive think seriously about off site storage ! as fire, flood or just stole happens, and your data will be gone ! Pretty good solutions exist such as Backblaze and it's definitively not expensive for coverage you get ! I have nearly 5Tb backup in their system and it's automatic, nothing to do :)

I hear from Andrew that you had a very successful time in Portugal with the 3 of you very busy shifting lots of Nodal Nija kit :biggrin: and hope that I will be able to justify visiting a similar event in the future
right Nodal Ninja products got a lot of success and a lot of people were very interested about poles, hopefully we were out of poles first day of show so no need to pack them back (always difficult to ship ! :D)

I find that more I learn about VR there is always a lot more to learn :confused1:.
and you didn't come at conference because you would have yet discovered new techniques and new stuffs to learn, 3D, pole shooting, ..........

Vincèn

badders
06-23-2011, 12:59 AM
and you didn't come at conference because you would have yet discovered new techniques and new stuffs to learn, 3D, pole shooting, ..........
Foam Parties... :blush:

Vincèn
06-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Foam Parties... :blush:
tasting wine...

hindenhaag
06-23-2011, 06:36 AM
tsztsz, is this allowed in France during working hours? Oh sorry forgot to think about that wine in france is normal basic food, no alcohol.:biggrin:

Cin Cin,
Heinz

Vincèn
06-23-2011, 10:04 AM
tsztsz, is this allowed in France during working hours? Oh sorry forgot to think about that wine in france is normal basic food, no alcohol.:biggrin:
exactly wine is just a regular drink here in france and also in Portugal :)

Vince

badders
06-23-2011, 10:09 AM
wine is just a regular drink here in france and also in Portugal :)
It's also a regular drink in Scotland where here in Glasgow the "regular" drink is Buckfast Tonic Wine. Or "bucky" as it is often called as in - "haw - giez a wee swally o'yer bucky pal..."

Hugh
06-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks Vincèn, Heinz and Andrew,

I get the point so hope to rectify it and be there next time!

Best regards, Hugh,