PDA

View Full Version : Nick-Lens Ring for Canon 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye?

bbc597
05-16-2011, 11:21 AM
I want to get an Fisheye Lens and been holding out for the Canon 8-15mm. (Lens not yet for sale in the market)

Nick, am I holding out for nothing? Looking at the image of the Lens, will there be a Lens Ring available?

http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/1008/canon60d/lenses/EF-8-15mm-f4-L-USM-FSL-w-CAP.jpg

nick fan
05-17-2011, 12:40 AM
I will try to make one. one that supports zoom. :-)

nick

bbc597
05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
I will try to make one. one that supports zoom. :-)

nick

Looks like you already do make a lens ring that supports zoom: http://store.nodalninja.com/products/Lens-Ring-for-Pentax-10-to-17mm.html

But with this Pentax, it looks like you had some more real estate to work with.

I really hope that a lens ring for the Canon 8-15mm fisheye will be available when the lens comes out. This fisheye will be a top seller for Canon!

nick fan
05-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Looks like you already do make a lens ring that supports zoom: http://store.nodalninja.com/products/Lens-Ring-for-Pentax-10-to-17mm.html

But with this Pentax, it looks like you had some more real estate to work with.

I really hope that a lens ring for the Canon 8-15mm fisheye will be available when the lens comes out. This fisheye will be a top seller for Canon!

zoom is not supported in the 10-17mm fisheye. Once ringis clamped down, zoom is locked.

Nick

bbc597
05-17-2011, 12:06 PM
zoom is not supported in the 10-17mm fisheye. Once ringis clamped down, zoom is locked.

Nick

I see....

lock down zoom on the Canon Fisheye shouldn't be a problem?

nick fan
05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
for the price of Canon 8-15mm, I am sure people want to use the zoom function. :-)

Nick

bbc597
05-18-2011, 01:11 PM
for the price of Canon 8-15mm, I am sure people want to use the zoom function. :-)

Nick

Most likely!

But up on a pole, would zooming be an issue?

The MTF of this lens looks very good. The price they are asking for this "L" lens doesn't seem that far out of line...

360texas
05-19-2011, 07:58 AM
We too are waiting for this lens. $1,300 is a good price for 'L' glass. I noticed that Canon is now showing the price on their company website.

Joergen Geerds
06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Yes, I am also debating if I should hold out for the Canon 8-15, which is supposed to be shipping the end of July, 2011 (according to Canon.co.uk): The big question for Nick: Do you have a lens ring available in 4 weeks? I personally wouldn't mind to have the ring cover the focus distance and the AF/MF switch (The plastic insert probably needs some depressions to go over the switches). or if that fails, could you post a list of inner diameters for all the R1 rings (or put them actually in the product descriptions), so users can pick the next best: making a plastic inner ring isn't difficult, the nice fitting outer aluminium is difficult.

joergen
360nyc.com

nick fan
06-27-2011, 11:08 AM
The big question for Nick: Do you have a lens ring available in 4 weeks? I personally wouldn't mind to have the ring cover the focus distance and the AF/MF switch (The plastic insert probably needs some depressions to go over the switches). or if that fails, could you post a list of inner diameters for all the R1 rings (or put them actually in the product descriptions), so users can pick the next best: making a plastic inner ring isn't difficult, the nice fitting outer aluminium is difficult.

without having a lens in hand, I have no idea where our existing metal rings will fix.
So, don't count on me if you need it urgently. Our multi-row NNs are the way to go.

Nick

bbc597
06-28-2011, 08:21 PM
without having a lens in hand, I have no idea where our existing metal rings will fix.
So, don't count on me if you need it urgently. Our multi-row NNs are the way to go.

Nick

Yes the NNs are the way to go. I've got the Ultimate M1, but would like to mount the Canon 8-15mm, when it comes out, onto a pole!

360texas
06-29-2011, 07:22 AM
True, once on top of a pole.. your zoom control would be difficult.

I would just like to see how it would fit in a ring R1... and still use the zoom. The lens dimensions are diameter 3.09 inches or 79mm. Length is 3.27 inches or 83mm. But where to place the ring to permit zoom ?

Currently our Sigma 8mm ring is too small diameter. Maybe a longer threaded base screw might help.

Hochbild_Team
07-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Hello,

today i have pick up 1 Piece in Germany and the Diameter near the Distance Scale without Switches is 70mm. The thickest Places with the 2 Switches is 74,8mm!

I hope that is helpful for the Moment.

hindenhaag
07-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Thx for sharing.

