Nodal Ninja 4 [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Nodal Ninja 4

Destiny
04-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Hello all you happy little Ninja's out there.... :th_wink:

This Thread is for those who would like to make comment on the State-Of-The-Art Nodal Ninja 4 Pano Head...

To be honest I am still overwhelmed at being the first person in the whole wide world to receive the all new NN4 with RD16 Rotor. I also have the Arca Style Quick Release System which is really great. Camera On - Camera Off, really quickly...

I am also playing with my Nadir Adapter which is a really nice little attachment, very well made with precise clicks to set to 90 and 180 degrees. I am still working out how to use it but I will get there in the end. I have had lots of hot tips on that so far...:thumbup1: To be honest I think that this little tool really sets off the NN4.. It adds so much to its functionality. I would guess that a lot of thought has gone into its design.

I am using the Nikon D90 with 10.5 fisheye lens which are both really nice tools.. I really love my setup but in time i would like to buy a full frame camera, but that will come later. I am very new to the pano world, but I am learning fast. So far I think I have made all the right decision as far as tooling and software goes.

I have been nothing else but very impressed with the new NN4 from the moment I took it out of its carry case, which in itself is a very nice beautifully made case. My husband laughed at seeing my face when I realised it was longer than the NN3 case, as I found out when I tried to load it into my camera bag. :blush: Now I need a new bigger bag!

There seems to have been a lot of thought gone into the NN4's design and understanding the needs of pano photographers. I personally love nice engineered things. i have checked out just about every part of this NN4 and cannot find fault in any part of it. The overall finish is really beautiful, with no sharp edges. I do not think its an easy task to design something that is well engineered, practical, highly functional and most importantly, affordable but not cheap looking!

The NN4 with its increment at the rotation points are a really nice feature. Everything seems to move so freely without sticking and clicks precisely into place. Its just a matter of tightening it up after rotating with the large black knob which, like all these large black knobs are really nicely finished off.. Very silky smooth to the touch..

My NN4 sits proudly on top of my RD-16 Rotor. I have used this Rotor before and I have found it to be really easy to use and clicks precisely and easily into its increment setting. This Rotor by itself is a nice piece of engineering.

I have just about set up my Nadir Point which I found to be really easy due to the the NN4's great design features. The metal placement stops are great for maintaining the final settings for all future panos, facilitating a quick setup for each photo session. Now I am ready for the big day tomorrow, where I will be taking my first pano tour of a Model Airplane shop.. Its a freebee so not getting paid for it but I get to put my first pano tour on my web site. It will be the big test for me and my new NN4.. :blush:

Just one last thing.. Customer support in our book is at the top of our list. The customer support we have received from Bill Bailey and his team has been nothing short of OUTSTANDING!.. :th_love:

Bye for now..

D...

Bill Bailey
04-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Hi Destiny and welcome to our forum.
We appreciate the kind words and testimonial. While the vast majority of our products are problem free less than 1% do occasionally need special attention. It's reassuring to know we are there should the need arise. We are also very fortunate to now have Anthony representing Australia who also went above and beyond to assist in this concern.

On the Nadir Adapter here is another thread that will give you an idea how it is used:
http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/showthread.php?3994
Once learned you'll appreciate it's use.

I believe we need to prioritize on getting some new videos up - I'll try to put this near the top.
thx again
Bill

Destiny
04-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Hello Bill ... 1%.. that in itself is a great feat.. Many companies would be happy to let that pass as acceptable, but not yours!.. Even this seems to warrant special attention... :th_love:

John and I have felt a little guilty at not understanding this from the beginning, so we have tried very hard to make this up to you.. .:blush:

John is often in contact with Anthony, he does a great job in costumer service and tries to help us sooo much.. He represents your company very well... We are fully understating that he might be away from time to time on Air Force bush bash exercise...

D :th_wink:

Bill Bailey
04-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Hello Bill ... 1%.. that in itself is a great feat.. Many companies would be happy to let that pass as acceptable, but not yours!.. Even this seems to warrant special attention... :th_love:

John and I have felt a little guilty at not understanding this from the beginning, so we have tried very hard to make this up to you.. .:blush:

John is often in contact with Anthony, he does a great job in costumer service and tries to help us sooo much.. He represents your company very well... We are fully understating that he might be away from time to time on Air Force bush bash exercise...

D :th_wink:

Hey Destiny,
Your words of gratitude says it all - enjoy and use your NN4 to it's fullest and we hope you'll share some panoramas here and share your in field stories.
We have many other support stories - just today we spoke with a guy on the phone who rented a NN5 from an online company (not a reseller - the company paid full price 2 years ago for there rental store). They sent him wrong parts and he called "us". We didn't have obligation to support the product but we offered next day service of correct knob at no cost to him due to his next day shoot. I really do try to put myself in the shoes of the customer and many times we go above and beyond what other companies would deem ridiculous but oh well. And then there was the time we spent $100 to get a $5 knob to customer in Botswana (forget actually where the guy was at but may have as well been) who dropped it in a river and so on and so on. Cases like this are rare (or we would go broke) but when the one off situation arises we enjoy stepping up to plate.

Cheers
Bill

Destiny
04-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Hello everyone.. I made an interactive graphic of the new NN4 to show how movable and adaptable it is.. Sorry, I made a few mistakes making it since we only have a little old Canon camera to take the shots and really yucky tripod to hold the camera on so it bounced about a little... We only have one good tripod and Nikon which are in the shots.. I will buy a different background and then make it again nicer one later.. :) A nice mountain scene would have been better but big posters are expensive... unless I find a nice location to do it.. emm..

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/NN4/NN4D90Destiny.html

Destiny...

Bill Bailey
04-22-2011, 06:02 AM
Hello everyone.. I made an interactive graphic of the new NN4 to show how movable and adaptable it is.. Sorry, I made a few mistakes making it since we only have a little old Canon camera to take the shots and really yucky tripod to hold the camera on so it bounced about a little... We only have one good tripod and Nikon which are in the shots.. I will buy a different background and then make it again nicer one later.. :) A nice mountain scene would have been better but big posters are expensive... unless I find a nice location to do it.. emm..

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/NN4/NN4D90Destiny.html

Destiny...

Nicely done!

Bill

Destiny
04-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Hi everyone... Today am so proud of myself... I uploaded my very first VR Tour using my new NN4 to take the photos.. I also achieved my first ever Nadir Patches.. In fact, the wooden step on the stair gallery was my very first... It looks great...!:clap: I made a few mistakes :sad: , but I managed to fix them. I need to create a check list of my images taken, since I left out two entire rows.. I managed to put my logo on the foyer at the top to fix that one, but the fist one into the top stairs I had to limit the pan since I forgot to do the top row of images as well as the Zenith... :sad:

My new NN4 worked flawlessly.... Really nice to use.. It just clicked into place so well.. I love it so much.

I will make a nicer interface later, but for now I just use the default graphics..

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/DPS/XtremeVRs/XtremeVRTour/XtremeHobbyVRTour.html

I hope it all works your end...

Destiny :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :clap:

Three60mktg
04-30-2011, 12:27 AM
hi guys,

i am very new to this Nodal Ninja pano heads.
When i saw the write up by fellow forum mates, i was impressed.

i am very excited abt this Nodal Ninja 4 and very eager to own one. i almost confirm the order for NN3 when i saw the NN4.

