PDA

View Full Version : How much for a virtual tour?

VinkoCM
12-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Hello there,

My question is nice and short: how much would you charge for a virtual tour? I know this is a complicated thing to explain because of the many variables. But take for example these 2 sample tours from tourweaver:
1. http://www.easypano.com/gallery/tourweaver400/tourweaver_hotel.html
2. http://www.easypano.com/gallery/tourweaver400/tourweaver_LijingGarden.html
How much would YOU charge if you had to produce the same product? Do you have a formula for this? Maybe something like X amount of $$ per image/spot + X amount for the tour). Have any of you ever created tours and 'sold' them?

badders
12-04-2010, 01:17 AM
It's a standard question that gets asked many times by people wanting to make a business out of virtual tours. All I can tell you is this: If you want to run a business it's not "how much to charge" you ask yourself, it's "how much profit must I create each month to survive?". It's that simple. So the point is, I could tell you "you should charge 100 per tour" but that is meaningless. If your overheads are high and if you want to holiday in the Bahamas each year then you will need to charge more than if you live in a caravan and eat out of tins...

Here's a couple of great links from Scott Highton on how to charge for a VR business:
http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/onlinetools/onlinetools.html#photofeescalcanchor
http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pages/askexperts/business/pricingvr.html

Bill Bailey
12-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Hello there,
My question is nice and short: how much would you charge for a virtual tour? I know this is a complicated thing to explain because of the many variables. But take for example these 2 sample tours from tourweaver:
1. http://www.easypano.com/gallery/tourweaver400/tourweaver_hotel.html
2. http://www.easypano.com/gallery/tourweaver400/tourweaver_LijingGarden.html
How much would YOU charge if you had to produce the same product? Do you have a formula for this? Maybe something like X amount of $$ per image/spot + X amount for the tour). Have any of you ever created tours and 'sold' them?
Badders is absolutely right. You could also see what others doing and charging in your area. Prospective clients could be shopping rates.
Bill

VinkoCM
12-04-2010, 08:56 AM
You make an excellent point badders and I could not agree with you more. I don't want to create a business because I already have too much on my plate. I am currently a web developer and I also cook in my family's restaurant so I have plenty of work.

The reason I ask is because I will be going to Argentina this January and February for holidays with my family where we stay in my grandmother's home and we take it easy. While there, I continue to work on my clients' websites and I try to find new clients there. I was thinking of offering to large hotels and some of the tourist attractions a package that contained a website and a virtual tour. So my idea is to supplement my web design business with an option of virtual tours, but only for those 2 months.

I was actually thinking between $10-$20 per scene. I guess that sounds very low, but there are a few things to take into consideration: 1. I have very little experience; 2. People in Argentina are slow on accepting new and innovative services; 3. Money does not fly around down there like in north America. So what do you think?

badders
12-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Forget it.

VinkoCM
12-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Forget it.

Why so? I guess I have no idea what I am doing.

Bill Bailey
12-05-2010, 07:30 AM
You make an excellent point badders and I could not agree with you more. I don't want to create a business because I already have too much on my plate. I am currently a web developer and I also cook in my family's restaurant so I have plenty of work.

The reason I ask is because I will be going to Argentina this January and February for holidays with my family where we stay in my grandmother's home and we take it easy. While there, I continue to work on my clients' websites and I try to find new clients there. I was thinking of offering to large hotels and some of the tourist attractions a package that contained a website and a virtual tour. So my idea is to supplement my web design business with an option of virtual tours, but only for those 2 months.

I was actually thinking between $10-$20 per scene. I guess that sounds very low, but there are a few things to take into consideration: 1. I have very little experience; 2. People in Argentina are slow on accepting new and innovative services; 3. Money does not fly around down there like in north America. So what do you think?
It is easier to start out low and raise your prices than it is to start out high - at leasy you'll get the work. Also do much of your early stuff for free - customers will jump on it. Your families restraurant could be first - show action in the kitchen. This will allow you to build a portfolio and streamline an effective workflow. And you can make money by offering hosting services for the tours which would fall inline with your web development skills.

VinkoCM
12-05-2010, 07:54 AM
It is easier to start out low and raise your prices than it is to start out high - at leasy you'll get the work. Also do much of your early stuff for free - customers will jump on it. Your families restraurant could be first - show action in the kitchen. This will allow you to build a portfolio and streamline an effective workflow. And you can make money by offering hosting services for the tours which would fall inline with your web development skills.

Hi Bill,

I am actually working on a tour for my restaurant right now. I hope to have it up online in the next few weeks. As for the web development work, I am currently designing and building sites as well as offering the hosting. I was just thinking of adding tours as another feature for some sites.

Bill Bailey
12-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi Bill,
I am actually working on a tour for my restaurant right now. I hope to have it up online in the next few weeks. As for the web development work, I am currently designing and building sites as well as offering the hosting. I was just thinking of adding tours as another feature for some sites.
hope you might share some panos in our gallery - I would be curious to see a pano of pots and pans flying around while trying to plate in a smoky kitchen - "ORDER UP FOR TABLE 6"