But Nick has to have a lens in his hands to check and design the lens ring I suppose.

Heinz

bbc597
07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Thx for sharing.

But Nick has to have a lens in his hands to check and design the lens ring I suppose.

Heinz

Nick, is this true?

nick fan
07-29-2011, 09:06 PM
I will get one lens asap.

nick

John Houghton
07-30-2011, 11:03 AM
today i have pick up 1 Piece in Germany.
Many have been waiting for nearly a year for this lens to ship and are impatient to get their hands on some sample shots at last. If you could make an 8mm sample 360x180 panorama set available for download somewhere, it would be really appreciated.

John

Hochbild_Team
08-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Hello John,

that is no Problem. Where can i upload it?

Sven

riefa
08-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Hello John,

that is no Problem. Where can i upload it?

Sven

Hi Sven,

You may upload it to any free file hosting: DropBox, Rapidshare, 4shared, etc...then post the link here or email it to John.

I would also interested to download the file for trial...;)

John Houghton
08-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Sven, Great! As Riefa says, use a free hosting site such as http://www.zshare.net (no registration needed) or one of the others suggested. Preferably pack the files together in a zip ar rar archive. Or you can email them - the address is on my web page at http://www.johnhpanos.com/ .

John

John Houghton
08-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Sven kindly emailed me the individual Canon 8-15mm fisheye RAW images (8mm on 5DII - 4 around from a pole) with permission to share them. I've uploaded a zip archive (96MB) at http://www.zshare.net/download/932872116dda8631/ .

John

gomi
08-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I got mine today. It is this kind of lens that you start loving from the first moment you hold it in your hands. Btw, I wouldn't care about a zoom blocker on the R1.

Michael

hindenhaag
08-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi John,

Thx a lot to you and to Sven to share this information. I know a lot of people are waiting for nearly a year for this infos. Though I am a Nikonian, I am interested as well.

If there is somebody in NL who has this lens in his hands, I'd like to ask him to contact me to work out the settings for NN. May be we can meet an afternoon to work it out for the NN Panohead System from R1/R10 to M1. I feel there are a lot of Canon Friends having been waiting for this lens a long time. They want to go out shooting as quick as possible. "With a good database of settings".

Thx in advance,
Heinz

Just send an IM.

360texas
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Quick reply: Maybe I missed it.. but what pole manufacturer and NN rig were you using ??

Downloaded image set of 4 images (landscape fisheye)
Images 5616 x 3744 21 Mp all f/8 1/1000 ISO 200

Opened set of 4 in Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw made global adjustments

CA R/C =0 B/Y = +48
Lens Vignetting Amount = +100 Midpoint +2

White Balance correction = 5200k
Fill light +23 to bring up the building shadows
Saturation +5

No sharpening

Export to .tif 16bit Adobe RGB 1998 72ppi

-- PTGUI
Crop all 4 to 3000 x 3000

Align CP's = 28 Distances Max 3.05198 Min 0.114911 50% CP's under 1.0

Used Mask to remove a few 'moving people' I did not remove nadir showing the photographer + very tall pole.

Thanks for your help taking the imaging.

Hochbild_Team
08-05-2011, 02:07 AM
The Pictures are taken without any NN Rig on an Ambient Pole (http://www.ambient.de/produkte/tonangeln/qp_standard/qp_standard_e.html) in 6 meters. I have only adjust a little bit the Counterweight of the Camera. I think the best Solution on Pole with 8mm are 3 Shots, the first in the Sun then you have no Flares in the 2 others.

Sven

nick fan
08-20-2011, 10:20 AM
finally, I get a lens in hand. I will start working on the lens ring.

Nick

bbc597
08-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Nick

Great!

Vincèn
08-21-2011, 01:34 AM
:001_smile:

badders
08-21-2011, 02:09 AM
finally, I get a lens in hand.
Well, you know the old photographer's saying, "a lens in the hand is worth 2 behind the glass counter in the store..." OK so it doesn't scan very well... ;-)

Cameleer
08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I got my 8-15mm lens a few days ago, right now it's on my pole pano head using the setting hole for the Canon 16mm lens.
http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/8-16mm.jpg

I'm already planning on shaving off a little of the lens hood for shooting @ 13mm without having to remove it.
On this photo @ 13mm you can see the edges of the lens hood, that's what getting removed.
http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/8-15mm2.jpg

Here's a test shot, 4 shots @ 12mm, f/8, ISO100 looking into the sun.
Sharpened and adjusted with Photoshop.
Original size was 11024x5512
http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/8-15.html
The stitching was done fast a sloppy as it's just a test.