So i am very new to this.
is it ok that i can ask for some advise over here.
What is the difference btw the NN3 mkii and the NN4?

when we buy the nn4, with the RD16 rotator, do we still need to buy the detent ring separately?

thanks

Vincèn
04-30-2011, 12:49 AM
i am very new to this Nodal Ninja pano heads.
Welcome on board ! Feel free to post in the forum any questions or issues you might have :001_smile: Just a good way to do is to post a new thread and not post a new question in an existing thread :th_wink:

When i saw the write up by fellow forum mates, i was impressed.
i am very excited abt this Nodal Ninja 4 and very eager to own one. i almost confirm the order for NN3 when i saw the NN4.
So i am very new to this.
is it ok that i can ask for some advise over here.
What is the difference btw the NN3 mkii and the NN4?
Forum is there for advices, share ideas, tips.... Main difference between NN3 and NN4 is size of rails and sturdy. NN3 is mainly designed for small consumer cameras and smaller reflex with small lens (small in term of size). NN4 is designed for larger reflex, or reflex equiped with larger lenses (till 100mm it'll fit). NN4 includes also on upper rotator a stop click every 15º, so it's easier to setup.

when we buy the nn4, with the RD16 rotator, do we still need to buy the detent ring separately?
Definitively not ! detent rings are used only for basic rotator (avalaible on NN3 starter package, and first model of NN4). If you buy NN3 or NN4 with R-D8 or R-D16, you don't need rings, as setup is done by just moving a knob in a different hole on side of rotators.

Vincèn

Destiny
04-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Hi.. As you would have read above, I have just used my NN4 with RD16 Rotor and Nadir Adaptor to create my very first pano tour... I have so much confidence in using my NN4 now that I have susseeded so well.. I made some mistakes but that was not the fault of my NN4. I just got excited and forgot some rows.. But I managed to fix most of it.... Make sure you have a check list..:biggrin: To be honest, my setup is just perfect for me... Prior to creating this tour, my pano's were of my lounge and kitchen area.. I have little experience in this area but I can tell you that my NN4 made easy work for me.. I felt like i had been at it for years.. My NN4 performed really well.. It just clicked into place perfectly from Rotor to NN4 arms.. I would recommend you buy an easy leveller too.. As soon as I can I will.. I used a D90 with 10.5 fish eye lens but the D700 with 16mm fish eye would be really great with the NN4. A full frame camera is the way to go for sure... The scary bit was the nadir patch but the Nadir Adaptor works really well so buy one of those for sure... Check out my nadir patches.. My very first attempts so they can only get better....

If you buy the NN4 you will never regret it... you will enjoy using it for years... :001_smile:

Destiny Ninja No. 1 :biggrin:

hindenhaag
04-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Actually the decision for the model of the NN panohead you should decide for depends on the camera and the lenses you like to use. Nikon bodies like D3100, D5100, D90 will nicely work for NN3 MKII, D7000, D300s, D700, D3xxx will fit for the NN4, D700 D3xxx with longer or heavier lenses will fit for the new M1-L/S series which will be available soon.

NN3 MKII and NN4 standard rotator use the detent ring system to click to different numbers of stops. To change from 4 to 6 stops for example, you either have to open the rotator to turn the detent ring around or place a different detent ring inside.

When you like to change this on a RD4, RD8, RD16 rotator, you just have to change the small blue knob from one hole to the other done in a fly to get another number of stops. RD8 RD16 rotators are also compatible to the new M1 Series.

Have a look to the new beta release of the production selector in the other forum line. See Bills first comment to reach it.

Always feel free to ask.

Regards,
Heinz

vitaliy
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi everyone… I'm new to panorama shooting . I’ve tried to make 3D panorama
but without these impressive tools you’re writing about. So now I’m eager to
buy NN4 with RD16, but I need your advice. I have a Canon 5D markII,
lenses Canon 17-40, Canon 24-105 and want to know whether NN4 with RD 16
will work properly with them. Do I need to buy some additional tools or some
accessories to adjust their work?.
Thank you

hindenhaag
05-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Hi Vitaly, and welcome to the forum,

Yes, it will work. I checked it for 17-40, I do not have data for 24-105. LRS = lower rail setting for 5D MKII is 57, URS = upper rails setting for 17-40 is zoom @17 109.5, @28 107.5, @40 110.5 Mount the base plate of CP2 with the short side of the base plate to the back of your camera body.

Test your equipment:

http://www.easypano.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=4162

http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

Database used for your combo:

http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

For number of shots have a look to:

http://www.vrwave.com/panoramic-lens-database/canon/

http://www.frankvanderpol.nl/fov_pan_calc.htm

To find out about the rest is up to you.

I would add minimum the Nadir Adapter, Ez-Leveller II for easy leveling on the go.

Have a look to e-store.

Regards,
Heinz

Destiny
05-04-2011, 03:44 AM
NN4 + D90 + Nikon 10.5 Fisheye Lens + Quick Release Clamp = what setting for Nodal Point... I have seen so many ways of doing its.. including above the that suggest the lens to go way back past the gold ring on the lens yet other topics suggest JUST behind the 90...

I have tried ..... 30 degrees down, 45 up with a Zenith.. I have also tried 45 down 45 up plus a Zenith.. I also tired 30 + 30 with no Zenith.... I have found it all depend where the gold line is set which effects the angle used...

I was wondering what other have set their same as mine hardware up.. I am sure there must be someone with the same...

D..

hindenhaag
05-04-2011, 05:07 AM
D....

what quick release system do you use?

URS should be 83. Lower rails depends on the clamp.

Check www.easypano.... and www.Johnhpanos in my thread below to find the NPP. Once you have it, it does not matter how much you pitch up or down, you always move in NPP.

Heinz

Destiny
05-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Hi Heinz... I have my URS set at 83 on the increment shown on my QRS... By the way, what does URS mean..? I am using the Arca Style Quick Release System ASQRS2 ... I worked my settings from this web link...

http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

My Tripod mount height (H) is 42.8 mm - The QRS is 22mm wide from camera face to top rail face... The distance down from the face of the upper rail to the end of the Nadir Attachment is 2 mm.. To be honest, I don't see why they are not in line with each other.. Anyway... That adds up to 66.8 - I tried that and it was ok'ish.. but when I put the pano into ptp and looked at the Nadir... I have three logo... I am taking my images at 60 degrees.. I have always done it like that... I had better results with the lens set much more forward... Not sure what is wrong.... If I put the images into PTGui it says errors...

What do yo suggest I try now...

PS... I tried two rows of 2 with Zenith, first row with the tripod head in the frame is 30 degrees the second set at 30 up...
I then tried 30 down, 45 up with a Zenith and then
30 down 30 up with no zenith which is better... I have mostly done it this way... but with the lens set much more forward....

The image below is my logo.. not looking good...

D....

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/NinjaLogo.jpg

D....

what quick release system do you use?

URS should be 83. Lower rails depends on the clamp.

Check www.easypano.... and www.Johnhpanos in my thread below to find the NPP. Once you have it, it does not matter how much you pitch up or down, you always move in NPP.

Heinz

hindenhaag
05-04-2011, 10:24 PM
D...,

URS = upper rail setting, LRS = lower rail setting.

