PDA

View Full Version : which lens ???

billjones
01-23-2011, 05:38 PM
I have the nn5 with 16 rotator. My interest is primarily large auditoriums (Cathedrals, Mosques, temples etc.). I want to get into the corners etc. I use a canon 5d. What focal length lens would you use for the greatest detail. I can stitch and present giga bit pano's. I use Realviz and autopano giga along with autotour coupled with krpano.

Also should I stick with a set focus with a reasonable dof or mix auto focuses images. (even auto focus would be at the same aperture.)

hindenhaag
01-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Following different forums this is what you should think about:

Canon 15mm fisheye, new 8-15mm fisheye expected in march 2011, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8mm.

I use Nikkor 50mm and 70-200mm as well. (I am Nikonian) RD 16 will handle this.

Plus have a look to this:

http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/showthread.php?4279-My-first-panorama-of-2011

Heinz

nick fan
01-24-2011, 02:14 AM
You can get some insights here.
http://panoramas.dk/
check out especially this one
http://panoramas.dk/2010/howto-make-royal-pano.html

Nick

billjones
01-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks Nick,

(for others reading, the Canon 5d is full frame)

I already have the sigma 8mm I use for 4-6 shot pano's. I use my 24-105 at 24 for 36 shot pano's which gives me much more zoomable detail.

Here is what I done so far. http://rhmpano.com/gallery3/index.php/Bill-and-Francene/Panoramas

These have evolved over a couple of years so the quality and method of projection has improved (I hope). In the churches the tours are interlinked so you can navigate from one area to another. Usually the main body of the church, or cathedral is a 36 shot with the other areas 4 shot 8mmm images. I use krpano in the churches and they are tiled (like zoomify on a flat image, I use it as well). Here you can see the limits of the zoom with the 8mm and the increased detail of the 24mm.

I want to improve the 24mm shots. I have not yet tried my 100mm fixed focal yet. It would take 400+ shots to do a full sphere, but I can arrange for the time to do it. I do not have a 50mm fixed to work with, I can set my 24-105 to 50 but I know that a cheap fixed 50 will be sharper then my 'L' zoom. So I think my question is 'for the best zoomable detail in an indoor room ( auditorium, mosque, cathedral etc.) where I can take the time for multiple shots, what would be the recommended focal length?

The immediate problem I can see with the 100mm would be focus settings. The down tilted rows would probably require a refocus per row untill infinity would cover the rest of the building. But the detail you could get out of the rafters, etc would be fantastic.

hindenhaag
01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi Bill,

did you ever think about taking a 10,1" netbook, adding helicon remote and using Helicon focus at home for every single shot in a row. I know it takes time and a big cf card. I had a quick walk through your panoramas. Very well done. Pleasure to walk through.You seem to be in the happy situation to shoot in places without people walking around.

Might be Samyang 85mm/f1.4 might be interesting as well. Very good optical quality for very reasonable price.

Regards,
Heinz

billjones
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
I think I need to borrow a 50mm prime. with the 24-105 set at 50 my bottom row is 50% rotator (down 75 degrees). The prime would move the camera forward on the upper bracket (I think)

hindenhaag
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Upper rail setting for nikkor 50mm/f1.4 is 38 on NN5 with D3. This one of the few settings for a lens you have to use the short side of the CP-2 base plate to the front.

Heinz

nick fan
01-25-2011, 08:41 AM
I want to improve the 24mm shots. I have not yet tried my 100mm fixed focal yet. It would take 400+ shots to do a full sphere, but I can arrange for the time to do it. I do not have a 50mm fixed to work with, I can set my 24-105 to 50 but I know that a cheap fixed 50 will be sharper then my 'L' zoom. So I think my question is 'for the best zoomable detail in an indoor room ( auditorium, mosque, cathedral etc.) where I can take the time for multiple shots, what would be the recommended focal length?

The immediate problem I can see with the 100mm would be focus settings. The down tilted rows would probably require a refocus per row untill infinity would cover the rest of the building. But the detail you could get out of the rafters, etc would be fantastic.

No one but you can answer your question. It depends on how much details you need and how much effort you are willing to spend on the pano.
For longer focal length, you need to do focus blending or stacking. Helicon Focus, tufusepro, enfuse, and Combine ZP are some useful software. PS CS4/5 also has this function.

Nick