NN3 mk2 with nadir adapter [Archive] - Nodal Ninja Forum

PDA

View Full Version : NN3 mk2 with nadir adapter

LeChuck
03-20-2011, 03:08 AM
Hello,

I'm considering purchasing the nadir adapter even though it's pretty expensive to get it here in France.

I'm wondering about something: looking at how it mounts, it doesn't seem that it would require changing the camera position settings on either the lower or vertical rail, but I've read a quick test somewhere which pretended that the top rail settings have to be changed. This doesn't seem logical to me as I don't see why the higher position would demand a setting change, as the camera is still rotating around the same point anyway.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

Vincèn
03-20-2011, 03:30 AM
Hi,

In fact if you use the nadir adapter on NN3 you'll need to move forward vertical rail on lower rail to the center of 7mm when you use Nadir Adapter with rail stops :) It's due to way vertical rail is built and difference of size between NN3 and NN5 version. No change of settings needed on upper rail ;)

Vincèn

En français:
Si vous utilisez l'adaptateur nadir sur une NN3, vous devrez décaler la fixation du bras vertical sur le bras horizontal de 7mm vers le centre en raison du rail vertical de la NN3 fait différemment de celui de la NN5, et le fait que l'adaptateur Nadir est principalement conçu pour la NN5 ! Aucun changement de réglage en revanche sur le bras supérieur où est fixé l'appareil photo :)

LeChuck
03-20-2011, 03:35 AM
(keeping it in English for everyone's benefit) Hmmm, this is still strange to me because on the photos of the setup, I can see that the front of the nadir adapter is flush with the front of the vertical rail. On my pano head, I use the plastic stop in front of the vertical rail, so it looks like the front edge of the nadir adapter will be in the same position as the front (long) edge of the vertical rail...

EDIT: oh, I'm just understanding now. The photos are showing the NN5, and not the NN3? The base of the vertical rail has a different dimension on the NN5, and so mine would not be flush as it shows on the photographs...is that right?

LeChuck
03-20-2011, 03:39 AM
Actually, what is the length of the nadir adapter? I'm afraid it might not even fit on the bottom rail of my NN3...

PS: je viens de passer commande chez toi. Il était indiqué en réassort hier je crois...On verra bien si ça fonctionne sans problème.

Vincèn
03-20-2011, 03:56 AM
(keeping it in English for everyone's benefit) Hmmm, this is still strange to me because on the photos of the setup, I can see that the front of the nadir adapter is flush with the front of the vertical rail. On my pano head, I use the plastic stop in front of the vertical rail, so it looks like the front edge of the nadir adapter will be in the same position as the front (long) edge of the vertical rail...
EDIT: oh, I'm just understanding now. The photos are showing the NN5, and not the NN3? The base of the vertical rail has a different dimension on the NN5, and so mine would not be flush as it shows on the photographs...is that right?
You got it :) you understood why you'll need to move it forward few millimeters on NN3 to keep your settings correct :clap:

Vincèn
03-20-2011, 03:57 AM
Actually, what is the length of the nadir adapter? I'm afraid it might not even fit on the bottom rail of my NN3...
It'll fit on NN3. What are current settings you use on lower rail ?

PS: je viens de passer commande chez toi. Il était indiqué en réassort hier je crois...On verra bien si ça fonctionne sans problème.
En fait c'est dispo en stock :001_smile: c'est juste la boutique où les stocks étaient pas à jour mais depuis heir tout est ok :001_smile: Tu as passé ta commande quand ? ça me dit rien :closedeyes:

Vince

Edit: oups tu viens de passer ta commande :biggrin: ça partira demain au courrier donc livraison mercredi chez toi :001_smile: merci

LeChuck
03-20-2011, 03:58 AM
Yeah, I didn't realize the product photos had the NN5. That said, it's not a problem as it's a fixed change. I can do that without having to redo all the testing and setup. Since it will move forward a bit, the adapter should fit fine.

LeChuck
03-20-2011, 04:01 AM
It'll fit on NN3. What are current settings you use on lower rail ?

En fait c'est dispo en stock :) c'est juste la boutique où les stocks étaient pas à jour mais depuis heir tout est ok :) Tu as passé ta commande quand ? ça me dit rien :/

Vince

Edit: oups tu viens de passer ta commande :D ça partira demain au courrier donc livraison mercredi chez toi ;) merci

Yes, I just placed the order a few minutes ago. I had previously ordered the new camera plate, which works great.