When I do not have the original equipment, I use the Wiki database as well. So for LRS you take (H), but you have to add the "offset of the long nose of the vertical rail to the top of the mounted CP-2". Mount CP-2 to the upper rail, flat side to the end of the rail. Set the upper rail to -90° = parallel to the vertical rail. Slide the top plate of CP-2 as close to the lower rail as possible. Now you can see the offset of the reference point of the vertical = long side of the foot to the topside of the CP-2. This is 13mm. It will be more with ASQRS2.

I am just rechecking my whole database for NN4, with CP-2 the LRS for D90 was 57, just "cover" the white mark.

Take this set up and take 6 shots around with pitch of -30°. Import to PTGuiPro, >align, >advanced, >optimizer, > set minimize.. to heavy+lensshift, >optimize, >del worst control point ( top bar), >Create panorama,choose .mov. You get a .mov file, move down to nadir and zoom in. You will get a view of the top of the rotator.

Now use the "hacksaw method" Smooth has set up. Optimize till you see a nearly round rotator. If you see teeth on it, check the side the tooth cuts to: flat side left = cuts to the left, move the vertical rail to the left by one mm. "Cuts to the right", move to the right. Recheck the new position by using workflow above: 6 around etc.

I will test QR later today.

Heinz

Destiny
05-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Hi Neinz... I did what you said and then put the images into PTGuiPro.. Perhaps this will work with a full frame camera but it did not work at all with my D90...

I assumed that 57 was + 22 for the QRC, that made it 77.. that way out... I then put it to 57, again way out.. The centre is 42.8 from the camera lens centre to the bottom face of the camera plus 22 for the thickness of the QRC.. I have tried it at 66.8 and 66... 66 was best... but it still is not right.. I will play with the 83 on the URS.... I am not sure why it is not working as well as it was.. I would like to get it right... its hard to do the saw tooth version, since my the Rotor is hard to see what is out... I must have tried it a hundred times.... I believe you are right that that the angle the camera is set at will not matter... as long as the Nadir Point is set right then the rest will follow...

D...

Destiny
05-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Hi Neinz... I just tried the 6 at 30 again... with new setting which is much better and I can really see if I had a full frame camera that this would probably be all I need.. There is only one spot where its blurry or bad stitching.. There is of course a huge black hole on my Zenith.. I then tried to do the same plus a Zenith but still big holes.. a full frame camera would be perfect I think.. So I will now try the same with two rows one at -30 second at +30.. see what happens.. but I need to get my point correct first... I do not think its out by much.. I am going to try, 65... I have already tried 66 and 67...

not easy to set this up is it..

bye

D...

Destiny
05-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Hey.. Well I tried it on 66 and 67 not good so I put it to 65.. This is my Nodal Logo... a real dogs dinner...

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/NodalLogo.jpg

Perhaps I will now try it at 68

D :(

hindenhaag
05-05-2011, 03:36 AM
D...

LRS D90 NN4 is 57 so that the foot just covers the white mark, ASQR-2 adds 11mm to the CP-s LRS. That should be 68.

D... till now I was just talking on how to find your lower rail settings. You have to shoot at -30° to see the head of the rotator to catch the "hacksaw".

To take the pano you could either shot 6x 0°, Z + 2x Nadir with Adapter. To avoid Z you could shoot +5°/+7.5° 6x around +2x N.

Shooting an extra Zenith gives a better result cause you use the center of the lens. Shooting +5°/+7.5° closes the zenith with the outer circle of the lens which is of less quality.

You can use the D90 set up to prepare a good template which you can fine tune with your equipment. Set manual CP the outer circle of the lens nicely in horizontal and in vertical. Having trouble I always start without Z and N and add them one by one. Don't forget to click the Viewpoint Tab in PTGui >optimizer>advanced> for Z + N.

But in first case you have to be sure about your correct LRS and URS settings.

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/filechute/D90NN4LRS.zip "Hacksaw Pics" of different LRS

Following up from 55 -57, you can see the hacksaw teeth changing on 57 white mark to be seen from right to left. So 57 tells me I have to move a little bit to the left. My experience told me it is very close, so I just moved to the left by covering the white mark, and you find the right LRS.

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/filechute/QR%20Offset%20from%20CP-2.zip Pic showing the offsets Cp-2 to different QRS

@all: ASQR2 - the Arca Style System adds 11mm to the CP-2 LRS, normal QRS adds 12mm to the CP-2 LRS, no matter used on NN3, NN4, or NN5.

http://homepage.mac.com/hindenhaag/filechute/D90_Nikkor%2010.5_f2.zip

Fisheye shots as mentioned several times before. 0°, +5/+7,5°, 2x +60° 180°vise versa, +90°, 2x Nadir with Nadir adapter.

Success,
Heinz

BTW: the LRS set up is taken with D90 10.5 NN4 and taken to PTGui. Nothing wrong with FX or DX body. PTGui reads EXIF as full frame fisheye.
Use LRS 68 and URS 81 and try again. Aperture 22.

hindenhaag
05-05-2011, 04:19 AM
D...

Your pic shows hacksaw cutting to the right, than you have to move to the right, from 66 to 68 or beyond till you see the saw cut changes from one side to the other.

http://web.me.com/hindenhaag/filechute/Hacksaw%20cuts%20to%20thr%20right.jpg

Heinz

Destiny
05-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Hi Heinz... Ok.. I set my NN4 to 83 on the URS and 68 on the bottom rail.. I took 6 -30 and 6 +30.. I put the images into apg and oh what a dogs dinner.. I have never had so many issues with this program. I am sure there is something amiss with the last upgrade download.. my problems began from then.. So I loaded my images into PTGui Pro and then did all you said with the optimiser, by the way, I did similar with apg and the image distorted like crazy.... I just deleted a single red control point and then it said I have to optimise so I did and it said something about lens distortion correction etc I then rendered the image and it was terrible.. But when I did the otimiser with PTGui it came up with 'good' so I created my pano an the results were quite good.. not perfect though.. Here is my head image.. perhaps you can tell me which way to move the bits..

Thank you

D...

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/LOGO.jpg

DennisS
05-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Destiny,

Looks like the left/right on the lower rail is very close if not right on. Now you have to adjust the upper rail. Since your rotator circle is "bumpy", you are showing too much rotator in the picture. Nudge the camera forward on the upper rail until you get the perfect circle. If the circle starts getting "pointy" you are too far forward.

After you hit the point, stitching will be much easier.

Dennis

Destiny
05-05-2011, 08:03 PM
hi Dennis... I fixed it.. ALMOST... Just a smidgin out... .... It can only be out by about .25 not sure which way so I will be careful....

Now I can do my Car VR.. hehe... that will be fun...

Thank you boys for all your help....

D...

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/PTGuiData.jpg

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/apgData.jpg

and apg

DennisS
05-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Destiny,

You could now play the game of deleting control points that have the biggest error until you get your maximum under 2. That would be a good exercise to go through just so you can see at what point your final stitched image starts to go bad.

Don't rely too much on the numbers, but more on the final image. You can be 1 or 2mm off and still get a good stitch. You have eliminated your rig as a cause for bad stitching. Now go out and perfect the rest of your workflow.

