PDA

View Full Version : Poppy fields - shot using an M1 head

John Houghton
06-14-2011, 03:07 PM
I took this panorama this morning, having cycled 5 miles to the location with the M1+5DII+Sigma 20mm+Feisol tripod all in a backpack. No problems with the hardware - just a procession of clouds passing over my field to hide the sun for a considerable time. A gap appeared at long last so I was able to get some decent shots:

http://www.johnhpanos.com/poppies.html

John

nick fan
06-14-2011, 09:27 PM
nice shots!
with so much cloud in the sky, you must complete the shots quickly to avoid change in lighting. How long did you take? how many shots do you take?

NIck

John Houghton
06-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Nick, The whole shoot took about two and a half hours, including the 20 minute bike ride there and 20 minutes back. I took 3 rows of 8 + N + Z (bracketed). The hardware worked ok, but the two major problems I had to contend with were:
1. Just as I had unpacked and set up the tripod etc and was ready to shoot, the field was invaded by a family of 7 + dog. They approached from the distant side and made their way ever so slowly towards me along the path before stopping and having some sort of picnic about a quarter of the way in. I retreated and sat at my side of the field. I was hopping mad, as the children were running about into the poppies and I could hear them shouting and squealing, as children do. After more than half-an-hour they made their way slowly back from whence they came. I suppose they were far enough away for me to Photoshop them out of the pano, but I didn't want the hassle.
2. After the picnic party left I set up again but I then had a succession of clouds moving over that blotted out the sun effectively for another half-an-hour. (The clouds were moving agonizingly slowly). Eventually, a big gap appeared that promised widespread sunshine so I again set up the tripod. Whilst doing this, some farm workers driving a large tractor and trailer entered the field and slowly made their way along the path around the edge of the field, dropping off stakes here and there - maybe for fence repairs. Unfortunately, I had left my bike on its side on the path, so I had to run over and rescue it before the tractor reached it. I then waited for the tractor to slowly exit from the other side of the field.
I was really fed up with all the hanging about, but I suppose it was worth it in the end. I did seriously consider going home and coming back in the afternoon. I've used the Sigma 20mm lens a lot for cylindical partial panoramas, but I thought I would try using it for a full 360x180 for the first time out of interest. It works well except for annoying flare spots of various sizes and colours.

John

DemonDuck
06-15-2011, 03:15 AM
Know what you mean. Once on a deserted trail around a lake in the middle of shooting a pano, a guy came up to me and insisted on talking about my camera. Ruined the shot -- had to do it over. Another time and another flower field, had the tourists march through the flowers like a herd of buffalo. Oh well...

The clouds do set off the poppies nicely though.

wilco23
06-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Amazing color of flowers and nice pano.....

Bill Bailey
06-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I took this panorama this morning, having cycled 5 miles to the location with the M1+5DII+Sigma 20mm+Feisol tripod all in a backpack. No problems with the hardware - just a procession of clouds passing over my field to hide the sun for a considerable time. A gap appeared at long last so I was able to get some decent shots:

http://www.johnhpanos.com/poppies.html

John
one word - Excellent!
Bill

Wim.Koornneef
06-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Hello John,

Unfortunately the pano is Flash only and for the next days I only have my iPad around so I can't view the pano.
Your description of the shoot, the people, the tractor, the clouds this all is very familiar to most of us.
The waiting till all is clear can be very frustrating, I bet if it was not 5 but less then a mile from home you would go home and return later.
Will see the pano later.

Best,
Wim

John Houghton
06-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Wim, Just for you, I have uploaded a version of the panorama generated with PTGui for iPad viewing. I don't have an iPad to test it on but it appears to work on my iPod Touch:

http://www.johnhpanos.com/ipoppies/ipoppies.htm

John

Wim.Koornneef
06-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Hello John,

Thanks for outputting the poppies pano for iPad, it is a real beauty.
I have never seen a 360 scene with so many of those beatifull flowers, it must have been a very special experience for you.
The htmlcss3 pano shows fine and without any issues on my iPad but to view al the details you captured with your 20mm lens I have to view the flash pano later.

All the best,
Wim

Ps, Margriet wants to know the location of the field, do you have a GoogleMaps link ?

John Houghton
06-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Wim, The link to Google Maps is http://tinyurl.com/6lawjdp .

John

bigwade
06-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Hey John, wow,wow,wow what a spot, amazing ;-)

I've seen the pano on iMac and iPad and another screen.
It's all there in color information, but the overall pano lacks
contrast, and colors (sky) are rather dull.
Since you have a lot of exposures you can make another one later I guess.

Next time try a pole also btw.
I have no idea how long this fields are oké, but make as many, also, normal images you can (for stock !!)
I once had a demand for images like this in august several years ago….. :-(

Have fun there and I hope you have nice light..
grtz
Frank

edit..
BTW what we see is not the max pixel size I guess, why not ?
With 20mm @ 5DMK2 I expect more, but that can be "winter edit work", haha..

Is the M1 a test item or your new toy ??

John Houghton
06-21-2011, 02:30 AM
Frank, Yes, I'm not happy with the sky either and I intend to rectify that. The overall balance between sky and terra firma is not right, but I have the two separately available in layers of a psb file, so I should be able to improve matters when I get round to it. The 20mm lens was overkill as it yielded a equirectangular image of 20000x10000, but it ensured that as much detail as practical was retained in the final panorama of size 3-4MB. I could produce a multiresolution tiled panorama, of course, but the essence of a poppy field is the overall view, not the individual poppies. I don't think it necessary to enable zooming in at high magnification - one poppy looks much the same as another!

The M1 is both a test item and a new toy, kindly supplied by Nick. It's flexibility is very appealing and its solidity inspires confidence.

John

John Houghton
06-22-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm not happy with the sky either and I intend to rectify that.
I'm as good as my word. I restitched it ater trying Canon DPP RAW converter (at Frank's suggestion, to help with saturated reds). I think it looks better now.

John