The setting on my lower rail has the front edge of the vertical rail around 4.85mm. I use a Panasonic GH2 with 7-14mm lens, so the setup is pretty compact.

Vincèn
03-20-2011, 04:04 AM
The setting on my lower rail has the front edge of the vertical rail around 4.85mm. I use a Panasonic GH2 with 7-14mm lens, so the setup is pretty compact.
4.85cm you mean no ?

Vincèn

hindenhaag
03-20-2011, 04:09 AM
Hi guys,

just have a look : http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/nadiradapterQRG_full.pdf

Heinz

LeChuck
03-20-2011, 04:34 AM
Yes, of course, 4.85cm, sorry :)

LeChuck
03-20-2011, 04:36 AM
Thanks for the manual link Heinz! I wish I had found the earlier. Makes a lot more sense now :)

Vincèn
03-20-2011, 04:51 AM
just have a look : http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/nadiradapterQRG_full.pdf
Thanks Heinz for link, shame on me, didn't notice we had now a manual for Nadir adapter :blush:

Vincèn

hindenhaag
03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
We know you are very busy and right now it is a chance to show on how to take panos with NN equipment in very special places. We learn a lot looking to your panos.
That's what this forum is known for: quick response, by owners, members, to try to get users on their way.

Heinz

LeChuck
04-02-2011, 04:05 AM
Unfortunately the nadir adapter doesn't quite fit for me. This is because my camera is compact, and there isn't enough space in front of the adapter to fit the plastic stop if I move it 6mm. It then comes into contact with the top part of the rotator on the NN3-2. There's just about 1mm missing. I could grind the plastic stop to make it narrower I guess or find another way to rig this.

I have also been thinking about getting the EZ Leveler 2 with the included rotator for a while, and that setup would also remove the top part of the NN3's rotator I believe.

hindenhaag
04-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Do you mean the plastic stop on the lower rail to remember lower rail setting position? You can remove the plastic stop on the rail, you only need it if you change LRS positions several times or take off the vertical rail. You can fix the Nadir adapter without this stop in front to rotator side.

Did I understand you right?

Using RD3-L you have to strip the lower rail: take off upper and lower part of standard rotator and tke off detend ring and the yellow center screw. Then fix the black plate of the mounting set with the outstanding pins to the anti twist holes on top of the new rotator. Use the screw coming with the set 3/8"-6mm to fix the lower rail from top, then add the logo screw to top of screw. This indeed has a smaller diameter than the original standard rotator.

Heinz

LeChuck
04-02-2011, 05:02 AM
Yes, the plastic stop for the lower rail position. I need the stop to be able to take the upper rail on or off quickly, and I don't want to have to eyeball the position setting each time. I always take off the vertical rail to transport the pano head inside my bag.

hindenhaag
04-02-2011, 05:56 AM
This is what you need to fix the RD3-L to lower rail: http://store.nodalninja.com/products/Install-Kit--RD8-RD16-on-NN3.html

Is there room enough to set the stop plate to the side opposite of the rotator below the nadir adapter? I can check it tonight or tomorrow. What is your LRS?

Heinz

BTW just checked the thread: 4,85. So you would end up with 4,25. This should leave you enough room for the plate on rail setting near 9,0.

Check the manual to see that the end of the Nadir Adapter is higher and leaves free space below it.

http://www.nodalninja.com/Manuals/nadiradapterQRG_full.pdf

Stop plate is set to 50. When the reference point of the adapter moves forwards for around 8mm, the end of the outstanding part of the adapter which touches the inside of the lower rail should sit near 82. The rest of the rail should be free to place the stop plate to this end of the lower rail. Otherwise you should shorten it a little bit.

LeChuck
04-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Good thinking Heinz, I totally forgot that there was space under the adapter. It should fit there. I was trying to make the change while keeping the stop setting intact. Too bad I don't have a third stop :)

DennisS
04-02-2011, 08:09 AM
LeChuck,

This thread contains great information on how to use the Nadir adapter.
http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/showthread.php?3994-Nadir-Adapter&highlight=nadir+adapter

Dennis

hindenhaag
04-02-2011, 09:09 AM
You can buy an extra one: http://store.nodalninja.com/products/NN3-MKII-Rail-Stops.html

LeChuck
04-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the links. I've looked up all the information I could on that. Just haven't had the time to do much lately.