Dennis

Destiny
05-05-2011, 09:14 PM
2!!! oh man.. you are a hard man to please :biggrin:

I will do my best Dennis... for sure.. I am about to make my first Car VR.. My last tour was my very first and it worked great.. but then something went wrong.. I took my rig apart but forgot to tighten up my stops to save it all.. and I just didn't take a note of what my setting were.. oh how silly of me...

I will post my Car VR in the next few days I hope....

Thank you

D....

hindenhaag
05-05-2011, 11:03 PM
D...

did you try "control points" >delete worst control points after the first run of optimize? You should get a result around 2 max distance. I only shoot 6 around with -30° cause the panohead is the only thing I am interested in.

DennisS got it! "We only need the best results":rockon:

Think of taking your tours with a bad set up and bad stitching results. "We beat every price" on your website might then lead to you are paying the salary on your own by spending a lot of time to correct this.

Anyway, we like to see your car.

Enjoy and success.
Heinz:th_wink:

Destiny
05-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Hi Heinz... well yes.. I did try but when I loaded my 6 images into PTG it said Very Good.. I did not get the option to remove bad control points.. But the pano is no good to me since there is a huge black bit at the top... I only have a 10.5 fish eye.... what do you do about the zenith...??? and the big black bit...

D

Destiny
05-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Hello.. me again.. This image is the Nodal Logo from PTG.... Its almost perfect....

D....

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/LogofromPTGuiPro.jpg

Destiny
05-06-2011, 03:06 AM
Unfortunatly, we haven't had any paid jobs yet, the hobby shop we did was unpaid to get something for our web site.. Not sure what we would have changed for it anyway... We have sent out heaps of emails and been to see people but its very hard.. When I do a search on Google I am there for 360 Virtual Reality Tours and Destiny Photography studio as well as other searches.. I even have a paid advert "AdWords' to the right of Google ads part but not one single person has gone to our web site according to Google data for AdWords.. We are trying lots of things.. Soon our business card will arrive we hope.. Had to wait on a ABN number from the Tax man... We are hoping that the Car VR might be a good earner.. We have a good rig so we live in hope...

Today I contacted David Jones and Dick Smith to do a pano for free.... Having them on my web site would be nice but so far they have not replied.. Can't even give it away....

Bill Bailey gave me a hot link and there were only two others there who just said, ya I can do that.. We put a link to our web site and gave a nice intro letter but they didn't even respond.. When our card arrives we will do the walk about to business with our lap top... I guess if we try hard enoungh it will happen in the end.. Hope so...

I tried to do the car VR today but it need more thought... I want to make a really nice one and it will be.... guaranteed... :th_wink:

Destiny, No. One Ninja..

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/DestinyVirtualRealityTourSpecialist.jpg

D...

did you try "control points" >delete worst control points after the first run of optimize? You should get a result around 2 max distance. I only shoot 6 around with -30° cause the panohead is the only thing I am interested in.

DennisS got it! "We only need the best results":rockon:

Think of taking your tours with a bad set up and bad stitching results. "We beat every price" on your website might then lead to you are paying the salary on your own by spending a lot of time to correct this.

Anyway, we like to see your car.

Enjoy and success.
Heinz:th_wink:

DennisS
05-06-2011, 08:53 AM
2!!! oh man.. you are a hard man to please :biggrin:
Destiny,

I am referring to those who obsess about the numbers instead of looking at the final stitched panorama. After you do several panoramas and start to nail down your workflow, do not be surprised if you find the maximum control point distance always falls between 2 and 3 the first time you do "delete worst control points". After tweaking some more, the distance often falls below 2 with little effort. Not always, but on occasion. When I shoot panoramas using my monopod, a first crack number of 3 to 5 tells me that the panorama will stitch just fine. If the number starts at 10, I know that I am in for some work. When I bring in a hand held Nadir patch shot, the number always goes up. If the final stitch looks good, I ignore the maximum control point distance.

I look forward to seeing some of your work.

Dennis

hindenhaag
05-06-2011, 02:17 PM
D...., that's it. You got it. :clap:

Remember to write down your settings. Or tell us, we keep them for you.:wink:

I suppose you have to try to get some more "working for nothing jobs" to get reference jobs for your website.

Might be good as well to follow the thread about setting up a good contract on panoguide. This thread began with a pano in a restaurant and at the end there was discussion. The owner thought the restaurant in the pano is too empty. "Who has to bring the "Models" etc and "do you have to do it again for nothing?"

Anyway, success and let us see how it works.

We are free for further questions and we'll try to find an answer if we can.

Regards,
Heinz

Destiny
05-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Thank you for all your help.. It just needed tweaking... I am off today to a freebee Mercedes pano.. I have a great rig set up for it.. The most technically advanced part it all is a bucket of water to act like a weight to stop it all falling over....:biggrin:

My dad bought me my camera bag after I got my NN3 so it all fitted so nicely in my little bag.. But... the NN4 is longer so now it will not fit... :blush:.. Not to worry... its a much better pano head so one day I will buy a new bigger bag.. To go with my new full frame camera when I get rich.... :clap: $$$$$$$$$$

I have taken my NN4 apart.. I just love toying with it.. its a really nice thing to hold and fiddle with... :th_love: and works so well too... I made a cover shock for it... to keep the dust of it... :blush:

I hope the car vr works out so I can send you a link... I might even try bracketing ... never done that before...

Destiny No. 1 Ninja :th_wink:

D...., that's it. You got it. :clap:

Remember to write down your settings. Or tell us, we keep them for you.:wink:

I suppose you have to try to get some more "working for nothing jobs" to get reference jobs for your website.

Might be good as well to follow the thread about setting up a good contract on panoguide. This thread began with a pano in a restaurant and at the end there was discussion. The owner thought the restaurant in the pano is too empty. "Who has to bring the "Models" etc and "do you have to do it again for nothing?"

Anyway, success and let us see how it works.

We are free for further questions and we'll try to find an answer if we can.

Regards,
Heinz

hindenhaag
05-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi D...

Success.

http://public.fotki.com/haroldro/360-panoramic-photo/04810028.html You find some examples from this guy's car photos in the middles of the set up. He uses as a lot do an extra stand directly in front of the door to prevent his horizontal pole from bending down.

http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/8087/

Either you use a horizontal pole construction, or you use a mini tripod like this:

http://www.gitzo.us/product/72038.71837.72020.0.0/GT3320BS/_/Series_3_Aluminum_Systematic_2_Section_Baby_Tripod _wG-Lock or a similar one of Benro.

At the moment I would not buy a new camera body of Nikon, D800 < D700 might be out in august and D4? End of 2011 or begin D2012. So a lot of time for nice paid panos. Remember to think of the new lenses too. 16mm/f2.8, 14-24mm/f2.8......

May be you add one of the new poles in between with an R1, which works nicely with D90.