4 shots @ 13mm, f/5.6, ISO400, 1/125
This has heavy foliage in it which made for a large 7.43 file size.
At 13mm there was a 3 foot hole top and bottom that I patched, when using a
large pole I often get stitching errors with trees overhead and this one is
fairly bad. Sharpened and adjusted with Photoshop.
http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/foster_park.html

Shot @ 13mm, f/5.6, ISO400, 1/90s file size 7.56MB.
This was done 4 around on a pole and 1 up handheld.
Sharpened and adjusted with Photoshop.
http://www.indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/foster_park_bowl2.html

Roger Berry

nick fan
09-09-2011, 11:52 AM
http://fanotec-public.s3.amazonaws.com/ef_8-15mm_1.jpg http://fanotec-public.s3.amazonaws.com/ef_8-15mm_2.jpg

:rockon:

Vincèn
09-09-2011, 11:57 AM
http://fanotec-public.s3.amazonaws.com/ef_8-15mm_1.jpg
:clap::thumbup:

badders
09-09-2011, 12:07 PM
:th_love::th_love::th_love::th_love:

gomi
09-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Great to see the first ring adapter. Based on my experience with this lens it is crucial to be able to visually check the distance setting. I have the feeling that the prototype hides the small window :-(
Michael

nick fan
09-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Great to see the first ring adapter. Based on my experience with this lens it is crucial to be able to visually check the distance setting. I have the feeling that the prototype hides the small window :-(
Michael

There are many ways to overcome this. One is to use live view to adjust the focus for the first photo. I believe the focus point should stay even after the camera wakes up from sleep.
The other is to make markings on the lens ring and the focus ring.

nick

bbc597
09-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Michael

What is your procedure for using the distance scale?

rjackson
09-19-2011, 08:45 AM
What is your plan/date for availability Nick?

Vincèn
09-19-2011, 09:10 AM
What is your plan/date for availability Nick?
If you speak of the lens ring for Canon 8-15mm it's avalaible now :)

Vincèn

hindenhaag
09-19-2011, 10:03 AM
If you speak of the lens ring for Canon 8-15mm it's avalaible now :)

Vincèn

The problem is, it is not mentioned on the NN e-store site yet. But send a mail for availability?

Heinz

Vincèn
09-19-2011, 10:55 AM
The problem is, it is not mentioned on the NN e-store site yet. But send a mail for availability?
but it is on mine http://magasin.skivr.com/materiel/rotules/ultimate/lens-ring-clamp.html :biggrin::clap:
I'm sure Derek is going to add the ring on store very soon :th_wink:

Vincèn

gomi
09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Due to the USM drive markings don't help at all. The 5D (without II) does not support live view. Even if it would I would never rely on that. The final picture is out-of-focus if you turn the focus ring by about half a milimeter. That's why it is sooooo important to visually check the distance setting. Even to auto-focus an object in the far distance sets the wrong distance. I work with this lens for almost 5 weeks and see no way to overcome a hidden distance window.

Michael

gomi
09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Just set it to a fixed, known value that I know it creates a sharp image from foreground to background (hyperfocal distance). With my lens its exactly between 1m and the infinity sign.

Michael

hindenhaag
09-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi Michael,

which zoom setting? 8mm?

You are right, you only see the real result on PC. That's why we always recommend to do test shots, concerning focus, aperture, raising ISO. That way you know your lens a lot better without coming home with a ruined unrepeatable pano.:001_cool:

Some of our NN friends like DennisS already machined a window into a lens ring to see the distance window. A small window won't cause problems to lens ring stability, depending on it's position related to the lens ring.

Thx for sharing,

Heinz

gomi
09-20-2011, 03:44 AM
Hi Michael,

which zoom setting? 8mm?

You are right, you only see the real result on PC. That's why we always recommend to do test shots, concerning focus, aperture, raising ISO. That way you know your lens a lot better without coming home with a ruined unrepeatable pano.:001_cool:

Some of our NN friends like DennisS already machined a window into a lens ring to see the distance window. A small window won't cause problems to lens ring stability, depending on it's position related to the lens ring.

Thx for sharing,

Heinz

Hi Heinz,

exactly! I was doing all that in the very beginning when I got the lens: determine the NPP and the hyperfocal distance at 8 mm, 12 mm and 15 mm. In fact I was a bit disappointed that the lens needs a very, very exact setting of the hyperfocal distance. If I change the setting by half a millimeter (turn the focus ring left or right) the pano is ruined. That's why I do not use autofocus but set the found distance manually each time.

