PDA

View Full Version : The Royal Wedding - London

hoffmanerik
04-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Subject: The Royal Wedding panorama as you have never seen before

What a magnificent day, if you are a lunatic like me

Went to the wedding with my high photographic pole on Thursday afternoon and waited to the big moment on Friday 12:35

Then carry the fucking pole on my shoulders all the way to Piccadilly as all the roads were closed to find a taxi before the heart attack get into me

Shit day but amazing result

So enjoy the panorama as you are in it with the crowd

Click on the full screen button once loaded and travel with the Royals

can you spot me in the panorama at the bottom holding the pole

http://www.fashionbyvogue.com/events/amazing/royalwedding/royalwedding.html

Terrywoodenpic
05-01-2011, 04:47 AM
Great shot

Excellent Idea to include fly Past.

John Houghton
05-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Excellent Idea to include fly Past.
I'm not so sure it was such a good idea. 2 billion people know that the fly past occurred when the happy couple were out on the balcony, so it's obviously a fake photograph.

John

Terrywoodenpic
05-02-2011, 04:50 AM
I'm not so sure it was such a good idea. 2 billion people know that the fly past occurred when the happy couple were out on the balcony, so it's obviously a fake photograph.

John

It is sufficiently obvious to make it a composite. which is fine by me. I think there was more composite work in the shot. It has created a memory of the day rather than reality.

DennisS
05-03-2011, 07:27 AM
I did not know that the fly by took place later. I did not watch the wedding.

Seems to me that every panorama we produce is a composite and not a 100% accurate rendering of the scene. Unless you can take the entire 360x180 sphere in one shot, you are doing a composite of one type or another.

John Houghton
05-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Dennis, Do you really not see the difference between the inevitable (but minimal) tiny discrepancies resulting from the mechanics of the stitching process and the deliberate creation of a false view of a public event? It's fair enough to approve of the result or not care one way or the other, but to pretend that there's no difference ....

John

Bill Bailey
05-03-2011, 06:32 PM
thanks for sharing your work - were you actually allowed to raise the pole in a crowd like that? I would have thought security to come running. Just think if someone bumped into you. Also curious that no one is looking "at" the couple and many people are looking in opposite direction :-)
clever adapt of interpretation

Bill

DennisS
05-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Dennis, Do you really not see the difference between the inevitable (but minimal) tiny discrepancies resulting from the mechanics of the stitching process and the deliberate creation of a false view of a public event? It's fair enough to approve of the result or not care one way or the other, but to pretend that there's no difference ....

John If you had not said that the fly by was not done at that time, I would never have know that the panorama was a fraud. When the fly by took place is of no concequence to me. I do not follow the "royals" every move and really do not care. I am not pretending that there is no difference between this and any other panorama. There is. We each have our level of acceptance of a composite, no matter how close to reality it is. You clearly have an issue with this wedding panorama, and that is ok. Quite frankly, this panorama does nothing for me either. It is kind of neat and does create a memory of the day for the person who created it and for anyone else who likes it. At least he is thinking "outside the box".

If you take a very close look at my TDF 2009 finish line pano, you can clearly see that people are looking in 4 different directions. It took 4 pictures to assemble the panorama. Since it took time to rotate the camera, as the crowds followed the cyclists, their heads turned. The sound track came from the video my daughter recorded earlier, so that does not match up either. I can accept all of this because it creates a memory of the event for me and my family.

Those that were at or watched the wedding might care and those that were not there, well, might not even care. You belong to the first group and I belong to the second. Nothing wrong with either group. Your acceptance level is lower than mine. That is the point I am trying to make.