Regards,
Heinz

Destiny
05-08-2011, 02:21 AM
Hi there.. well.. my first car pano was not great.. the problem is... my little remote.. I need one with lead I think.. I need more control... at the moment if I set my camera to backeting it will not take the three images one after the other as if I kept my finger on the button.... I have to press the remote button each time and hope I don't miss one... then turn the pano head.. I need it to go click, click click...like when I hold my finder down.. I think my rig has merit but it needs refining.. I did similar to the image you sent but I only have one tripod.. The centre of my tripod comes up and then can drop over at 90 degrees. What I did was to use an extension pole which did not cost that much.. I bought that from Germany... I then bought an L bracket and it screwed at the end.. This way I can keep my NN4 upright as per normal.. It looks great resting on the dinning room table.. a nice long pole with my NN4 siting proudly on the end up the right way.. My tripod is light so someone had to hold it down to stop the weight pulling it all over, which was not an issue.. No problem in that... But... I was hoping to just poke the extension through the care window but it was too high in the car I tried it on. So I opened the door and put it just above the centre console. I did the pano all round using bracketed shots, two rows of 6 shots -30 +30. I then closed the door and took shots of the closed door for my Nadir patch. I took a few images for this.. I also took a few down to cover the extension pole coming over the passenger seat..

No real problems.. BUT.. Its the way my camera takes the bracketed shots.. I have to use my little remote but I have to take each shot pressing the button each time.. If I take a bracketed shot normally I just keep my finger on the button until the 3 shots have been taken.. I think part of the problem is, I have to take too many shots with my lens and camera..

I made the mistake of putting my camera to landscape when taking the Nadir patch shots.. silly me.. not to worry I am sure I can still use them to test it...

When I tried to stitch my bracketed shots in apg it was not that great.. PTGui Pro seems to handle it much better.. but the bracketed shots are not great.. I was about to put it down to my lack of skills in taking bracketed shots. The image below I took just after the pano set to backeting, which was supposed to be the image I use to put a hot spot on where the user clicks to enter the VR Tour.. I love the results.. Pity my Car VR did not come out as good... Not all lost,.. I will play with the images and see what I get..

I used Photomatix to turn my bracketed shots into a hdr image...
I like the idea of the small tripod, I really need to try that, but I need some kind of wireless controller to take the three images without any cables etc.. Then I can open the door and rotate the NN4.. Then I can take one shot for the Nadir patch which I know how to do... There are small bendy tripod which are not that expensive....

My issues are.... I need to work on my bracketing shots and find out how it can work better in apg .. It might be easier to use a neutral backdrop, that way I don't have to worry about outside.. just inside the car.. which by using PTGui I do not think it's a problem.. It detect bracketed shots automatically and made a much better job of stitching than apg.. The problem with the small tripod link you sent, oh wow, expensive.. never ending....!.. It might be better to remove the gear stick and poke my camera through the whole.. :biggrin:

Anyway.. here is my hdr of the car I took the pano of...

D...

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/mercedes.jpg

Hi D...

Success.

http://public.fotki.com/haroldro/360-panoramic-photo/04810028.html You find some examples from this guy's car photos in the middles of the set up. He uses as a lot do an extra stand directly in front of the door to prevent his horizontal pole from bending down.

http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/8087/

Either you use a horizontal pole construction, or you use a mini tripod like this:

http://www.gitzo.us/product/72038.71837.72020.0.0/GT3320BS/_/Series_3_Aluminum_Systematic_2_Section_Baby_Tripod _wG-Lock or a similar one of Benro.

At the moment I would not buy a new camera body of Nikon, D800 < D700 might be out in august and D4? End of 2011 or begin D2012. So a lot of time for nice paid panos. Remember to think of the new lenses too. 16mm/f2.8, 14-24mm/f2.8......

May be you add one of the new poles in between with an R1, which works nicely with D90.

Regards,
Heinz

hindenhaag
05-08-2011, 09:45 AM
D....

to shoot your bracketing shots in one go by pressing the shutter release knob, you have to set the camera to Hi speed or low speed shots. There is the small knob at the right side of the top window above AF : with the pages on it.

Though you have set the BKT settings with the BKT knob at the left side f the prisma, I suppose you now see a S in the right top corner of the small window. This means single shot. press the pages knob and use the back wheel and turn it to the right: 1- pages -L, second stop pages -H.
You have to set this to L or H, for the best L in first case, to shoot your shots in one go by pressing the shutter release and keep it hold down.

I suppose you had to release every single shot cause shoot modus was to set to S.

Always remember to set BKT and "pages" back to "off and S". Otherwise you might kill your next pano because you do not realize you still shooting in bracketing mode. And end up in around with different EV. Always check your pictures on sight after having done the pano. You can do it again. When you realize it on the mac at home, this is too late. I killed some of my work that way.

I serves to do some things before you leave: battery is charged, an extra charged in the box. Memory card formatted, second one in the box. Remote control in the box. Extra batteries for remote in the box. Plus: check the manual of the camera body if you want to do something which is new to you. For example bracketing. Specially when you work with different bodies.

First time I wanted to use Bracketing with D90 I failed, cause I did not know about the bloody "Pages" knob. Felt too secure having used different bodies D200, D700, D3.:blush:

Good luck,
Heinz

Destiny
05-08-2011, 11:28 PM
hi Heinz...

I know what you mean about the bracketing.. i could not find anything about it on the pdf help manual so I phoned them up. He had a D90 and the first thing the tech help asked me.. "So, where is the bracketing button on this thing"...!!... emmm.. I said its ok I will work it out and I did.. I don't have an issue with setting the bracketing, its the stupid remote.. It will not work on bracketing.. I cannot press the button when the camera is in the car, I need a remote.. Like I said, I probably need a more sophisticated one.. I might even buy the software where I can take the images using the laptop an then, even though its a D90, I can take up to about 12 bracketed shots if I wanted.. The only thing I have to be aware of is the cable .. When I set my D90 for rapid shots I cannot use the little remote..thats the problem.. I have to take them one by one. using the remote, take the three and then move the head.. real pain.... Not sure what wireless remotes there are or how much they cost....

My dad bought be a Canon G3 with Tripod a few years ago and I just dug the tripod out.. It might be good to take my VR with... its small and very adaptable... Now I have my nadir almost perfect I know I can take the images.. and they will stitch well... I just have to work on the issue of how to take the bracketed shots without pressing the button.. and... i have said it before, but I really need an easy leveller.. its so painful trying to level a bubble in a car..

Anyway.. more experimenting needed....

Destiny...

Destiny
05-11-2011, 01:53 AM
Hey.. pity the Nikon D90 does not have blue tooth.. Does anyone know of a good remote or wireless remote I can use to take a image with the camera inside the car.... I have mounted my NN4 nicely now on my pole.. My husband did the MacGyver thing.... When on a budget of $0.... its amazing what you can do with a wooden broom handle and a role of duct tape...

My dad is an engineer.. a good one too but now retired... He never liked the NN3 but he really likes my NN4... Well, 90% happy, he did mention a few things he would do to improve on it but thats an engineer talking.. He said that it would be something special to get the NN4 to be robotic in a limited way... he said with all the new small motors it might not be that hard.. I explained what movements I needed and he thought it can be done... He played with the lego robot and said it just needs a command brick similar fitted to the head... with two small motors.. Well.. not sure about any of that but its sounds cool.... Don't laugh but me and my mum made a night sock for my NN4... well.. its keeps the dust off it...!!

Destiny.. No. 1 Ninja..... :th_wink:

hindenhaag
05-11-2011, 02:26 AM
there are a lot of remotes:

I use Haehnel:

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=35&pId=35

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=64&pId=64
Nice to use a bubble leveler or GPS on top

Heinz

Destiny
05-11-2011, 03:31 AM
oh, thats a nice one.. Thank you so much for that.. and it is not that expensive.... for what it does...
As I understand, it can take continuos shots.. is that in the bracketing mode too...??