Usually I shot at 12 mm.

Michael

bbc597
09-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi Heinz,

exactly! I was doing all that in the very beginning when I got the lens: determine the NPP and the hyperfocal distance at 8 mm, 12 mm and 15 mm. In fact I was a bit disappointed that the lens needs a very, very exact setting of the hyperfocal distance. If I change the setting by half a millimeter (turn the focus ring left or right) the pano is ruined. That's why I do not use autofocus but set the found distance manually each time.

Usually I shot at 12 mm.

Michael

I'm wondering if others are having the same issue with this lens?

I too have had this lens for weeks. I have found that using auto focus or live view to focus at the hyperfocal distance, that every thing from the near focus to far focus (infinity) is in sharp focus. This is done with my 5D MK II, I haven't yet tried it with my 5D.

nick fan
09-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Due to the USM drive markings don't help at all. The 5D (without II) does not support live view. Even if it would I would never rely on that. The final picture is out-of-focus if you turn the focus ring by about half a milimeter. That's why it is sooooo important to visually check the distance setting. Even to auto-focus an object in the far distance sets the wrong distance. I work with this lens for almost 5 weeks and see no way to overcome a hidden distance window.

Michael

I will work out a tutorial on how to rebuild the distance scale on other part of lens.

Nick

nick fan
10-08-2011, 02:01 AM
I will work out a tutorial on how to rebuild the distance scale on other part of lens.

Nick

Just found that Michel offered the trick to adjust the focus with a hiden focus window in his review.

http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html#Focusdistanceautofocusandhyperfoc alpoint

6) Tip: If, for any reasons, the Autofocus temporary solution -read item #3 hereabove- is not reliable, then viewing the scale of distance of focus (visible through the plastic transparent window) is essential to manually set the lens correctly and thus to get sharp-focused images. If for any reason, it is not visible (for instance if it's hidden inside a clamp ring), one has then to use a workaround to set the lens to the hyperfocal...

One simple way is 1) to push the setting ring manually so that it is mechanically end-stopped at {position >> ∞}and even farther so as to surely overshoot this position (the ring can be moved freely because the de-clutching effect of the USM), then 2) to reverse the rotation from this extreme end positon back to a final known position with respect to visible marks on the barrel. In other words, this final position is attained after rotation of a known fixed distance (i.e. 8.2 mm) from end-stopped state of the ring in order to set exactly the lens at the hyperfocal {H}.

As a matter of fact, this process is simulating a virtual "twin" distance-scale that replaces the obstructed original one. And this "new scale" is made available on another part of the lens barrel: in this effect, I have painted in white with a "white pencil" one groove on the rubber ring (rapid correction TippEx liquid may work equally). After having rotated the ring toovershoot beyond the infinity end stop action (position on the -invisible- scale at the Infinity compensation mark { >> ∞}), I move it back to the left edge of the letter "Z" of the word "ZOOM" and not more; (note that this has yet not changed th actual setting on the hidden scale itself). Then I reverse (again) the rotation and move the white groove to the right edge of the letter "M" of the same ZOOM word. The distance of focus indicator is now at this stage exactly aligned on the right edge of the "1" meter position on the scale and hyperfocal is set.

Remarks: the word "ZOOM"(see image above) is engraved on the front fixed part of the barrel. Any other adequate pair of points of reference on the body (e.g. two marks applied on the red thin ring) could be used as long as they are separated by ~8.2 mm. BTW there is a 5:2 ratio between the rotation of the ring and the synchronized distance scale and that de-facto magnification soothes in a way the difficulty to set accurately the hyperfocal. Voila!

gomi
10-10-2011, 02:13 AM
As you see Michael also found out that setting the focus distance is really tricky with this lens. His "solution" is quite obvious and I also thought about that kind of work-around. I am not very confident that I'll like the "solution". Right now I'm looking for a company that is able to machine a window into the lens ring to see the distance window.
Michael

Thaler Design GmbH
10-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Could anybody tell me the NPP setting for the Canon 8-15 on an R10 @ 7.5° up 4 shots @ 12.5mm.
On the M1 that I tested with the Canon 8-15 on an 5D MII I had the following setting:
Lower rail 169mm
Upper rail 110.5mm @ 7.5° up.
The point is at the front edge of the lens hood mount.
See this > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-...oParallaxPoint