D..

I use Haehnel:

hindenhaag
05-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Yes, hold the shutter release down and the it fires the whole set and stops at the end. The two models mentioned in the links do the job you are looking for. May be you go for the second one, in case you go on shooting panos with flash like cameleer.

Do not take a Giga T Pro, you can shoot bulks but it does not stop at the end of the bracket set.

Heinz

Destiny
05-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Hi guys... Well, I managed to turn out a not too bad car VR...

http://www.destinyvirtualtours.com/CarVRs/DestinyCarVR.html

My dad has ordered the remote for me so I can do a car VR using Bracketing... The stitching is almost perfect, a REM of 3.7 but I can see just one bit where it did not stitch perfectly above the drivers door.. It can only get better from here on... I tried soooooo hard to achieve this car VR... So I hope you all like it....

So.. what do you think of my little car.. I even cleaned it for my prop... :biggrin:

Bill Bailey
05-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi guys... Well, I managed to turn out a not too bad car VR...

http://www.destinyvirtualtours.com/CarVRs/DestinyCarVR.html

My dad has ordered the remote for me so I can do a car VR using Bracketing... The stitching is almost perfect, a REM of 3.7 but I can see just one bit where it did not stitch perfectly above the drivers door.. It can only get better from here on... I tried soooooo hard to achieve this car VR... So I hope you all like it....

So.. what do you think of my little car.. I even cleaned it for my prop... :biggrin:

Nice work Destiny! Car interiors can be challenging due to lighting extremes. Also lots of pros and cons as to best placement of camera for the shoot. I have also heard of others laying a white sheet over the entire car to better light the inside and take away any distracting outside elements. If doing the white sheet you could also play around by adding in scenes like the car sitting on the moon :-)
thx for sharing - good to see you enjoying your NN4.

Bill

Destiny
05-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Hello Bill.. Nice to hear from you.... Thought you might be really busy promoting your new NN4 and other new products.. Hope they are doing as well or even better than you anticipated... I am sure they will since they just so beautifully made and finished..

Yes, I was thinking of a white background... I bought a Chroma Key Green screen sheet to redo the interactive animated NN4 better, but the green reflected on the paint of the NN4 so it was just too hard to do that way... I have done Green Screen before at school with my students in a very basic way. I have been chatting to a girl friend in Western Australia who has the NN3 and a brand new D700 and 16mm.. Fisheye... The bitch!!.. haha... Soooo jealous of her new camera.. Anyway, she made a white background for her car dealership pano job.. I keep asking her how it went but I do not think it was successful.. I suggested hiring a white marquee, same as they use for weddings. She could get them to drive the cars into it.. Not sure if that would work... Probably have to have some spare white clothe to pin on any shiny metal bits viewable from the windows.. I did think about a white sheet over the car but then I thought that the folds would cause a issue.. I will see if I can buy a cheap white king size sheet... emm.. might have to get my mum involved to do some needle and threading.. :th_wink: oh.. I just had a thought.. they make car covers just for the top to protect from the sun...keep the car cool inside... emmm.. I will check that out.....

Since my Green Chrome Screen did not work, I have ordered a nice poster of Phuket to do my interactive NN4 again... I just hope there is not too much shine in the poster.. :sad:... Plan 'E', find a nice scene around here somewhere.. Probably should have done that in the first place... :blush: Or... Perhaps I should do it with a moon background.. :th_wink:

Thank you for taking the time to view my first car VR.. Your NN4 was just perfect for this type of pano as was my D90 and 10.5 fisheye.. If I can create them quick enough I might even get steady work doing it... Particularly in the prestige car market, new and second hand since some second hand prestige cars are worth more than my kidneys.. I am saving my kidneys to sell to buy my new 3DX.. :biggrin: Even vintage cars would be good to do.. some of those are worth more than new..... I am trying to find someone with a nice yacht or boat.. That would make a nice pano.... Caravan camper.. so many ideas.... I will try them all....

Take care Bill....

Destiny, Your No. 1 Ninja Fan.. :th_love:

Nice work Destiny! Car interiors can be challenging due to lighting extremes. Also lots of pros and cons as to best placement of camera for the shoot. I have also heard of others laying a white sheet over the entire car to better light the inside and take away any distracting outside elements. If doing the white sheet you could also play around by adding in scenes like the car sitting on the moon :-)
thx for sharing - good to see you enjoying your NN4.

Bill

Destiny
05-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Hi Heinz.... Well.. my remote arrive.. the first link.. I hooked it up, turned it on... but nothing happens... If I put it on 4s timer I can see the red light flicker... and when I put it on the other setting I an see the red light go off once... but nothing happens .. I does not take a pic.. I have the camera set to 3 bracketed shots.. and to rapid high... Is there something I am supposed do with the camera settings...

D...

I use Haehnel:

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=64&pId=64
Nice to use a bubble leveler or GPS on top

Heinz

Vincèn
05-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Hi Heinz.... Well.. my remote arrive.. the first link.. I hooked it up, turned it on... but nothing happens... If I put it on 4s timer I can see the red light flicker... and when I put it on the other setting I an see the red light go off once... but nothing happens .. I does not take a pic.. I have the camera set to 3 bracketed shots.. and to rapid high... Is there something I am supposed do with the camera settings...
If it's a wireless one did you check if transmitter and receiver are on same channel ? generally you can change that with some tiny switches on back of each one or in battery compartment ;)

Vincèn

Destiny
05-16-2011, 02:08 AM
Yes Vincèn, I see that on the instructions.. but I do not understand it... it says 3 on the transmitter and 3 on the other thing on the camera.. but how do I make sure they are the same.... or set on 3.....

D

Destiny
05-16-2011, 02:22 AM
I have just realised that there was a film of plastic over the switches.. I set them both to 3... I then set my camera to continuos high shooting but nothing happened. I then tried the icon with remote but that did not work either.. emm... what can I be doing wrong....

D..

Vincèn
05-16-2011, 02:26 AM
I have just realised that there was a film of plastic over the switches.. I set them both to 3... I then set my camera to continuos high shooting but nothing happened. I then tried the icon with remote but that did not work either.. emm... what can I be doing wrong....
If you set your camera to regular mode one shot, does it work or not ?

Vincèn

Destiny
05-16-2011, 02:40 AM
No Vincèn... The red light is on.. if I press the other button the green light shows.. when I press the remote the red light flickers.. I have take bracketing off and I set it continuous and remote but it will not take a photo.. I can take the photo manually.. but not with the remote...

D...

Destiny
05-16-2011, 02:44 AM
When I press the remote button the green light flashes then the red.... but it does not take the photo...

D....

Vincèn
05-16-2011, 03:02 AM
Did you use the correct cable between receiver and cameras ? as often these remotes include multiple cables to fit with different cameras !

Vincèn

Destiny
05-16-2011, 03:14 AM
Yes Vincèn.. it came with three types cable.. I plugged it into the GPS since thats the only one that these cable will fit..

I looked at this forum and it said not to use the remote icon which I am not.. I have it set for continuous...

D

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&message=35335919&changemode=1

Vincèn
05-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Yes Vincèn.. it came with three types cable.. I plugged it into the GPS since thats the only one that these cable will fit..
Wrong ! I never succeeded myself to get a remote working when connected through a GPS to Camera ! Plug the received directly on camera and it should work fine :) Which camera do you have ?

Vincèn

Destiny
05-16-2011, 03:50 AM
I have the D90.. but none of the other cables will fit in any other connection point... I have three cables that came with it.... oh hum... I think I need a different cable...

Wrong ! I never succeeded myself to get a remote working when connected through a GPS to Camera ! Plug the received directly on camera and it should work fine :) Which camera do you have ?

Vincèn

Vincèn
05-16-2011, 03:55 AM
I have the D90.. but none of the other cables will fit in any other connection point... I have three cables that came with it.... oh hum... I think I need a different cable...
I have a D90 and remote is supposed to be plugged in same square connector as GPS (the one labelled GPS) so you have to use either the remote or the GPS ! So you should have a connector for your remote compatible with that socket ;)

Vincèn

Destiny
05-16-2011, 04:02 AM
but you said above that it was wrong.. the only cable that I have that will fit in anything is the GPS... emmm.. so confusing... Its supposed to be for the D90... why is it sooo hard... Perhaps there is something on the control panel to tell the camera that that its not a gps but a remote instead....

D....

Vincèn
05-16-2011, 04:07 AM
but you said above that it was wrong.. the only cable that I have that will fit in anything is the GPS... emmm.. so confusing... Its supposed to be for the D90... why is it sooo hard... Perhaps there is something on the control panel to tell the camera that that its not a gps but a remote instead....
ok so sorry if my explanations were not clear :th_cool: You should plug remote receiver directly on D90 GPS port and not through the GPS unit remote connector ! You have absolutely nothing to setup on camera, it should work immediately once plugged on camera (just switch off and back on camera once plugged and that's it !)

Vincèn

Destiny
05-16-2011, 04:31 AM
but I do not have a GPS ... I only have this wireless remote with the GPS connector type cable end. which I plugged into the GPS port on the camera... but it does not work..

D..

Destiny
05-16-2011, 04:38 AM
I press the remote down a bit and the green light comes on.. I then press it fully down and the red light comes on.. which is supposed to be how it work... but it doesn't take a photo....

emm..

Vincèn
05-16-2011, 04:40 AM
but I do not have a GPS ... I only have this wireless remote with the GPS connector type cable end. which I plugged into the GPS port on the camera... but it does not work..
Hum I'm out of ideas there :( Perhaps you should ask shop where you bought it !

Vincèn

Destiny
05-16-2011, 04:43 AM
I think I might have a dodgy one... that will be right.. I am certain that the button on the top of this remote you can use as a test... Press it down a bit and the green light comes on and then fully down and the red light comes one.. but still no photo.....

D...

Destiny
05-16-2011, 04:44 AM
I bought it online...

Hum I'm out of ideas there :( Perhaps you should ask shop where you bought it !

Vincèn

Vincèn
05-16-2011, 04:54 AM
I think I might have a dodgy one... that will be right.. I am certain that the button on the top of this remote you can use as a test... Press it down a bit and the green light comes on and then fully down and the red light comes one.. but still no photo.....
Do you see something that changes on upper display of D90 when you use the test button of the receiver ? same as when half-pressing the original shutter button of the D90 ? If nothing changes receiver is pretty faulty !

Vincèn

Destiny
05-16-2011, 05:09 AM
No Vincèn, nothing shows on that screen.. When I put the front panel to that screen nothing shows on that either... I bought it from this mob.. I have just sent them an email. I think I have dodgy one.. Sorry of my life...
http://gerrygibbscamerawarehouse.com.au/index.php?main_page=contact_us&action=success

Do you see something that changes on upper display of D90 when you use the test button of the receiver ? same as when half-pressing the original shutter button of the D90 ? If nothing changes receiver is pretty faulty !

Vincèn

Destiny
05-16-2011, 05:12 AM
You know.. my worry is its my D90.. the GPS port might be dodgy itself... oh dear... .. I have never plugged anything into that before...

D...

Destiny
05-16-2011, 05:13 AM
You know.. my worry is its my D90.. the GPS port might be dodgy itself... oh dear... .. I have never plugged anything into that before...

D...

hindenhaag
05-16-2011, 08:44 AM
D...

Just see your questions about the remote control: you got the HW 433 N80 right?

The default settings of the channels are set to work on all channels. All down opposite of the white numbers.

It should work. There are two possible problems concerning the cables:

1 - The connection from the basic cable to the camera specific cable. There is a "double click" safety construction inside the socket. I remember at first use I had a problem to fully insert the plug into the socket. You have to push hard to connect completely. Cause I often use the remote on different camera bodies, and it was hard to separate the cable to set in another type, I filed down the ring on the plug to make it a bit smaller. Now it goes in smoother and can be better disconnected. Cause you do not have to disconnect the two parts of the cable at the moment, just try to be sure they are really connected. At the first "stop" when you insert the cable it seems to be fixed, but it is not connected. There has to be a "hard click" to connect in the right way.

2 - The camera plug: it has very tight fit as well and you have to fix it to the camera body that you nearly can not see the silver metal outside the camera body connection. When it is not connected deep in it, the remote won't work as well. Specially tight in D7000.

At least you should check the batteries.

But I feel it is more the problem with the cables connections.

Hope this helps and you can shoot a nice new car pano with bracketing shots.

Thx Vincen for your help to step in.

Regards,
Heinz

Destiny
05-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi... Yes the connection into the GPS socket was tight and hard to take out its in and ok.. The split connection is also fixed in ok... All cables are tight and in as far as they will go.. When I press the remote button partly down, the green light will come on the receiver.. then I press it all the way down and the red light comes on as if its taking a photo but it doesn't... There seems to be a test button on the top, same thing happens when I press that... My setting are to continuous shooting in manual.. When the camera is just sitting there, the red light flashes on and off as if in standby on the receiver... Not sure if the camera has to sit on standby for a little while to change the battery fully from my camera battery.. Its a nice little unit for sure but it doesn't work, perhaps I can use it to keep the door open.. :th_wink:

I have sent an email to the mob who sold it to me... They seem to be an ok company but I have never bought anything from them before... So I will see if their customer service is a wonderful as Bill Bailey's.. :th_love:

Destiny....

D...

The default settings of the channels are set to work on all channels. All down opposite of the white numbers.

1 - The connection from the basic cable to the camera specific cable. There is a "double click" safety construction inside the socket. I remember at first use I had a problem to fully insert the plug into the socket. You have to push hard to connect completely. Cause I often use the remote on different camera bodies, and it was hard to separate the cable to set in another type, I filed down the ring on the plug to make it a bit smaller. Now it goes in smoother and can be better disconnected. Cause you do not have to disconnect the two parts of the cable at the moment, just try to be sure they are really connected. At the first "stop" when you insert the cable it seems to be fixed, but it is not connected. There has to be a "hard click" to connect in the right way.

2 - The camera plug: it has very tight fit as well and you have to fix it to the camera body that you nearly can not see the silver metal outside the camera body connection. When it is not connected deep in it, the remote won't work as well. Specially tight in D7000.

Regards,
Heinz

Destiny
05-16-2011, 02:31 PM
emm... I got so excited that my remote arrived yesterday and so did my really cool business cards to I a car dealership I would be coming round this morning to take a car pano of a brand new car....This will allow me to create a really nice pano... Only to find that out my remote might be dud... oh hum.... what a pain in the b.....

D...

Destiny
05-16-2011, 02:44 PM
"ITS WORKING"!!!!!!!!! Its what you said Heinz, that stupid joining cable.. oh man its tight.. I thought it was strange that the connection into the GPS was soooo tight and very hard to take out.. but the connection of the two cables was just fitting in.. So my dad pushed like crazy and CLICK!!!.. The look on both our faces was really funny.. I then turned it all on and BAM! I clicked away....:clap::clap::clap:

Thank you guys for helping me so much... Stupid thing should never be that tight... How on earth could I take them apart again.. might strip the wires out...

Oh so happy....:clap:

Destiny No.1 Ninja....:th_wink:

D...

Regards,
Heinz

Destiny
05-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Well.. since I was on a high, I dressed up really smart and went to see the new car dealership and they said NO... They wouldn't even let me do a freebee for my own portfolio.. they said they have their own marketing team/department for this... So I went to see VW car dealership and the guy was nice to me but he didn't even want to look at my VR demo, he said he did not have time... If I was buying a car he would have time... There were 3 guys sitting there with elbows wearing out on their desk but they did not have time.... I gave him my beautiful business card but I bet that went into the bin... emm... all dressed up with no where to go...:crying:

I will go and see a second hand car dealership, they might be better.... There is a big one about half an hour from us...

D...

Destiny
05-17-2011, 01:16 AM
Hi Heinz, you will be pleased to know that my wireless remote works really well...I tested it on bracketed shots.. That was good advice to buy it..... just a little glitch to get it going... It looks really cool too.. I received an email from the company that sold it to me, saying they will get back to me... i will wait and see what support they might have provided to me before telling them its all ok.. I might need to buy something else from them one day or recommend them to someone else... I will make sure have good customer service... very important to us...

D..

sheep_go_baa_baa
06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi Destiny, I'm just starting out on all this Virtual Tour business.....just a question....I have also bought the NN4 but have a D7000 and the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye.....do you suggest I buy the EZ leveller as well as the Nadir adapter?.....I thought I had it cracked until I did a 'complicated' room with tiles and lots of lines on the floor and realised that I didn't at all!.....I think I have it set up for the nodal point but wondering if the problem is the leveling....I have spent sooooo much money recently and was wondering if I really need these two bits of equipment??!!!! I will happily buy them but if I don't have to I don't want to as my finances aren't unlimited!

Thankyou....

The Sheep (aka Neil)

Destiny
06-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Hi... Well I personally would buy these two items but I do not have the EZ leveller yet, so I cannot tell you about that.. but I intend to buy it soon... its been on the 'to buy list' for a while now... but baby's needs comes first.. The NN4 is a wonderful pano head... I love using it... As long as you have your NNP set right then no prob... The nadir adaptor is a really nice thing... well made and works great.. I use it all the time to do my nadir patch image, with no problems...

I am curious... why did you choose the D7000... I have the D90, which is a lot cheaper and is built for the 10.5 fisheye... When I can afford it, I will buy the D700 which is the cheapest full frame camera, but that will not be a while off yet.... I am waiting for a rich guy to become bored with his Nikon 3DX and donate it to me... At the moment I have my left kidney on ebay to swop for it... :blush:

If you did a tiled room, then very easy.. There are heaps of stitch links for the software to find... I love tiles... Easy to stitch.

Destiny... NN4 No. 1 ...:biggrin:

Hi Destiny, I'm just starting out on all this Virtual Tour business.....just a question....I have also bought the NN4 but have a D7000 and the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye.....do you suggest I buy the EZ leveller as well as the Nadir adapter?.....I thought I had it cracked until I did a 'complicated' room with tiles and lots of lines on the floor and realised that I didn't at all!.....I think I have it set up for the nodal point but wondering if the problem is the leveling....I have spent sooooo much money recently and was wondering if I really need these two bits of equipment??!!!! I will happily buy them but if I don't have to I don't want to as my finances aren't unlimited!

Thankyou....

The Sheep (aka Neil)

Destiny
06-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Hello to the kind person in Hong Kong who sent me a cork washer for between my Rotor to tripod.... but oh so sad... it arrived in 3 bits... :crying: My hubby is going to try to glue it back together....

Destiny... NN4 No. 1:th_love:

John Houghton
06-22-2011, 11:45 PM
I think I have it set up for the nodal point but wondering if the problem is the leveling....
I can confidently assure you that your stitching problems have nothing at all to do with the levelling of the tripod. You can mount your panohead on a ball head tilted at 45 degrees and the images will still stitch just as accurately. If your panohead is truly set up well, then the stitching problems will be down to your use of the stitching program.

John

sheep_go_baa_baa
06-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Well thanks for the advice there....just saved me some money! I have ordered the Nadir adapter now so will try it very soon when it arrives.
Destiny...I chose the D7000 after reading so many good reviews about it...but one of the main reasons I went for it over the D90 was the in-built intervalometer as I really want to try some time lapse movies (nothing to do with the business but have wanted to give it a go for ages)....it was a case of 'in for a penny in for a pound' as it's my first SLR...so I have so much learning to do!
Just spent all afternoon trying to set up the NN4 to get it perfect...tried following tutorials....hopefully I have finally mastererd it as it took me nearly 20 long attempts (who the hell said it was easy - or am I just thick?!!! lol)

thanks for the replies!

Neil.

Destiny
06-23-2011, 04:04 PM
My dad is an engineer so he likes measurements.. There is heaps of content with measurements of where the lens and bar should be paced but I have fond thats its only a guide... I am still fine tuning my nadir point so don't worry about it... Capturing a pano outside and stitching it is a lot easier than inside... I also looked at the D7000 but decided on the D90 for lots of reasons... When I can afford it, I will probably buy the D700 since that is the lowest price fx full frame camera... A full frame makes so much difference... I will also buy a good wide angle lens.... The D700 will fit nicely on my NN4 too....

Destiny

Destiny
06-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Yes, I think Time-Laps photography would be fun if you were into that.. however, did you know that there is software that can do that much better and with more control.... I have NKRemote which can also do Green Chroma Screen and up to 15 bracketed shots.... The shadows are much more natural and softer with more bracketed shots..

I still would have bought the D700 over the D7000 for the fx feature....

One day..... when I get rich..... ;)

Destiny...

Well thanks for the advice there....just saved me some money! I have ordered the Nadir adapter now so will try it very soon when it arrives.
Destiny...I chose the D7000 after reading so many good reviews about it...but one of the main reasons I went for it over the D90 was the in-built intervalometer as I really want to try some time lapse movies (nothing to do with the business but have wanted to give it a go for ages)....it was a case of 'in for a penny in for a pound' as it's my first SLR...so I have so much learning to do!
Just spent all afternoon trying to set up the NN4 to get it perfect...tried following tutorials....hopefully I have finally mastererd it as it took me nearly 20 long attempts (who the hell said it was easy - or am I just thick?!!! lol)

thanks for the replies!

Neil.